Getting around Excess Luggage Charges

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Getting around Excess Luggage Charges

Postby okitsme » 30 May 2009 09:46

There seems to be a number of posts recently regarding the airlines clamping down (making money!) with the enforcement of luggage allowances. I'm sure it's pretty frustrating when all you want to do is get on your way home and they want you to queue up and spend even more of your cash for the privilege of taking home few kilos of dirty washing. :evil:
SO
What can we do about it, does anyone have any tips on how to cut down on luggage weight :?:

I’ll throw in some suggestions.

Empty Luggage weight –
Check out the weight of your luggage empty, you could be surprised how much it weighs. Some roller type suitcase weigh upto 7KG( that’s almost half of some single persons allowances even before putting anything in them.
Take lightweight soft holdall type bags, OK no fancy wheels so you may need to put some effort in here but it could save you some cash.

Toiletries-
Don’t bring home loads of shampoo, shower gel etc. leave it behind. What's the point of paying £8 per kilo (Thomas Cook) for something you could buy for a couple of quid.

Wear your heaviest clothing-
Obvious really, though it could make the difference, not sure you want to wear to many layers of clothing though, looking like the Michelin man in the Turkish heat may not be so much fun.

Hand Luggage

Make full use of your hand luggage allowance, buy any essentials from the shops after you’ve checked in.

Pack light-
Now come on ladies, do you really need all those clothes ?? take away a length of string and some pegs, there's no problem drying laundered clothes in the Turkish heat. OK I fully appreciate this washing option would be no good for us chaps :shock:

And Finally
NATURISM
Speaks for itself although personally I’m still carrying a little extra baggage here as well ! ( don't think they charge for this though YET :shock: :o )

Any other ideas ??
Cheers
Fruggle Rog :wink:
Last edited by okitsme on 30 May 2009 15:49, edited 2 times in total.
okitsme

Advertisement

Postby Eatock08 » 30 May 2009 13:27

Well my tips are:-

Instead of taking jeans i'm taking leggings which can be easily handwashed in the apartment and won't need ironing :lol:

I hate wearing shorts so i'm taking them little beach skirts to wear during the day, I think 4 will be enough for 2 weeks.

Buying beach towels from the canal when we arrive and buying toiletries at the airport and leave them in the apartment or with ICR for the orphanage. I also buy my books at the airport aswell.

And finally buying vest tops in Icmeler and donate to ICR orphanage.

Alison
Eatock08

Postby KarenH » 31 May 2009 07:48

last year we also left toileteries and any other bits with donna in the ICR office....

and we used a holdall instead of one suitcase, as it only weighs 2kg
KarenH

Postby andrea m » 31 May 2009 09:46

For the first time our luggage was under both ways - I think packing as if I was only going for 1 week instead of 2 with couple of extra tops to mix and match helped (still didn't wear it all!). Also made full use of hand luggage as have normally just taken case and that's when it's been over 20kg.

When taking shoes to match just bought cheap sandals from Primark which weigh almost nothing and when they broke left them there.

Andrea
andrea m

Postby Colette » 31 May 2009 10:05

I buy the heavy toiletries at the airport, ie shampoo , shower gel etc

bought a holdall on wheels last year as it only weighs 2 kg
Colette

Postby salford_steve » 31 May 2009 18:28

Give your toiletries to the maids. I made a bag up for them, and put toiletries in some medication that are very cheap over here but exoensive for them over there, also bit of food like butter etc. We were told to do this by the barman as he said the owners will take it for themselves so anything you want to give to the maids give it to them in person. So that saves on stuff takeing home and you know it's gone to someone who deserves it.

Get a small holdall for hand luggage put things like jeans in there and other heavier items in there rahter than your checked in luggage, as I have never had my hand luggage weighed in all the time i have been travelling, but I am not saying it doesnt happen.

Steve
salford_steve

Advertisement

Postby okitsme » 02 Jun 2009 15:04

Just picked up a bit of a bargain from Tescos, Bought Two Large (65 Litre) holdalls weighing in at just 1.3 KG each. Each one was reduced to the princley sum of just £2.93 each.
They look reasonable quality too.

Should help to keep our weight down.

Cheers
Frugle Rog :wink:
okitsme

Postby Sue » 03 Jun 2009 16:15

they do weigh the hand luggage now steve
Sue

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.