Istanbul

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

Istanbul

Postby dksbbs » 01 Nov 2012 12:10

Thinking about going to Istanbul for my 50th birthday next October with my good lady for 5 nights, I have checked the flights and with Turkish Airlines they are £204 so not a bad price.

Can anyone recommend a hotel near the main attractions, must have a bar for the evening nightcaps and hopefully in a quiet area. I don't want a budget hotel so looking for 3* maybe a 4* if the price is right.

Also as we will have only 4 full days what are the must see's besides Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar.

Also any ideas of prices for beer and food.

Dave
dksbbs

Advertisement

Re: Istanbul

Postby blondie » 01 Nov 2012 13:42

Will be interested in this too, Dave - as I also reach that landmark next year (March) and have also been planning to visit Istanbul, maybe a couple of other places and then finish up in Icmeler.
blondie

Postby JT » 01 Nov 2012 17:59

Don't forget that we do arrange multi centre holidays so remember to contact us with your details and let us make up a package for you

Dave we have really nice fully fitted apartments in Besiktas just a few minutes walk to Topkapi Palace, if you are interested then drop me a line and I will get you a link to the photo's
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Elayne » 02 Nov 2012 21:04

ooooo just thought i would join this is mty daughter is going on sunday to Istanbul for the first time, staying with a turkish family though, fab experience x
Elayne

Postby mark » 03 Nov 2012 07:19

Myself and my wife are off to Istanbul on the 9th November for 5 nights so will post when we return.We cant wait. :D :D :D :D :D .
mark

Postby blondie » 03 Nov 2012 08:58

Look forward to hearing how you get on - hope you have a fab time!
blondie

Advertisement

Postby dksbbs » 03 Nov 2012 15:35

JT wrote:
Dave we have really nice fully fitted apartments in Besiktas just a few minutes walk to Topkapi Palace, if you are interested then drop me a line and I will get you a link to the photo's

John we may be interested, can you send me details, is it a complex with bar etc

Dave
dksbbs

Postby JT » 03 Nov 2012 17:40

Best thing to do Dave is mail me with all your requirements as maybe a hotel next to the Blue Mosque area may suit better

The apartments are fully fitted etc not in a hotel but there are bars close by
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby wishingwell » 04 Nov 2012 11:55

Hi
The Basilica Cistern are fabulous and not to be missed.
My husabnd and I went last December (he was 50 not me!). The weather was lovely we could wear T-Shirts during the day. Also have a Turkish tea in the cafe on the hill at the back of the palace gardens. You get a great view acrross the bosphorus.

We found the food in Istanbul cheap but the (alcoholic) drinks expensive.

Have a fabulous time-we loved it. :D
wishingwell

Postby JT » 05 Nov 2012 11:23

Yes the Basilica was one of the main things I wanted to see and I think is 5 lira if you are not a Turkish resident

in that area (across the road) is the Blue Mosque and of course Ayasofya, just around the corner from the Basilica is the famous Grand Bazaar where you can walk for hours through the maze of streets or sit and watch the world go by in a tea or coffee house

Alcohol in Istanbul is actually the normal price for Turkish cities as London is more expensive in the main to the rest of the UK

It is the resorts that keep the prices down for the UK visitors hence some apartments in Icmeler only opening for July, August and September to take Turkish guests as they expect to pay a higher price for their goods

Istanbul is a fascinating place and a great place to walk through tiny streets and you never know what you will find at the other end

We arrange breaks in all hotels in Istanbul so please contact us if there is anything we can do for you
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby blondie » 05 Nov 2012 12:07

I will definitely be in touch re this, JT - I would love to spend a few days in Istanbul then make our way to Icmeler, perhaps with a couple of stops at some smaller, more typically Turkish places, on the way. Will let you know more of our plans once we've settled on dates, etc.
blondie

Advertisement

Postby Elayne » 05 Nov 2012 14:14

my daughter arrived in istanbul last night and her solid brass lock had gone off her case and someone had been in her case as all her stuff was messed up, nothing was missing as she only had her clothes and make up in there, it's disgusting what some people do
Elayne

Postby reesy1959 » 05 Nov 2012 17:06

Elayne wrote:my daughter arrived in istanbul last night and her solid brass lock had gone off her case and someone had been in her case as all her stuff was messed up, nothing was missing as she only had her clothes and make up in there, it's disgusting what some people do

Absolutely disgusting! I hope it doesn't spoil the rest of her time.
reesy1959

Postby JT » 05 Nov 2012 18:41

Elayne if you are talking about when she landed then it was a long time ago just after the 9/11 that locks were not the right thing to have on cases on international flights

If you fly to the States and have a lock on your case then it will be broken

I have never had a problem flying THY into Turkey and doubt others will have but you should not padlock a case otherwise it may be broken
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby dksbbs » 05 Nov 2012 19:02

JT wrote:
We arrange breaks in all hotels in Istanbul so please contact us if there is anything we can do for you

I will get in touch early next year when I know for definite that we will be going

Dave
dksbbs

Postby Elayne » 06 Nov 2012 05:20

JT wrote:Elayne if you are talking about when she landed then it was a long time ago just after the 9/11 that locks were not the right thing to have on cases on international flights

I have never had a problem flying THY into Turkey and doubt others will have but you should not padlock a case otherwise it may be broken

really i didn't know this, i have flown to the states after 9/11 and always used a lock with no problem. but still don't get why as the case would have been x rayed anyway and surley there was no need to root around her case !
Elayne

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 06 Nov 2012 08:47

I
Elayne wrote:
JT wrote:Elayne if you are talking about when she landed then it was a long time ago just after the 9/11 that locks were not the right thing to have on cases on international flights

really i didn't know this, i have flown to the states after 9/11 and always used a lock with no problem. but still don't get why as the case would have been x rayed anyway and surley there was no need to root around her case !

I must admit I have never used a lock on my case mainly due to the fact that it could indicate that you do have valuables inside and if the thief wants to get in your case a small padlock would not stop them.
Although the case would have been x rayed sometimes they cannot always determine what the contents are inside of the case, I have been asked to identify a small docking station for my ipod 3 times at Dalaman.
Glad your daughters stuff was all there and in tact, sure your daughter will have a great time. I visited a couple of years ago for a few days and had a great time.
Security was quite tight there at the time and when visiting shopping malls your handbag has to be ex rayed and you have to walk through one of those metal detector frames.
Sandy
sandybeach

Postby Elayne » 06 Nov 2012 10:36

well i have emailed a complaint to them, see where thats gets me lol
Elayne

Postby sandybeach » 06 Nov 2012 11:35

lol Elayne sure your daughter will have a great time.. I visited Istanbul late January and I was not prepared for how cold it was as it was colder than UK.
sandybeach

Postby dksbbs » 07 Nov 2012 14:15

I have started doing some research the following is a possible tour recommended on TA

Day 1

Topkapi Palace and Harem – Entrance Fee
Hagia Sophia Museum – Entrance fee
Blue Mosque
Basilica Cistern – Entrance Fee

Day 2

Grand Bazaar
Suleymaniye Mosque
Galata Bridge – Fish Sandwiches as shown on Allegr’s Turkish Delight Cookery program
Galata Tower – Entrance Fee

Day 3
Dolmabahce Palace – Entrance Fee
Istikial Street
Bosphorus Cruise - Fee

The following gives closures of these sites plus others.

Mondays:
Hagia Sophia, Archaeological museum, Turkish & Islamic Arts museum, Dolmabahce palace, Beylerbeyi palace, Rumelihisari Fortress, Mosaics museum, Military museum, Naval museum, Santralistanbul, Rahmi Koc Industry museum, Sabanci Arts & Calligraphy museum, Yildiz Palace

Tuesdays:
Topkapi palace and its Harem, Military museum, Naval museum

Wednesdays:
Chora church, Sadberk Hanim museum

Thursdays:
Dolmabahce palace, Beylerbeyi palace, Yildiz Palace

Sundays:
Grand bazaar, Spice market. Also, these Bazaars are closed on religious holidays.

All mosques (including Blue Mosque) are closed during prayers. Check the following site for prayer times which change according to the sun. http://www.namazvakti.com/Main.php?WSLanguage=EN

Current 2012 Museum Fees

Archeology Museum - 10 Lira
Basilica Cistern (Underground Cistern) - 10 Lira
Beylerbeyi Palace - 20 Lira
Blue Mosque - Free of Charge
Chora Museum - 15 Lira
Dolmabahce Palace - 30 Lira
Hagia Sophia Museum (St.Sophia) - 25 Lira
Miniaturk Museum - 10 Lira
Mosaic Museum - 8 Lira
Panorama 1453 History Museum - 10 Lira
Topkapi Palace (Main Entrance) - 25 Lira
Topkapi Palace (Harem Section) - 15 Lira
Turkish and Islamic Arts Musuem - 10 Lira

You can buy a Museum Pass that will get you into some of the above(Marked in bold) for 72 lira and lasts 72 hours from first use and also give discounts at other places.

I will add more as I find it.
dksbbs

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Holiday Chit Chat