Icmeler for the disabled

For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.

Moderator: blondie

Icmeler for the disabled

Postby sabnab » 23 Dec 2011 13:48

We have been going to Turkey for approx 11 years & to Icmeler for the last 4. However due to MS I am now in a wheelchair. (I'm only 40)
My hubby was reluctant for us to go on hol this year as he thought we would really struggle. However, after messages flying backwards & forwards between myself & Yusuf, who is the Manager at the Oren Apts where we stay, I managed to talk hubby in to it.

Yusuf had guaranteed us a ground floor room, I contacted our transfer company and they arranged for us to have a bigger disabled taxi/minibus at no extra cost (wheelchair taxis cost double in England!!!)

We arrived at Manchester aiport where I felt we weren't treated or seated very well as we were seated 1/2 way up the plane away from the toilets???? We weren't allowed change seats :-)

However, from the moment we landed in Dalaman to the moment we got back on the plane I was treat like royalty :-) Everyone in Turkey literally couldn't do enough for me & If I couldn't get somewhere.......they brought somewhere to me :-) If I couldn't get in a shop they brought what I wanted outside, if a bar/restaurant had a step too high, then the staff lifted me in, they really were amazing.

They were also amazed by my electric wheelchair, I don't think they'd seen on before. Even the security guards at the airport were asking for a go haha.

I cannot fault anyone in Icmeler for the fantastic way I was treat AND I've been told they WILL find a way for me to go on a boat trip next year.

I LOVE ICMELER :-)
sabnab
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: Icmeler for the disabled

Postby reesy1959 » 23 Dec 2011 18:18

These are the sort of heart warming stories I love to hear about Icmeler.

Long may you continue to go to your little place of paradise and have fabulous holidays.

Made me chuckle to hear the staff at Dalaman wanted a go on your wheelchair :lol:
reesy1959

Postby Fanny » 24 Dec 2011 01:31

how great that you don't have to miss out on paradise! sounds like you made quite a stir at Dalaman haha - don't think I've ever seen any of them smile, so well done :wink:
bet you're lookin forward to the boat trip!
Fanny

Postby k.mccomas » 24 Dec 2011 08:51

last may whilst in marmeris we saw a wheelchair being lifted on to the water taxi to go to icmeler.so you should be able to go on boat trips .all the best.
k.mccomas

Postby dragon » 28 Dec 2011 22:40

I've taken my electric scooter with me for years and leave my electric wheelchair at home. The reason I take my scooter is because we go self catering and it's really easy to bring everything back from Tansaş and Dia especially the large water containers which go underneath the seat. Luckily I'm able to get out of my scooter/wheelchair and sit at the tables in the restaurants with a little help. Countless numbers of waiters have driven my scooter away to 'park' it in many different restaurants with a big smile. I even go to the beach and leave it in the shade during the day in one of the bars. The only problem I've had is that people are so helpful especially when I'm having difficulties on the steep ramps and I'm always afraid if they come too close that I'll run over their feet as these machines are so heavy and could cause injury.

A few years ago I was approached at Dalaman airport by a man interested in my scooter as he said that he would like to rent them out to tourists. I gave him all the details and asked him the name of the company and he said Marmaris Rentals which I'd never heard of at the time. A couple of years later out of curiosity I searched Marmaris rentals and there was a photo of my scooter available for rent :)

With regard to changing seats on the plane we've always asked a flight attendant when seats at the front were empty and have always been able to change seats but having to wait until after take off.

I also have a funny tale regarding Dalaman airport that I shall keep for now otherwise this post will be too long :)
dragon

Postby jivebunnie0 » 02 Jan 2012 18:32

Lovely to hear how helpful everyone has been with you dragon..... its a shame the same doesnt happen elsewhere. :( Hope you continue to enjoy your holidays.
jivebunnie0

Advertisement

Postby dragon » 02 Jan 2012 22:44

Thanks for that jivebunny. It's true that you don't get the help everywhere. Years ago at Palma airport, which I'd never go to again, I was tipped out of the airport wheelchair and told to lean on a wall until my wheelchair arrived off the plane. My objections were totally ignored and this was after he'd accepted the tip. :evil:

In Dalaman it doesn't matter how long you wait, they remain with you with a smile and a chat and there are two of us in wheelchairs in our group.
dragon

Postby sueles810 » 03 Jan 2012 12:58

Hi dragon,
how lovely to hear how kind the turkish people have been to you both in Dalaman and in Icmeler, just hilights what lovely people the vast majority of them are, would you please share your tale about Dalaman airport, am feeling a bit down today, could do with a laugh
regards
Sue
sueles810

Postby dragon » 03 Jan 2012 23:45

Hi Sue
When Dalaman's new terminal opened it had only been open for about five days when we were headed home. Unfortunately our flight was delayed for a few hours and we decided to go upstairs for coffee. We couldn't find a lift that we could use with my wheelchair. After wandering around for a while we asked a member of staff where the lift was. He didn't know so told us to follow him. He then asked someone else but he didn't know either so he came with us as well. They asked another member of staff who didn't know either who also joined the gang.In the end we had four staff members with us and the next person they asked said we could use the lift in an area that we couldn't access that was used to take supplies etc up to the food hall, as the lift for the disabled wasn't yet in use. By this time we'd also accumulated a couple of wheelchair users along the way and it looked as if we were on an organised outing :lol:

When sitting in the food hall a lady in a wheelchair came up to me and asked me how I got up there. I explained about the staff lift and that we only had to ask a staff member to accompany us back down. She was very relieved as she had come up the escalator which she said was rather scary as she had been sat in her chair with her husband holding the chair from behind. She told me that she was dreading going back down the escalator :lol: :lol:

I burst out laughing and so did she, probably from relief. I don't think that her travel insurance would cover going up or down an escalator even if she had been covered for 'dangerous sports.' :lol: :lol:
dragon

Postby sueles810 » 04 Jan 2012 08:37

Ha ha,
thanks for that, :lol: :lol: :lol:
it could only happen in Turkey :lol: :lol:
regards
Sue
sueles810

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Chit Chat