Just joined and first vist to Icmeler

To welcome newbies to ICR and help them settle into our big ICR family, to wish Happy Birthdays, congratulate people on post counts etc

Moderator: blondie

Just joined and first vist to Icmeler

Postby kypagan » 06 Jun 2010 19:31

Will be visiting Icmeler for one week in August staying at the Bonjour apartments. My son and I are thinking about renting a car for two days for a trip to Ephesus and Pamukkle(? spelling - apologize). I live in Florida where the land is flat and wonder about driving through the mountains. Should this be a concern? Would appreciate comments on driving to these areas and also the Bonjour apartments. We are so looking forward to visiting Icmeler, especially since reading the topics on icmeleronline. Thank you so much!!!! Carol
kypagan
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: Just joined and first vist to Icmeler

Postby Fanny » 06 Jun 2010 19:45

Hi Kypagan and am glad to be the first to welcome you to the forum - and Icmeler :wink: :)

Can't help with the Bonjour much other than to say that we've never stayed there, but the reviews from folk who have stayed there are excellent - check out the review or accom sections
They are in a great location right in the middle of town and very handy for the beach too

Re driving - have to say that I'm not brave enough to drive in Turkey at all! at least you'll be used to driving on the right I suppose haha
Let's just say that the Turks generally IMHO have shall we say an erratic approach to driving and I would think you'd have to take great care whereever you were driving - in the mountains or not
The roads have improved over the past few years and am sure plenty of folk will be able to advise better than I - and I'll be happy to let them suggest it's perhaps that I'm not a good driver hahaha

hope you enjoy your holiday and feel free to shout up with any questions
Fanny

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 06 Jun 2010 19:49

welcome to the forum :)
hope you have an amazing holiday
xxxxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby reesy1959 » 06 Jun 2010 19:53

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We hired a car a couple of years ago and went to visit our friends Family in Konya, which is about a 12 hour drive. We stopped off along the way at Pamukkale which took about 3-4 hours if I remember correctly. As for driving through the mountains, it was relatively smooth going, the roads were really good. I cant remember it being very mountanous (sp) on the way to Pamukkale, it was more so afterwards, but there was no problems. The roads were really good.

I wasn't brave enough to do much of the driving, so our friend did most of it, but it should be easier for you as you will be used to driving on the right side of the road, and I kept going to change gears with my left hand. :oops:

Bonjour reviews look really good.
reesy1959

Postby blondie » 06 Jun 2010 19:55

Just back from the Bonjour and I don't think you will be disappointed. It's the second time we have stayed there, and we love it. We've stayed B&B in the hotel, but the apartments are also lovely - very spacious and well equipped. The hotel itself is great - friendly and helpful staff and everything is spotlessly clean. The food in the restaurant is also excellent.
blondie

Postby stevew » 06 Jun 2010 20:10

Hi and welcome to the forum, We stayed at the Bonjour, but in the hotel part, the apartments are large 2 bedroomed, there is 1 one bedroomed apartment, if we were to stay there again this is the option we would choose. The staff and accomodation cannot be faulted, neither can the food in the resturant. the rooms were cleaned daily, the hotel pool has 3 depths and gets the sun most of the day, there is also a VERY Refreshing jaccuzzi. :wink: As for driving we have driven in Florida, with no problems but have never felt the need to drive in Turkey, If you are thinking of the Ephesus/Pamukkale, why not see Icr for the 2day trip, it may be cheaper than car hire.
Steve
stevew

Advertisement

Postby kypagan » 06 Jun 2010 21:56

Thanks to all of you for your replies. We are looking forward to our visit to Icmeler, espcially since reading your replies. The Bonjour sound lovely. I have not made up my mind re: renting an auto or doing the two day trip through ICR. Since my son will be driving, I will leave it up to him which way to go!! Thanks again for your quick responses. I know we will have a wonderful holiday.....................
kypagan
New User
New User

Postby dksbbs » 06 Jun 2010 23:28

We looked at renting a car last year to do the Ephesus and Pammakale trip but decided against it because of the following:-

Fuel is very expensive in Turkey

As the driver I would have done about 10 hours driving in two days amd would not have had opportunity to really take in the scenary during the journey.

I don't drink and drive but with the 0% blood alchol levels when driving with a passenger I would not even risk having a few beers in the evening when I had to drive the following day.

Driving on our own we would not have the benefit of guide at the sites, our guide was so informative the visits would not have been the same.

Adding up all the individual costs I believe that doing it ourselves would have been at least 50% more expensive.

Your are both on holiday, let someone else do the driving and relax.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby stevew » 07 Jun 2010 10:05

My thoughts exactly Dave. 8) 8)
Steve
stevew

Postby John V » 07 Jun 2010 12:08

Hi Dave,
You explained perfectly the feelings and views of myself....100%
John V

Postby kypagan » 07 Jun 2010 23:10

You are all very convincing and I am sure that is the way to go. I will look into booking with ICR when we arrive in Icmeler. We will be coming from Athens/Rhodes and with the stikes right now, hopefully, they will not interfere with our trip to Icmeler, and we will arrive on the date scheduled. My son would like to do some scuba diving..... should we look into that in Marmaris or in Icmeler? Also, my son is a chef and usually he will do only one night of cooking with local ingredients.....is there a place near the Bonjour where local groceries and spices can be bought? One last question, we will be arriving in Marmaris by ferry from Rhodes...... should we take the bus or ferry to Icmeler? So appreciate your answers................ Carol
kypagan
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby reesy1959 » 07 Jun 2010 23:19

kypagan wrote:You are all very convincing and I am sure that is the way to go. I will look into booking with ICR when we arrive in Icmeler. We will be coming from Athens/Rhodes and with the stikes right now, hopefully, they will not interfere with our trip to Icmeler, and we will arrive on the date scheduled. My son would like to do some scuba diving..... should we look into that in Marmaris or in Icmeler? Also, my son is a chef and usually he will do only one night of cooking with local ingredients.....is there a place near the Bonjour where local groceries and spices can be bought? One last question, we will be arriving in Marmaris by ferry from Rhodes...... should we take the bus or ferry to Icmeler? So appreciate your answers................ Carol

You might find the following link very useful for your Son regarding diving

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopi ... 46&start=0

Once you get to Marmaris, you can just get on a dolmus to get to Icmeler, its only a few miles away and this will cost you 2L each. You need to get on the Orange Dolmus, which is just like a mini-bus. If you have quite a bit of luggage though, it might be wise just to get into a taxi, but make sure you ask the price first.

There is a Supermarket in Icmeler, its called Tansas, you need to turn right out of the Bonjour to the end of the road, then turn right again, and just cross the road and you will see it. There is also a Wednesday Market, just up past this Supermarket, which has all local produce, fruit and veg, amongst other things.
reesy1959

Postby kypagan » 08 Jun 2010 13:03

Thank you so much for the advice on the groceries, bus and the link for scuba diving which I have forwarded to my son. We will be arriving by ferry from Rhodes to Marmaris. I was informed there is a tax to be paid (amount?) upon arriving in Marmaris and will we need to get a Visa to visit Turkey coming from Rhodes? ...... and please what are the charges upon returning to Rhodes by ferry? I have bought an open return ticket. The time is going fast, but of course not fast enough for our trip to Icmeler. Thank you again............. Carol
kypagan
New User
New User

Postby reesy1959 » 08 Jun 2010 18:55

Hi Carol, not too sure on how much is the Visa form US, but its £10 from the UK.

You are more than welcome for the link, just hope your Son wont be disappointed on the Scuba Diving (not that I have done it myself) but it does seem relatively quiet down there :D

The visa lasts in Turkey for 90 days, so you should only have to pay once. Just googled the following, and it looks like it will cost you $45 US, but I have just scanned over it. http://www.enjoyturkey.com/info/usefull ... ustoms.htm

I forgot to say on the last message, regarding the market on Wednesdays, your Son will be able to buy all the different spices he will require for his cooking night. I just wish I was there to come and sample the cooking :lol: but unfortunately we will be home in the UK by then.
reesy1959

Postby kypagan » 09 Jun 2010 13:15

Thanks reesy and everybody else who replied. I am sure my son will not be disappointed in scuba diving..... I talked with him this am and he is really excited to visit icmeler and so am I. I did go on the website for the visa..... thanks for that. We will be traveling light.... one suitcase each so the Dolmus will be our choice to get to Icmeler from Marmaris. This website is great.... what an abundance of information. Sorry you will not be in Icmeler when we are to taste my son's cooking of local food.... Kind regards, Carol
kypagan
New User
New User

Postby reesy1959 » 09 Jun 2010 18:18

Well I am sure you and your Son will have a fantastic time in Icmeler. The Turkish hospitality is wonderful, and you will leave with an abundance of new friends.

Have a great holiday.
reesy1959

Advertisement

Postby reesy1959 » 09 Jun 2010 18:19

Well I am sure you and your Son will have a fantastic time in Icmeler. The Turkish hospitality is wonderful, and you will leave with an abundance of new friends.

Have a great holiday.
reesy1959

Postby kypagan » 10 Jun 2010 13:18

Love this site..... Will certainly have a great Holiday in Turkey. I will write a report when I get back to the US on August 22nd or soon thereafter. Thanks again to all.... Carol
kypagan
New User
New User

Postby LynnJenny » 21 Jun 2010 13:33

hi and welcome you will love the bonjour apartments stayed their last year they are big apartments and have everything you could want a nice swimming pool have a great time :D
LynnJenny

Postby ochlynda » 23 Jun 2010 15:54

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a fab holiday

Lynda
ochlynda

• Advertisement

Return to ICR Welcome Area