fishing rod

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

fishing rod

Postby haydn » 18 Jul 2012 17:00

hi all i have small telescopic rod about 18in when collapsed. i was wondering if i could take it in my hand luggage or would it have to go in the hold. also will i be catching any dangerous fish ie poisonous etc. are the fish i catch edible if big enough
haydn

Advertisement

Re: fishing rod

Postby kez&sue » 18 Jul 2012 17:35

hi you will be ok to put your rod in your hand luggage however there is a very good fishing shop opposite the buffalo bar the owner is really helpful and telescopic rods are only a few pounds dont worry about whether the fish you catch are edible you will have to catch several for a snack although i have seen a few big fish caught but always by a turk as for dangerous fish there is a couple that have poisonous tips which cause your hands to tingle and go numb but if your unsure just ask there will be plenty of locals and tourists that havemet these fish to let you know if you have caught one
kez&sue

Postby dksbbs » 18 Jul 2012 17:54

Check with the airline, Monarch class a fishing rod as a blunt force instrument and will not accept them.

See http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/ba ... ed%20items

The fish you need to be aware of is the scorpion fish (also know as the lion or stone fish)

here is a useful list of fish available

http://www.mymerhaba.com/Fish-of-Turkis ... -2594.html

Dave
dksbbs

Postby haydn » 18 Jul 2012 19:01

thanks for the info
haydn

Postby Caltonian » 18 Jul 2012 19:38

When we were in Icmeler in 2006, we came off a boat trip on the pier in Icmeler and watched a couple of guys spear-fishing with snorkels just off the pier. Pretty amazing to watch these guys at work and they had a very nice catch of good sized fish in their nets as we watched. They hit the mark about once every 3 throws it seemed :shock:

Does anyone know if these guys do this regularly or were we just lucky to see them? We never ventured down to the pier area before or afterwards.

A fishing trip for us is a must-do trip this time around.
Caltonian

Postby janeypoos » 19 Jul 2012 07:58

Haydn whatever you do do not eat the Balloon fish. We caught many in Icmeler last summer and again in Kizkalesi through autumn & spring so I presume they will be about this summer.
They are really poisonous to eat, the local boys wanted to buy ours from us but my Turk husband wouldn't let them because he knows how dangerous they are.
Here's a link to a photograph and news article (I've not read it, I just wanted the photo to show you), they come in all sizes from small to really big so just be careful.

http://turkeybeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... alarm.html

Other than that there are a few species that are poisonous to touch but you're most likely be ok.
Happy Angling and Happy Holidays! :D
janeypoos

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat