Grand Aquarium - Sunseeker2011 (Justin) 29/07/13 to 12/08/13

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Grand Aquarium - Sunseeker2011 (Justin) 29/07/13 to 12/08/13

Postby sunseeker2011 » 30 Jul 2013 16:06

Day 1 - Monday (29th July) evening - Tuesday (30th July) day.

Arrived last night at around 10:30pm - flight was 10 mins late but made up for time with the speed demon Jet2 captain lol. Checking out was quick - hardly any queues at visa and passport control and bags came through very quick and almost all 3 came through together (a first for us). Private transfer (ICR) was waiting for us at gate 21 as stated and he stopped off to buy us a bottle of water each once we were on our way - he was a real nice chap even though he didn't speak much English - I tipped him £10 on arrival.

On arrival at the hotel we roughly unpacked and headed straight to the bar, great to see all our old friends (Grand Aquarium staff) from last year - loads of hugs and nice greetings. Had a few beers then went to bed, slept really well considering the heat - it's a great room and doesn't get too warm.

This morning we headed down for breakfast - my daughter (Amy) and I had full English and Lesley (my wife) had the continental breakfast - toast, jams and a plate full of fruit. Really nice food and reasonably cheap too. Then we headed for the poolside and spent most of the day there (apart from the 2.5 hour Turkish bath). Efes is 6.35 TL at the hotel so just a smidgen over last year (6TL).

We had our Turkish Bath at the Grand Aquarium and was bliss - we had the Turkish Bath, body and face mud pack, foam and full body massage - expensive but worth every penny.

We're going to stay at the hotel for a meal tonight and head for Icmeler tomorrow to book some excursions and buy myself a nice fake Breitling watch :)

Not much to post about today as it was a settling-in day - should have more to write about tomorrow and will try and get some pictures of prices for meal, drinks etc...
sunseeker2011

Advertisement

Re: Grand Aquarium - Sunseeker2011 (Justin) 29/07/13 to 12/0

Postby shelly » 30 Jul 2013 19:36

Thankyou sunseeker , for your blogging looking forward to reading them :D :D
shelly

Postby sunseeker2011 » 31 Jul 2013 15:23

Day 2 (Wednesday 31st July)

Well, last nights meal at The Grand Aquarium was huge and rather delicious - I had the Special Meatballs (huge meatballs cooked with fresh tomatoes and grilled cheese on top), my wife had an aubergine casserole dish (she's vegetarian but does occasionally eat fish) and my fussy daughter just had chicken soup and a portion of chips (she always says she's not hungry - I guess it's her body conscious age of 16). The full meal was just short of 50TL and there was no way on earth we could eat it all - it could have fed an army for a week lol. It was accompanied with chips, rice AND mash potato with vegetables.

The entertainment was the same old Michael Jackson dancer but he was very good - I'm told he's is (or was) the Turkish Michael Jackson champion - who knows??? Then it was an audience participation game of guests versus staff - who could do the most press-ups, skipping, balloon blowing and beer drinking (through a straw), all good fun!

We eventually went to bed at around 00:30 for an early(ish) start to today...

So we got up for around 8:00 and made our way down for breakfast - today I had scrambled eggs on toast, the wife had her continental again and my daughter had jam on toast followed by a nice cup of coffee.

Back to the room and got ready for the beach - we caught the Dolmus and ended up at the beach (don't know which one but sunbeds were 5TL each and we had a few drinks and a snack (1 chip butty, 1 portion of chips, 3 Efes and 5 bottles of water for 25TL). Also had a nice swim in the sea and we all got a little sunburn but not too bad.

On our way back I stopped at Tony's Tick Tock Shop and got myself a nice fake Breitling for £40 and my daughter bought (well I bought her) some perfume for £20. I was going to book some excursions but didn't manage to get round to it for some reason and we had the usual "eat at my restaurant" banter on our way back but eventually got the Dolmus back and tonight I think we'll go to Tommy's Bar for our meal as the hotel entertainment is Turkish dancers (not our cup of tea really).

Will let you know tomorrow how the meal went...

speak later peeps :)
sunseeker2011

Postby Sami » 01 Aug 2013 09:41

Good start Justin, have a great time and keep us all updated. :D
Sami

Postby sunseeker2011 » 01 Aug 2013 16:40

Day 3 (Thursday 1st August)

Hag a lovely meal at Tommy’s last night, I had the Chicken Fajitas (even better than I remember), My wife had a tomato and garlic pasta dish that was very nice too, and my daughter had the tomato soup (like I said before she’s not into ‘eating’ as she’s at that age which is quite annoying at times – bless her). The free garlic bread and dips for the starter was really nice and light so as not to fill you up too much – it was all puffed up and it looks like a Zepplin lol.

We got back to the Hotel at around 10pm and the entertainment was just starting. To say I wasn’t that bothered about seeing it, it was very good - traditional Turkish Dancers – and before that a belly dancer who had a few guys (myself included) up on the stage topless (us not her lol) and we had to copy her dance moves and do a solo dance – good clean fun  Finally went to bed around 12:30am.

Today I left Lesley and Amy at the hotel while I took a wander into Icmeler - after a 15 minute leisurely walk I was at Icmeler square (near the fountains). I mainly went to book the excursions at April Travel (due to recommendations from various sources). I eventually found Eric after wandering around for a while and also met Billy boy (lookalike from DIY SOS) – I think it was Florida bar – had a quick Efes here as it was so hot the off to see Eric…

Well, Eric seems one of the most friendliest and genuine people I have ever met – had a really nice chat and booked four trips (Village Tour, Dalyan mud baths, Aqua Dream and Jeep Safari). He also did me a very good price on all these - that was confirmed as I was chatting to another Travel Operator as I was stood waiting for the Dolmus back (although I ended up walking back anyway).

Back to the hotel for around 2pm and had another lazy day by the pool but also participated in some pool games and killer pool – always something to do at the Grand Aquarium).

Another great day and I will miss this place so much – but trying not to think about returning yet, just enjoying my stay.

Tonight we will take a stroll into Icmeler again as we’re eating at the Tandoori Sizzler – last year the food was amazing so am look0ng forward to that even though I know they are different owners now.

Will keep you informed if they have free wi-fi (I’m sure someone must have around there)

Bye for now,

Justin
sunseeker2011

Postby sunseeker2011 » 04 Aug 2013 16:44

Firstly, sorry for the lack of blogs but having such a good time I keep forgetting lol.

Yesterday was Memories boat trip (non ICR) and was a great day out, plenty of sunbeds, swim stops and visted Turunc, also very cheap at £10 each (all inclusive too).

Sunday 4th august 2013

Not too much to write about today as had a lazy day by the pool – what a scorcher though – definitely the hottest day for us so far – the pool thermometer was showing 39 degrees C at 6pm – that is in the shade too. We managed about 15 minutes on the sun lounger before dipping in the pool to cool down. Then the parasol went up and we sat under that most of the day. I still managed to catch some colour though.

Last night we went to the 3/4 Bells after hearing all the good reviews on forums and facebook pages. Well, we weren’t disappointed, the Yam Yam chicken was awesome (would definitely recommend that). My wife had a Korean noodle dish without the meat or chicken due to her being vegetarian – she said that was lovely too. We got talking to a couple who have been going to Icmeler for several years and they always have to go to the 3/4 Bells at least once every visit…

We got back to the hotel just in time for the snake acrobats – I watched from a very safe distance as I cannot stand the critters, however, I did feel a little sorry for them as they were being thrown all over the place as they ‘danced’ with them – 2 of them were huge (at least 10 foot long).

We then had a go at the bingo and I was surprised to say that I did get one line, got 10 TL for that. The jackpot was 460TL and tonight it is 480TL so might have to have another go later. It’s something like full house in 64 numbers to win the jackpot.

Tonight we’re going to try Florida Bar so will take pics of food and post later on.

Until tomorrow – see ya folks…
sunseeker2011

Advertisement

Postby shelly » 04 Aug 2013 18:14

Glad to here your having a great time , we love the three bells too :D keep up with the blogging we love reading them . :D
shelly

Postby sunlover loch lomond » 04 Aug 2013 19:09

Same here Justin. Following you on here and another forum and thoroughly enjoying hearing about your holiday. Looking forward to your next instalment.
sunlover loch lomond

• Advertisement

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers