Club Sun Village 22/7- 6/8 Scouse Fitz reporting

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Club Sun Village 22/7- 6/8 Scouse Fitz reporting

Postby ScouseFitz » 25 Jul 2012 10:49

Ok, well I'm two days behind with the blog, so here's a brief synopsis of the first two days.

Day 1 22/7

We arrived at Manchester for our flight with "that company". No probs at the airport, unless of course, you count £3.95 for a pint of Real Ale a problem. And I do!! Easy and comfy flight brought us to Dalaman bang on time. Then came baggage. Took what felt like a lifetime to materialise, and when it did, one case was smashed on one corner, unusable on our way home, but I'm sure we can find a cheapish new one here. We were all pretty exhausted and a little fragile, as we'd had our eldest's 18th party the night before. So, onto the ICR bus for a fast and comfy transfer to Club Sun Village. We arrived to find a little confusion over what room we were in. That was very quickly resolved and we duly flopped onto our beds for a couple of hours kip.

Nice apartment. Small, basic but spotlessly clean and with a great view over the pool, the old village, and the beautiful pine clad mountains I never get tired of looking at. Out of bed and mrs ScouseFitz and I headed off to pick up a few necessities (beer, toilet rolls, beer, and a loaf. Oh, and some beer). When we returned we were 'Papp'd' by JT at the entrance to the apartments, and I was shocked the next time I logged in, to discover that my moobs had made it onto the tinterweb. I can only apologise if this truly disturbing sight put you off your dinner!! Mrs and daughters deployed themselves on sunbathing duty at the pool (a task they took to like true professionals), and I went off to the Moonlight over the road, where we stayed last year, to say hello to Hakkan, Bobby, and Super Mario. Then back to base for a quick shower (at this point, I must speak about the shower, as I've read reviews online which talk of no hot water at certain times of the day-not true. The shower in our room is powerful enough to strip the skin off a particularly thick skinned elephant, and as for hot, take a teabag into the shower with you, and make yourself a quick cuppa while you're in there!!). Off for something to eat, and always on our first night, that means Charlie's Place (our 11 year old insists). The food and service was, as ever, fantastic. Pepper steak to die for. A little more expensive than last year, but what isn't these days? Then we returned to the apartments to acquaint ourselves with the staff and the cocktail menu!! And so, to sleep..

Day 2 23/7

The ladies head to the pool, and I head off in search of a shave. WOW! What a shave. 8tl for a full on pamper session at the barber down the side of Tansas, near to The Wayside. Bargain. Am off back there tomorrow. And I've resigned to never bring my shaving gear to Icmeler again. I then went off to find the newly relocated Three (4) Bells. At some point, someone will hopefully take the time to explain the whole "Xmas tree made of water bottles" thing to me!! It's huge! Leisurely stroll back to CSV to meet up with a friend we met last year, to discuss the various merits (or otherwise) of Chelsea and Liverpool FC. An interesting debate! Then we walked to what was Dreamboys for something to eat. Disappointing to say the least. VERY average food, the usual robot/jacko kind of entertainment. Not good and never again I'm afraid. Bamboo have bought it, as their building has gone to be replaced with the all new utterly soulless and atmosphere free 'stalls'. Nice stroll along the beach on our way home, back to base for an efes and a sleep. So, as I write, it's warm warm warm, and the pool beckons. This is Scouse Fitz, Icmeler old village, for the BBC!!
ScouseFitz

Advertisement

Re: Club Sun Village 22/7- 6/8 Scouse Fitz reporting

Postby JT » 25 Jul 2012 13:17

Nice on keep it coming

Please do it as a reply as it makes life easier :wink:
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby neecy » 25 Jul 2012 18:09

keep up the posts missing icmeler and club sun village so much, we were there in june ,but it feels like we have been back forever.
neecy

Postby waynesworld » 25 Jul 2012 19:21

Good amusing post,please keep-em coming.
waynesworld

Postby ScouseFitz » 26 Jul 2012 00:03

Day 3 26/7

I know, I know. It seems as tho I've skipped a day but in actuality, I've just caught up with what day it is, having been reminded in no uncertain terms by Mrs ScouseFitz that my days/dates are all over the place like a bad suit!! Well, today was of course, Market Day, or as it's known in my house, Blag Fred Perry Day! Daughters couldn't be bothered this time, but it's something of a tradition in my family for dad to go and pick up a few well-haggled bargains, so off mrs and I go for a customary bit o' banter at the market. Compared to recent years, it seemed a lot quieter this time. Cheaper than shoplifting tho, we were reliably informed. Cheaper than Primark too, by all accounts, so if if you're looking to spend your hard earned on a 50,000 volt Taser, to impress your friends and family, then Icmeler Market seems to be the place to be. And let's face it, who doesn't go on holiday to pick up the odd lethal weapon or two?? Seriously tho, why oh why oh why would anyone even consider it? Sad that it's the Brits who seem to be queuing up for them. Very sad. But, we acquired the requisite amount of Fred Perrys, plus a bag full of spices (I'm a chef, and I just love shopping for spices at the Market here), and it's back to base camp for a spot of lunch. Really impressed with the food at Club Sun Village (more on that later). The menu consists of all the usual faves, but much better quality and prices than the in-house food we've had on previous visits to other places. I had big ideas of going on one of my strolls round the town, but instead opted to lie down poolside for a cold beer and a sleep. At this point, I appear to have become something of a human buffet for the local wild life! I've been bitten and chewed at by some sort of creature or other. Quite a hungry creature too it would seem. The bites are everywhere. This is a new experience for me, it's usually my good lady who acts as dinner for the critters. Luckily, I brought a bottle of the Turkish lemon based antiseptic/perfume/aftersun/screen wash they sell everywhere with me, and it's doing the trick. If it came in a tin, it would do everything it says on that tin and more!

So, after a much needed lazy day, we stayed in at the apartments tonight for Turkish night. Much like every other Turkish night, but the food was truly spectacular. 3 courses of fantastic traditional Turkish food that I couldn't find a single fault with. Marvellous. And, like I say, I'm a chef with my own bar and restaurant back home, and I can be hard to impress when it comes to scran! The evening was a great laugh tho, and we met some lovely people. It also gave me the welcome opportunity to embarrass the 18yr old with a little 'Dad dancing'. I just can't help myself sometimes. And all for a tenner a head. Fantastic.
Busy day activity planning for me tomorrow, so I'll bid you farewell for now, and climb into the ever welcoming arms of Mr J Daniels esquire. Nighty night.

Paul.
ScouseFitz

Postby stevew » 26 Jul 2012 09:13

Hi Paul,
Excellent blogs, just a query regards Spices, wife wants to bring back some Spices this year, other than the obligatory, Loose Apple Tea, have you ever encountered any problems at the airports. :wink: :wink:
Steve
stevew

Advertisement

Postby ScouseFitz » 26 Jul 2012 12:22

No mate, never had a problem bringing them back. I always stick them in the case anyway. This year's top tip, Lemon Pepper. I reckon it'll be lovely on grilled chicken. If you're unsure about what spices to buy, just ask if it's ok to taste them, I always try a little on the end of my finger to see what they're like. The stallholders are usually ok with that as long as you ask first. Cheers Steve, enjoy your hol mate.
ScouseFitz

Postby ScouseFitz » 26 Jul 2012 12:22

No mate, never had a problem bringing them back. I always stick them in the case anyway. This year's top tip, Lemon Pepper. I reckon it'll be lovely on grilled chicken. If you're unsure about what spices to buy, just ask if it's ok to taste them, I always try a little on the end of my finger to see what they're like. The stallholders are usually ok with that as long as you ask first. Cheers Steve, enjoy your hol mate.
ScouseFitz

Postby molly malone » 26 Jul 2012 16:35

I'm loving your blog Scouse fitz, very entertaining. I must say I'm shocked that you can buy tasers at the market though.
molly malone

Postby neecy » 26 Jul 2012 20:24

if papas taking the boat out for the day i highly recommend it great value and brill day out
neecy

Postby ScouseFitz » 29 Jul 2012 09:41

Ok. It's catch up time again - been busy easing myself into the serious business of relaxing, and having fun, while simultaneously propping up the profits of several Turkish businesses, not least of them being Efes Ltd! 

So, Here's what I/we got up to on Thursday. 

Up at the crack of 10.30am, and after a sturdy and hearty breakfast, which today consists of 1 fresh orange juice, 2 large coffees and 3 Silk cut, I do a spot of reading by the pool til midday. Now, I'm either a mad dog or an Englishman, some would say both, so it's off for a stroll. First job is to locate Cafe Rose. Never been before, and I've heard a lot of good reports, so I wander off aimlessly in what I think is the right direction. Bump into JT, he gives me precise details of how to get there. Off he goes and I continue with my mission. Except..... Just as soon as John and I part company, I completely forget what he told me so I'm lost. As lost as Beckham looking for a game at the Olympics. I blame the heat. Eventually, after asking two or three locals, and a couple of goats, I find myself in Rose's place enjoying an ice cold Efes in her garden. Thanks Mr Goat. I book a table for the next night, thank Rose, and head off into town. Review of our meal to follow. 

Quick trip to the ICR office to firm up our booking on their boat trip next week, where im looking forward to meeting some other forum members, and to enjoy their air conditioning cos today's a real scorcher. All booked, and it's off for a bite to eat at Prince. Turkish toastie, chips, salad and a beer for 12 tl. Friendly, funny and attentive staff too. Take some photos of the newly designed square (great improvements there) including a sign which reads 'food should have some love in it' Someone should tell Dreamboys/Bamboo! My beards growing at the same rate as my overdraft, ie fast, so another Turkish shave is on the cards. Call into Trendy Hair in the square, and another fantastic shave. 9tl including cologne - pricey but nice all the same. I'm told that I have Turkish stubble! I've no idea what that even means, but still, I stride off safe in the knowledge that, while most of me is from Liverpool, my chin is from Istanbul!!

Pop into Tansas to pick up a few bits and pieces. Prices all about the same as last year, and it's back to Club Sun Village for a lengthy dip in the pool. Great staff here, Ibo, Sam and the boys are exactly what you'd expect, friendly, helpful, and great with the kids. There's 26 Norwegians here. They've colonised a whole area poolside, which from here on in we'll refer to as Little Norway. They seem to love nothing more on holiday than relaxing by waking everyone up in the middle of the night! Hmm. At one point, theyre made to apologise to one family for the disturbance. Not good, but dealt with brilliantly by the staff. 

Off to Wayside for dinner, where, amazingly, they have a free table. I don't have a bad word to say about this place. We always go there at least once when we're here, and they never fail to impress. The food, the service, and the atmosphere all brilliant. We head back to base after this as Mrs ScouseFitz isnt feeling too good from the heat. I go for a walk, and at last, in a blinding revelation, I realise the point of the giant water bottle Xmas tree at Three Bells. It lights up at night! And here's me thinking it was just a pile of old bottles. Ok, I get it now. I have seen the light. Literally. 

After a brief dance with Mr J Daniels, it's off to bed. 

Friday.
 God, now THIS is hot!! The ladies decamp poolside, and I struggle to get further than the fan in our room until 3 ish. It's a hangover I'm told. I'm just tired, I reply. Gentlemen, only WE know the truth!!

Spend a couple of hours, and a couple of Efes, round the pool then it's off to Cafe Rose. We've booked the Traditional Turkish Set Menu for the four of us. 30tl each. 

Well, where to start? Cafe Rose is basically Rose's back garden. Rose does the cooking, the washing up, and most of the serving. What a lady. She makes us feel welcome from the moment we arrive. Our table is laid and Rose is ready to impress. It's completely shaded by fruit trees, limes, figs, bananas, and oranges the size of, well, really big oranges. It's warm, but in the daytime, it's a great place to escape the heat, the hustle and indeed, the bustle. And at no point should you expect to be joined by Wacko Jacko, Tina Turner or The Backstreet Boys. No pool table, no Sky TV, no banging music, and not a robot anywhere to be seen for love nor money. 

Rose starts by telling us that our 11yr old will NOT be paying, as she can share ours. Lovely, thanks Rose. 

The starters arrive. Starters? Enough to feed a very hungry army, beautiful looking (the starters, that is, not the army), and cooked to perfection in Rose's home kitchen. Five large plates of Stuffed vine leaves, cheese rolls, courgette in a garlic yoghurt sauce, fried red peppers with garlic, stuffed green peppers, and a fantastic warm bean salad. Plus a basket or three of bread. All home cooked by Rose, and all FANTASTIC! When it comes to food, it takes a lot to impress our girls usually, but they LOVE it, and dig in with a passion they usually reserve for McDonalds. Me and the good lady love it too. We all fill up on these culinary delights, and at this point, we could easily have paid our bill, thanked Rose, and headed on our way. But Oh no, Rose hasn't finished with us yet!! Next up is a chicken casserole, cooked with garlic, wine, tomatoes, and herbs, served with perfectly cooked rice. Somehow, we find the space to devour this too. Then comes fruit. Watermelon and peaches. It was just brilliant, and I'd recommend it too everyone and anyone who's prepared to listen to me bang on about it, and believe me, bang on about it I will!! Our only problem, was that the four of us are gonna have some difficulty actually standing up to walk home. So we don't bother! We sit and just enjoy the atmosphere and spend some time reminding each other how fantastic it was. Special mention goes to Rose's one member of staff, her 13 year old Grandson, Attajan. A lovely lad who obviously loves helping his Nan out, he's great. We pay the bill, and Rose thanks and hugs and kisses us all on our way out. A special place, a special lady, and very special food. Armed to the teeth with Cafe Rose flyers, we head back to CSV to watch the queen jump out of a helicopter. A great night. You'll need to book, Rose only does the Traditional stuff Wednesdays and Fridays. Time for a kip. 
ScouseFitz

Advertisement

Postby ScouseFitz » 29 Jul 2012 09:44

Saturday. 

The hot tap on our shower broke off in my hand. Fixed in less than 10 mins with a brand new tap. Great stuff, Ibo, thanks. After breakfast, 4x Full english with PROPER bacon, its Pool day for us. Hard work this. Nice and relaxing. Had a brief walk to Tansas, and a quick complimentary Efes with Mehmet at Charlies Place (cheers!) where we discuss the catering trade for a spell (we're agreed, it's both a nightmare, and brilliant having your own restaurant!!) We book onto another boat trip, this time Papa's from CSV. We're suckers for a boat trip. I finally get a chance to finish book number 1. Then it's off for dinner at Wembley. 

We lost at Wembley.

My 18yr old had a bowl of what she described as "red water", which was described on the menu as Tomato Soup. I tasted it. She was right. Mrs had Lasagne which tasted of "absolutely nothing". I had a chicken Kiev. Well, if THAT was Chicken Kiev, I'm Vladimir Putin! Nice amusing picture of John Terry on the wall hugging Rio Ferdinand. Well, at least that got a laugh! Back to Club Sun Village to teach the littlun how to play pool, couple of beers and off to bed. 
ScouseFitz

Postby bobbysgirl » 29 Jul 2012 11:23

Hi Scouse Fitz, I just love reading your blogs - they are sooo funny and enjoyable, I feel I am with you and your family enjoying your holiday. I am sure most people will be trying Cafe Rose and we willl defo be trying in a few months. Thanks once again for brightening up my Sunday :D :D
bobbysgirl

Postby suzieg » 29 Jul 2012 13:17

keep the blog coming its hysterical we were at CSV at the begining of july and the norwgians were just starting to arrive

suzie :)
suzieg

Postby mks » 29 Jul 2012 18:43

Fantastic blog Paul. Great to read that Cafe Rose is still serving excellent Turkish food and hospitality, a definite favorite of ours.Cant wait until the 12th aug. Thank you for the information.
mks

Postby ScouseFitz » 29 Jul 2012 21:52

Thanks for your nice comments folks, nice to know someone's reading them. More of where this nonsense came from tomorrow. Cheers,
Paul.
ScouseFitz

Advertisement

Postby toonarmybarmy » 30 Jul 2012 10:06

Wow you've left me feeling a bit inadequate. Must try to get some humour back into my Blog. But then our scouse brethren have always had a good sense of humour!

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby ScouseFitz » 30 Jul 2012 16:25

Haha. Tim, we certainly do have a sense of humour, mate. After all, we paid you 35 million for Andy Carroll!!!! It's funny, cos while I'm writing my blog, I'm reading and enjoying yours. Every time I go out, I look for you and Mrs Toon having a stroll/scoot around. Hope you're enjoying your hol, mate and hopefully we'll meet up at some point. Cheers. Paul.
ScouseFitz

Postby toonarmybarmy » 31 Jul 2012 12:22

ScouseFitz wrote:Haha. Tim, we certainly do have a sense of humour, mate. After all, we paid you 35 million for Andy Carroll!!!! It's funny, cos while I'm writing my blog, I'm reading and enjoying yours. Every time I go out, I look for you and Mrs Toon having a stroll/scoot around. Hope you're enjoying your hol, mate and hopefully we'll meet up at some point. Cheers. Paul.

I think even the best sense of humour will be tested if we get him back for under 20 million! At least Kenny finally did something good for Newcastle :lol:

Please do say hello if you see us!

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby Keith » 01 Aug 2012 09:23

Great blogs scouse fitz, i am going to give it a go when we get there in August. Cafe rose sounds interesting, will have a gander when we are there, sort of place mandy likes as she likes to try different foods. Sounds as though you are all havin a fantastic time, cant wait till we are there, and if you bump into Tim tell him he still owes me a EFES!!
Keith

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers