Horror flight delays story....not Turkey

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

Horror flight delays story....not Turkey

Postby Caltonian » 30 Aug 2012 20:55

My son went on holiday with my niece this morning to Santa Ponsa for a week. Flying from Glasgow with Thomsons at 6:30am.

They arrived at the airport at 4am and were informed of a 6hr delay. The plane needed a part for the door to seal properly, but it was coming up from Manchester on an 11:30 flight. They coulda drove it up quicker :evil:

Eventually they took off, then were told they were diverting to Manchester as the crew had worked over their hours and they needed a new CC. Couple of hours later and they took off from Manchester and were finally on their way to Majorca. They reach the airport and then have to divert to Ibiza as there is a major storm over Majorca :(

They finally got to their hotel at 10pm UK time, 12hrs later than they should have! Feel absolutely rotten for my niece, but at least my lad has 15 days in Icmeler with us to look forward to 6 days after he gets back :D
Caltonian

Advertisement

Re: Horror flight delays story....not Turkey

Postby stephent » 14 Mar 2013 08:14

Well it can happen in turkey
We went in September 2012 as usual.
Coming home with Monarch we were delayed 15 hours, due to something to do with the wheels.
They said they were waiting for a part to be flown over from the uk.
People not very happy, as you would expect especially the ones with kids.
As we had got our tickets to board and new nothing about the delay until the captain came to see us in departures 5 minutes after we were supposed to have gone.
We then had to go and retrieve our cases, well that is another story.
One good thing about it was we were put up in a 5 star hotel which was fantastic, but not everyone was so lucky.
Oh well back again this year, fingers crossed we have no delays. :D
stephent
New User
New User

Postby sunseeker2011 » 14 Mar 2013 10:45

My wife and I had a similar incident in 2007 when we went to Crete - everything booked & paid for with a nice early flight time of 7:30am. When we got to check-in desk we were told there was a 7 hour delay. They put us up in a nice hotel in Manchester with free lunch but would rather have been in Crete. This was with Monarch by the way.

Not the best start to our honeymoon but hey ho, we got there in the end :)
sunseeker2011

Postby bikerjambo » 15 Mar 2013 07:47

Many moons ago (89 I think) I was working in the then West Germany and was coming home for 2 nights, Cologne to Edinburgh via Heathrow.
There was a 30 minute delay due to French air traffic controllers but I still had time to catch the 11am shuttle from Heathrow-if it wasn't for the baggage handlers working to rule. No real problem, they just put me onto the midday flight instead. Once we boarded they told us there was a technical problem which needed fixed but we couldn't go back into the terminal as the departure lounge was filling up with people waiting for other flights (you could still smoke in departure at this time so this was a nuisance for us smokers). After a while they announced that the fault couldn't be sorted and they were trying to find another plane for us, took a while but they found us one then had to locate buses to transport us over the tarmac as well as moving our baggage. We were all seated and belted on the new plane when they tell us they have lost ALL the baggage! They found that eventually (it had been loaded onto the wrong plane) and we finally got off.
You'd think a smoke-bomb had gone off at the back there was so many people smoking and BA did allow us a free bar for our trouble. So instead of arriving in Edinburgh at midday as planned I eventually got there at 9.30pm, not my best day!

:(
bikerjambo

Postby dragon » 16 Mar 2013 14:13

Not sure whether the following article is good or bad news
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hours.html
It seems like good news but it'll probably be another reason to increase the cost of flights :(
dragon

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat