family injured in restaurant.

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

family injured in restaurant.

Postby shastie » 16 Jul 2012 20:53

Just heard an awful story on our local radio station about a family injured in a restaurant in Marmaris and found a report on the address below. Hope they all make a full recovery. I know it was an accident but please everyone be careful !!

travel.aol.co.uk/2012/07/13/Turkey-holiday-horror-family-set-on-fire-restaurant
shastie

Advertisement

Re: family injured in restaurant.

Postby Sami » 16 Jul 2012 20:57

its not showing as a link. But what a horrible story, was it a waiters stunt gone wrong?
Sami

Postby icmeler14 » 16 Jul 2012 21:08

icmeler14

Postby icmeler14 » 16 Jul 2012 21:18

This story was on the Marmaris TV site on Facebook a few weeks ago
icmeler14

Postby noodles1609 » 16 Jul 2012 21:20

This was in the Daily Mirror on Friday - all are recovering but are scarred. It was accidental according to the report, but it also stated they "forgot" to get any insurance so weren't covered for their treatment - it's an awful awful story, but if it serves as a reminder as to the importance of taking out proper holiday insurance then a little bit of good will have come of it.
noodles1609

Postby dksbbs » 16 Jul 2012 21:21

I wish them a speedy recovery.

I know this was an accident but I hope it serves as a lesson to others regarding holiday insurance, I just don't understand some people trying to save a few pounds.

Dave
dksbbs

Advertisement

Postby shastie » 16 Jul 2012 21:27

sorry - don't know how to put a link on but the address below takes you to the Mirror article

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/family-su ... ay-1141476
shastie

Postby icmeler14 » 16 Jul 2012 21:34

I have been going to Icmeler/Marmaris/Izmir for 17 years & have always had travel insurance & even when I spent 3 months there in 1999.I flew back on Friday 13th August 4 days before the big earthquake,so you never know what will happen out there!
icmeler14

Postby jsmith4519 » 17 Jul 2012 09:49

Naturally I hope the family make a full and speedy recovery sounds like a very harrowing incident, on the flip side I cannot understand the mentality of people who do not purchase travel insurance, I just spent £11 on a 2 week policy for the missis and I..... No excuse not to, if you don't buy insurance you take a gamble, this time the gamble didn't pay off.
jsmith4519

Postby Fanny » 17 Jul 2012 17:49

Couldn't agree more jsmith! Mind you, I also wonder about people who DO take out insurance, but don't tell all about any conditions/medical history
Chap in our local was bragging to all and sundry about how clever he'd been getting cheap hol ins despite recently having a major heart op - daft beggar didn't seem to "get" that if anything had happened while they were away, chances would be they wouldn't be covered
Takes all sorts i suppose?!
Fanny

Postby cockney boy » 15 Aug 2012 10:52

Its best to write down all medical conditions,my son and daughter suffers from asthma,i declared this never having trouble before and my son had to be taken into intensive care( early hours of the morning) for 3 days and the rest of the week in a hospital ward.I dread to think of how much this would of cost if a didnt have insurance.The only downfall was that the insurance didnt agree to pay till the day he was discharges,hence leaving me all week worrying how much if anything i would have to pay.
It didnt quite end there either,even at the airport i had to be taken to an office and speak to a medical guy to see if he was fit to fly,even though we had a fit to fly certificate.Apparantly there are a lot of bogus letters being handed in and the planes have to divert because the passenger has been taken ill again.
So message to all take out insurance and declare any pre existing illnesses,you never know whats going to happen. :wink:
cockney boy

Advertisement

Postby dragon » 15 Aug 2012 12:35

Apologies in advance for the length of this post as they are two subjects I'm passionate about insurance and safety.

Declaring of pre-existing illnesses is strict for travel insurance, as I found out this year that my travel insurance had been invalid for the last four or five years. I had been diagnosed with angina, but a year later was told I didn't have it, so I stopped declaring it. Apparently this voided my insurance as I needed to declare this illness even though I didn't have it. I was told though that the diagnosis of angina could have been right and when I was told I didn't have it, this could have been wrong. So there was still a risk.

I was also told that as my insurance would have been void it would have cancelled everyone else's insurance in the group as well. If one person fails to declare something, they void everyone's insurance. Luckily we didn't need to make a claim so now I declare absolutely everything, just in case. It would have been very annoying for me if it was voided as I pay more for my insurance (not the group) than I do for my flight.

Going back to the incidence of the fire, a few years ago we were in the Romance, sat at the front table on the very left as you go in. My granddaughter was a baby and was alongside us sleeping in her pram. A waiter went past us with some dish flaming away, held up high. Don't know quite what happened but something came from the dish, it may have been paper serviettes that were alight and landed in many places on the pram. The hood was up in the pram and we quickly brushed the flames away. He apologised a few times and everything was ok. It was only afterwards when we started thinking about what could have happened, that it really began to sink in. Never were we so thankful that my daughter had such a good pram which saved my granddaughter.

I really think that it's time to end the practice of having all these naked flames in the restaurants especially as you're in the open air and it only takes a gust of wind. Most of the time it's fine at your table (but in the case in Marmaris, why did the waiter have a flammable bottle with him?) but really, is there a need to parade around the restaurant with these meals. In our case the waiter paraded around the restaurant before taking the meal outside to a table on the pavement. We thought that we had taken every precaution by sitting at the front table and positioning the pram away from everything and that she would have been perfectly safe. We were very lucky, even more so that we now know that our insurance would have been void because I hadn't declared the angina, an illness that doctors had told me had been a mis-diagnosis.
dragon

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat