Chris & Anita Blog

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Chris & Anita Blog

Postby Chris221273 » 11 Aug 2012 19:05

Departure day.
Taxi arrived 5 minutes early, huge queues on the M25, gladly on the other side, and so ensued a hassle free journey to Gatwick.
Flight left on time, 3hrs 40mins later we were at Dalaman. Visa & Passport control very quick just like last year. Off to collect baggage and ours were some of the first bags on the conveyor belt :-) Straight outside to be met by our ICR driver, and a 5 minute wait for another group of 4 and we were on our way to Icmeler. 
1 1/2hrs later we arrived at the Senem. Sorted aircon/safe out, then up to our rooms. Bags all dumped and off for a wander at 2am.
A guy comes past on his moped, says hello, and asks what we are looking for. We say we're just having a wander and hoping to find a bar that's open. "Come to jimmys place, I am closed but I will re-open for you"!
So we walk down, and sure enough, jimmy, his wife and daughter are stood there to greet us. A couple of drinks later,  jimmy asks us if we are hungry......20 minutes later we have chicken kebabs in wraps, and home made chips, both of which none of us have ever tasted so good. Then after that, 7 plates of beautiful, juicy melon.....on the house! Then, at 4.30am, we decide we should leave, and jimmy says "you not walk home, jimmy take you home, and proceeds to take us back to the Senem in his minibus. Anita & I knew what the people of Icmeler were like, but the look in the kids faces when we left was one we'll never forget, having met only jimmy, they're gobsmacked at the friendliness.  Icmeler, in one word........Paradise!
That's departure day blog done, it's now 4.45am, I'm sat on the balcony, with an ice cold Efes, listening to the call to prayer, and thanking God /Allah for blessing us with the fortune to have found this place called Icmeler.
Sweet dreams people. 

Day one.
So, we were put in the attic room, but I wasn't going to be put off by others reviews and thought so what, it's just a base camp!!
I was wrong......the room is ridiculously hot, the aircon is blowing out warm air, not the crisp cold air the kids have got in there room downstairs.
So, first thing tomorrow I'm off down to see if we can get another room. I was so unwilling to complain, but even with the aircon on its just too hot to even sleep! 
So, at 5.44am we are all sat on the balcony trying to keep cool.
Walked down from the Senem to the beach this morning at 6am, that was pleasant, and got some nice pics of the sun shining. 
Came back to the apartments, with milk for a cup of tea, at this point I realised we didn't have a kettle!! And the fridge doesn't chill either! Not a good start! 
Crashed for a couple of hours, then got up and we all went off on a wander. Spoke to one of the guys about the aircon, kettle  and fridge, said he'd get it sorted while we were out. We've come back, at 8.30pm, aircon the same, fridge the same and no kettle.
Really have to say, considering the amazing reviews this place has got, we are seriously unimpressed at the moment! Spoke to guy I spoke to this morning.....oh I forgot, we will do it in the morning! Just having a shower then asking for another room. I don't expect the ritz.......but I do expect to get what I've paid for, and at the moment I haven't! Kids room is lovely, spacious and ice cold!!! Off to jimmys for dinner now. Goodnight all.
Chris221273

Advertisement

Re: Chris & Anita Blog

Postby carol0912 » 11 Aug 2012 21:18

Not good Chris. Hope you get the room sorted.
Love reading the blogs. Keep them coming please.
2 weeks to go and I can do my own blogs :D :D
Where was the place you went on first night. Sounds great.
carol0912

Postby Caltonian » 11 Aug 2012 21:36

As live as it can be lol. Great blog so far Chris.

Excellent chance meeting for you, your first night was as good as it gets :D
Caltonian

Postby Chris221273 » 11 Aug 2012 23:42

Having arrived back at the apartments it's still like an oven with the aircon on.
Have asked to move and been shown 3 attic rooms, all hot and aircon not blowing ice cold air, witch the guy who took me there admitted.
The same guy who showed me to the last room physically grabbed my arm and pushed it infront of the aircon, saying it works, which it wasn't, and that I must wait 30 minutes till it starts coming out cold!!!!!!
So angry words can't describe it!!!!
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby Chris221273 » 11 Aug 2012 23:57

Carol the place we went was jimmys bar/ Buket Bar. Such a lovely guy. Will literally do anything for you.
Had dinner there tonight, lovely food, jimmy bought us a drink and also took us home.
Do hope people pay him a visit, he's brilliant.
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby sandybeach » 12 Aug 2012 07:22

Whereabouts is Jimmys bar as i would like to visit this bar?
sandybeach

Advertisement

Postby Chris221273 » 12 Aug 2012 07:39

If you come out of the Senem and go left, down to the junction and left again and walk straight down its infront of you.
It's also opposite the Dejavu bar.
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby bobbysgirl » 12 Aug 2012 10:28

I love the blogs and hope you continue to update :) I also hope you get your room sorted or at least the air con, nothing worse if you can't sleep. Good luck with this :D
bobbysgirl

Postby Sue » 12 Aug 2012 12:06

Thanks for the updates, we went to senem twice last year but not in attic rooms, we had a few problems once went to reception and it was sorted straight away :D going back in four weeks and booked my particular apartment with erhan
Sue

Postby Chris221273 » 12 Aug 2012 13:15

Day 2
Up at 7am today. Last night was generally a little cooler by the time we went to bed, so was just about bearable.
Came down about 9am and saw the manager, and am pleased to say we have now been moved to a ground floor apartment, with working aircon and a kettle.
Have to say, everyone was much more helpful this morning.
Left to go and meet some family who flew in last night, and then ,off to the beach.
Beach prices have gone up, and what with the free beaches thing its now a lot quieter. It's no where near as busy as it was last year.
Stayed on the paid beach with the brilliant Ibrahim, 3tl each. The look on his face and the big smile, having been a year since we saw him was worth the 3tl alone.
After a few hours we have decided to go and watch the footy at the Scotia bar, while the girlies swim in the pool.
Ten of us off to the Buffalo tonight for dinner, and will post an evening update after the meal.
Have to say there are still some real bargain meals to be had still.
Red Lion are doing 5 course meal, with the usual steak or chicken, any soup, garlic bread, Turkish meze, and then ice cream finish, and first drink free, and for the 3 under sixteens.....dinner is free!!! And he'll pick you up and take you home.Steak £10....chicken £8!!! We will try that maybe tomorrow night and let you all know how it was.
Temp on board was reading 38.....feels a hell of a lot hotter than that though, so maybe the wires are fried!!!
Exchange rate has gone up very slightly to 2.76tl.
I would type more, but my efes is getting hot ;-)
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby bobbysgirl » 12 Aug 2012 16:33

Glad you are now sorted out with your room - you will be a happy bunny! Thanks for the blog - looking forward to others :D
bobbysgirl

Advertisement

Postby haydn » 12 Aug 2012 16:49

great blog, glad to hear you got the room sorted. 45 days till i get to icmeler cant wait
haydn

Postby Sue » 12 Aug 2012 17:20

love the updates, glad you have moved rooms the ground floor ones are excellent , only 33 days until i go to senem :lol:
Sue

Postby sunlover loch lomond » 12 Aug 2012 17:32

Great to hear you have got the room situation sorted. We always have had a ground floor room and found them good. Hopefully we will get one when we go again mid September and will be e-mailing Erhan to ask. We will need to give Jimmy's a try as we have never been there. Keep the blogs coming, they are great and we much appreciate you taking the time to do them.
sunlover loch lomond

Postby carol0912 » 12 Aug 2012 21:06

Chris221273 wrote:If you come out of the Senem and go left, down to the junction and left again and walk straight down its infront of you.
It's also opposite the Dejavu bar.
Chris & Anita

Thanks Chris
Staying at Prestij which is next door to Dejavu,so will certainly try it. Don't remember it!!!
carol0912

Postby Chris221273 » 13 Aug 2012 20:18

Day 3
We had a bit of a late night yesterday. 
Went to the Buffalo for dinner and was lovely as per usual. Nice food and great company. I popped across the road for a head and face Turkish shave.....and promptly nodded off!!!! As Anita would say...."if you touch chris' head, he's out like a light"!!!
We stayed at the Buffalo till about 2am, and then came back to the apartments and sat with 'Tanna' for an hour and a half chatting.
Today has been a lazy day so far.
Down to the buffalo for breakfast....9tl for 2 full English breakfasts. My daughter had an egg & bacon roll, and out came a big plate, with chips salad to accompany the roll. It was the size of a big main meal....and cost 3 1/2tl!!!
Finished our drinks and wandered round to the scotia bar again. Sat there for 3 hours having a lovely dip in the pool and jut relaxing. I have now left them all to it and have come back to apartment for a siesta. Going to go to the Red Lion for dinner tonight. Will let you all know about it tomorrow.
That's all for now, as there is a pillow in the bedroom with my name written all over it :-)
Will try and write more later or will do another blog tomorrow.
Today's temp in the square was reading 44 degrees c and exchange rate has gone up slightly. I got 2.76 but I think it might well be 2.78 elsewhere. 
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Advertisement

Postby sylvia » 13 Aug 2012 21:25

Thanks chris great blogs keep them coming. :D :)
sylvia

Postby ayesha1974 » 14 Aug 2012 06:30

hi chris great blogs really enjoying them but just wanted to ask apart from the trouble you had with your room how has the apartments been since you got it sorted do get get much hassle of the staff ?? my reason for asking is me and my family are due at the senem this friday but need a ground floor room for my mum due to mobility problems have e mailed the apartments direct but the response was not that helpful so am how getting worried she will be stuck in an upstairs room but fingers crossed it will be ok just cant wait to get back to paradise and will definately be trying jimmys bar
ayesha1974
New User
New User

Postby Chris221273 » 14 Aug 2012 08:13

Day 4
Here we are again.....the morning after the night before!
We went down to The Red Lion, and have to say what a brilliant night.
We've done expensive restaurants and cheaper ones, but the Red Lion's food was the best we've had this year, and last year. 
Al Pacino (aka the boss man), is an absolute diamond, and along with all his superb staff made it a really really good night. They had loads of entertainment on, Michael Jackson (who is also the dj and magic man).....brilliant! Great dancer....great great guy.
They also had Turkish dancers....also very good. The bar staff were brilliant, and the guy who works his magic with the cocktail bottles really has to be seen to be appreciated. 
As a group of 10 people, we all agreed that this is one place that we would go back to again and again.
So if any of you want amazing food....amazing staff and a fabulous night try The Red Lion.....you won't be disappointed.
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby Chris221273 » 14 Aug 2012 08:23

ayesha1974 wrote:hi chris great blogs really enjoying them but just wanted to ask apart from the trouble you had with your room how has the apartments been since you got it sorted do get get much hassle of the staff ?? my reason for asking is me and my family are due at the senem this friday but need a ground floor room for my mum due to mobility problems have e mailed the apartments direct but the response was not that helpful so am how getting worried she will be stuck in an upstairs room but fingers crossed it will be ok just cant wait to get back to paradise and will definately be trying jimmys bar

Hi Ayesha.
We've had no problems since being moved. The staff are all fine and don't hassle you to stay and eat there.
From what we've seen it looks like a lot of people are put in the attic rooms first.
Had 2 new couples arrive yesterday and know one of them has asked to be moved, and have to wait till Wednesday till a room is empty.
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers