DSLR Camera

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

DSLR Camera

Postby Eatock08 » 07 Mar 2013 17:25

Hello

Can anyone help me! I'm getting myself all confused! What's the difference between a polarised filter and a UV filter?

If I wanted to take a photo that included the reflection in water, would I need a filter or a hood?

Thanks, Alison :wink:
Eatock08

Advertisement

Re: DSLR Camera

Postby D Craddock » 07 Mar 2013 18:43

I am not a camera expert, but I think a poloriser is best for cutting
down glare particularly taking pics of sea and water. UV are used to
cut sun haze, but usually to protect the cams delicate and expensive lens from damage
scratchers etc.
D Craddock

Postby Eatock08 » 07 Mar 2013 19:12

Thanks for your reply, there's too much information on the net ha ha, I need photography for dummies book :?
Eatock08

Postby stevew » 07 Mar 2013 19:23

Hi.
A polorising filter allows you to photograph through water or glass as if it's not there, a uv really only protects the lens,,,
Steve
stevew

Postby sunseeker2011 » 11 Mar 2013 07:08

Eatock08 wrote:Hello

Can anyone help me! I'm getting myself all confused! What's the difference between a polarised filter and a UV filter?

If I wanted to take a photo that included the reflection in water, would I need a filter or a hood?

Thanks, Alison :wink:

I've just finished a photography course as I plan to go pro this/next year. As has been said a polorising filter cuts down glare so you would see things beneath the water (providing it's clear lol). most are circular polorising filters which means that you turn the ring on the filter - this either adds, or reduces the glare - also good for taking pictures of skies and clouds (skies are blue-er and clouds are whiter). The thing to remember is they are most effective if the sun is at 90 degrees to the subject you are photographing.

A UV filter does exactly what it says - filters out ultra-violet rays although most modern camera lenses have a UV coating on the front lens. I use one mainly to protect the lens in case of a drop or scratch - much cheaper to replace a UV filter than a lens. Same principle of a lens hood, added protection of the lens but are mainly used to cut lens flare (the decreasing circles of light that your lens can pick up) but used correctly lens flare can look quite arty :).

Make sure you select the correct hood for your lens - for example, if your lens end rotates as you zoom (most cheaper ones do) you'll need a 'round' hood to avoid vignetting (dark patches in the corners of your image), if it doesn't rotate when you zoom, you can get a 'petal' shaped hood.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

[edit] I don't know which model of DSLR you have but I've got a Canon 600D and there's a book called 'Snapshots to Great Shots' by a guy called Jeff Revell - different ones for different camera's and there is one for most DSLR's - have a look, a great book and some good advice. Cost is around £10-£15 from Amazon

[edit2] I forgot to mention, always buy the best filter you can afford, cheap filters are a waste of money - Hoya is a good brand name for filters but try to avoid ebay as there are lots of fakes around, expect to pay around £15-£20 for a good one.
sunseeker2011

Postby Eatock08 » 11 Mar 2013 15:26

Thank you so much for your reply, I got o Nikon D3100 so ill have a look on amazon at some books.

Unfortunately already bought some cheap filters from eBay ha ha so I'll see how I get on with them. :oops:

The hood came with the lens, I'll probably have more questions as I'm trying to take photos ha ha :wink:
Eatock08

Advertisement

Postby sunseeker2011 » 11 Mar 2013 15:30

Eatock08 wrote:Thank you so much for your reply, I got o Nikon D3100 so ill have a look on amazon at some books.

Unfortunately already bought some cheap filters from eBay ha ha so I'll see how I get on with them. :oops:

The hood came with the lens, I'll probably have more questions as I'm trying to take photos ha ha :wink:

No need, here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3100-Sna ... 370&sr=1-1

lol

Seriously, a great book and you will learn a lot in the first couple of chapters.

Just a quick tip - the cheap filters you bought off ebay (I don't know how cheap they were) but they can cause more problems in the long run - I've known some people that have damaged the lens thread when trying to remove them. Seriously, bin them and learn from your mistakes...
sunseeker2011

Postby Eatock08 » 12 Mar 2013 16:58

Thank you, book purchased and studying will commence at the weekend!

Hopefully will get some decent photos in July to showcase on here :lol:
Eatock08

Postby JT » 12 Mar 2013 18:27

I know it is nice to pay the author (actually the selling house) for stuff but if anyone wants these types of books for nowt then they are all over the internet for free
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby sunseeker2011 » 13 Mar 2013 06:54

JT wrote:I know it is nice to pay the author (actually the selling house) for stuff but if anyone wants these types of books for nowt then they are all over the internet for free

Can also get some 'cheap' holidays John :wink: we all need to make a living so I'd rather pay than blag stuff for free - that's half of problem with the British Economy, everyone wants 'something for nothing' and the shops start closing (look at Jessops). Not wanting to get into a political debate - besides breaking forum rules, doesn't make for good reading. :arrow:
sunseeker2011

Postby JT » 13 Mar 2013 15:36

Actually Justin they are all there for back ups

That is the legal standing on them

I have many many many photograpy books in my collection at home and all paper but I also download them for free as a back up and if needed I can go to my storage space and find the article or page I need

I do that for games especially for pc as they do wear out on the disc so now also stored on hard drives

Music though is another thing and I no longer download it as there are so many music sites that you can use like a juke box I just play them live so to speak

As for the holidays Justin, yes you can get cheap ones online but OURS are cheaper or matched to ANY price online.

We do not own or lease aeroplanes so we match or make cheaper accommodations and that is why that is stated on the top of the forum

Our transfers are also cheaper than anyone elses so you either book with us and pay cheaper or you go elsewhere and pay more

There are many places to shop from for all types of merchandise and it is up to yourself where you want to spend your money and what type of goods and also services you want to pay for
JT
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

Postby JT » 13 Mar 2013 15:41

Alison my apologies for this topic to have gone off topic.
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby sunseeker2011 » 14 Mar 2013 06:42

JT wrote:Alison my apologies for this topic to have gone off topic.

Same here, sorry 'bout that - happy clicking :)
sunseeker2011

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat