Whats with the prices of....

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

Whats with the prices of....

Postby MichelleSmith » 15 Feb 2013 16:37

Extra Leg Room...

£21.99 per person, each way. What a ridiculous amount. £132 for all three return.

Can Monarch get any greedier. What are peoples views on this?

Truthfully, if they reduced the price slightly maybe more people would start using the Extra Leg Room service rather than having empty seats like last time.
MichelleSmith

Advertisement

Re: Whats with the prices of....

Postby dksbbs » 15 Feb 2013 16:47

MichelleSmith wrote:Extra Leg Room...

£21.99 per person, each way. What a ridiculous amount. £132 for all three return.

Can Monarch get any greedier. What are peoples views on this?

Truthfully, if they reduced the price slightly maybe more people would start using the Extra Leg Room service rather than having empty seats like last time.

Personally I think it is good value, if you want extra leg room you pay the price. In the end they are a business with shareholders and need to make a profit, they have taken at least one row of seats out to offer this service so they need to recover the costs of those 6(+) passengers.

I paid for it last year and have paid again for the 6 of this year, I prefer the option on booking to guarantee the extra leg room than risk trying to get a wing exit on checkin.

For me Jet2 have made a mistake withdrawing this service on some of their routes, I think people will switch to Monarch in the future.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby blondie » 15 Feb 2013 16:59

No way would I pay extra for something like this - it's just encouraging their greed! Flights are expensive enough as it is without forking out even more for "extras" like this. Rather keep my hard-earned cash and spend it once I arrive in Icmeler - what a rip-off!
blondie

Postby sylvia » 15 Feb 2013 21:26

Well said Blondie prices are high enough with out having to pay extra. :( :(
sylvia

Postby kentcabbie » 15 Feb 2013 23:33

No choice if your 6,2" spent to many flights trying to fit into tommy cooks seats, worth every penny for the extra room.
kentcabbie

Postby blondie » 16 Feb 2013 07:51

My hubby is, but being a canny Scot, he wouldn't fork out the extra cash either.
blondie

Advertisement

Postby JT » 16 Feb 2013 08:38

I can stand at a bar for 4 hours so standing up and annoying the staff is not a problem

I have said this before I know but I once sat in a toilet for 4 hours with my laptop on my knee on a tcook flight from Dalaman to Manchester because I could not sit in the seat

I also did a stupid thing once and bought a very cheap ticket to Las Vegas with tcook and stood up at the back of the plane for 10 hours drinking Jack Daniels and chatting with staff because I couldnt sit comfortably

Turkish Airlines is the one for me going to Turkey, lots of leg room and a relaxing flight
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby booker » 16 Feb 2013 10:36

i'm so happy being 5' 7" with short legs. 8)
booker

Postby Sami » 16 Feb 2013 12:33

booker wrote:i'm so happy being 5' 7" with short legs. 8)

LOL, I'm 5' 2" so I'm well happy. Sometimes I can even cross my legs in my seat if its a bigger space! :lol:
Sami

Postby JT » 16 Feb 2013 12:37

I would be very careful about saying you are happy as they may read and make the seating even smaller
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Chocoholic » 16 Feb 2013 13:09

I think the Airlines should for a change do the passengers a service and not limit their extra leg room seats for those who are financially able to pay but should provide them free for passengers who are over 6ft tall, the tallest ones on the passenger list should be given the seats. not first come first served but tallest given them, would only take seconds to measure people if they had a chart to stand against and you could state you are tall on booking form. My family are ok and quite petite but I have felt so sorry for very tall guys in discomfort squashed in seats with legroom designed for five-foot nothings.
Chocoholic

Advertisement

Postby kentcabbie » 16 Feb 2013 14:44

JT wrote:I would be very careful about saying you are happy as they may read and make the seating even smaller

Don't think they could make them any smaller ,but might help if they all weld up the seats so you can't recline them, always seem to sit behind someone who wants to recline their seat just when the inflight meals been served..Rog.
kentcabbie

Postby Dodomo » 16 Feb 2013 15:50

My husband has reduced mobility so always have to book assistance, advise from Monarch last year if he has a problem with seating to get a letter from doctor stating his problems and they will allocate seats with extra leg space at front of plane for him and carer at no charge we done this last year and when we came to book this year letter was still on file. Not sure if this applies to other airlines

Doreen and Bill
Dodomo

Postby Jay Trip » 16 Feb 2013 21:00

I am 5ft 10ins so not as tall as some folk but I had to sit sideways on a Thomas Cook flight last month.
I was really uncomfortable but then girl in front on me decided to recline her seat which was resting on my knees.
I asked her to move it off my knees which she did but I was prepared to get up and stand in the aisle if she refused.
I will now only travel with Thomson as most planes from our airport have the new slim line seats which seem to have more leg room.
We were told on a Thomson flight last October that they were taking out 6 rows to make more leg room but this has put the price up considerably for their flights!
It seems the customer just cant win.I expect them to weigh passengers soon and charge for extra weight!
Jay Trip

Postby Canli » 17 Feb 2013 09:46

I'm only 5'2", but on our last TC flight my knees were squashed up against the seat in front, and the guy sitting behind me, who was about 6', spent the whole flight jarring my back every few minutes as he tried to get comfortable. Surely for safety's sake there should be more room between the seats. You should at least be able to get in and out of the inner seats in an emergency without having to climb over them. Unfortunately it all boils down to money, as usual. If you want comfort, you have to pay dearly for it.
Canli

Postby smc4761 » 17 Feb 2013 10:34

Last year we travelled with Jet 2 and have to say I was impressed with the amount of legroom. I am a fairly normal height at 5 10 and slightly plump but fitted into the seat quite easily. One good thing about them as well is that the seats are fixed so you dont get the grief of the person in front putting their seat back.

Typically Jet 2 are cheaper than Thomsons who I find are very expensive. Thomson are supposed to be taking out about 5 rows of seats on most if not all their planes so I am sure we can all guess what is gong to happen with the prices
smc4761

Advertisement

Postby MichelleSmith » 17 Feb 2013 17:34

I personally don't like the 'normal' extra leg room seats. I prefer to pick the extra leg room at the front of the plane where there seems to be more room as there are no seats infront of you!
MichelleSmith

Postby Jay Trip » 17 Feb 2013 17:45

Michelle on many planes these are classed as medical seats and you cant book them but we noticed on the TC last month they sold them leaving disabled passengers having to squeeze into seats further down the plane.
Jay Trip

Postby sunseeker2011 » 21 Feb 2013 10:04

Last year we flew with Thomas Cook and on the way out they had reclining seats - leg room wasn't too bad but on the return flight we had a different plane without reclining seats (we were told they were all going to be non-recliners this year) and to be honest, it was much better and there was definitely more legroom.

On another note, in 2011 we flew with Monarch who (on our return journey) moved my wife and I to the front of the back row so we could really lay out. I'm not sure why they chose us, neither of us are overly tall or large but it was much appreciated.
sunseeker2011

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat