jelly fish

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

jelly fish

Postby daisysun » 14 Aug 2013 08:59

When we were on a boat trip last year someone on our boat got stung by a jelly fish while we were on one of the swim stops. It scared the life out of most of the people on the boat - except the turkish people?!? they didn't offer her any treatment or check her etc which left us all that little bit more worried and needless to say everyone came out of the water and we had no more swim stops.
Myself and my eldest son love swimming in the sea but seeing this has kind of put us off as we are scared the jelly fish could be dangerous?? which is a real shame as its nice to cool off in the sea.
Are the jelly fish in the sea around Turkey dangerous? Were the Turkish people on the boat not worried as they know they are not dangerous?
Also is there something (cream etc) that you can buy to treat jellyfish stings in England that we could take with us?
daisysun

Advertisement

Re: jelly fish

Postby daisysun » 14 Aug 2013 09:24

also meant to ask if they are more common in deep water or shallow water or both?
daisysun

Postby JT » 14 Aug 2013 10:00

Vinegar for the sting though you would smell like a chippy

Had more stings when I was a kid swimming in the Mersey and they are as big as tables in that area

Never seen one in Turkey
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby blondie » 14 Aug 2013 11:53

Are you not supposed to pee on a jellyfish sting, or is that an urban myth? :D
blondie

Postby ALAN » 14 Aug 2013 14:07

I think I would prefer to smell like a chippy :D
ALAN

Postby chrada » 14 Aug 2013 16:45

I've never seen any jellyfish in Turkey, hate them. I have been stung like JT in the Mersey and my mum, who worked in a hospital, treated it with vinegar. Vinegar is also good for wasp stings, also for cleaning round the house as it's a natural antiseptic. If you are scared of jellyfish, don't go to Llandudno!
chrada

Advertisement

Postby Jula » 14 Aug 2013 16:52

Yeah Blondie that's what your supposed to do seemingly lol..

I've never come across Jelly fish in Turkey although I remember a few years back going on a boat trip and we were advised to wear those swim shoes as there were sea urchins
Jula

Postby daisysun » 14 Aug 2013 17:48

Thanks for your replies. I have never seen any in Turkey either until this one last year, just scared us a bit. I think i will have to carry a bottle of vinegar around with us :lol:
daisysun

Postby steveyvonne » 14 Aug 2013 19:49

We did the ICR Lazy Day BBQ trip a couple of weeks ago & never had any issues with jellyfish at the five swim stops we made.
steveyvonne
New User
New User

Postby Kneale » 14 Aug 2013 23:18

I'd be more worried about getting stung by one in the UK.

To answer the question if you should pee on yourself, or god forbid someone else, if you're stung:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-23502032
Kneale

Postby daisysun » 15 Aug 2013 21:35

Kneale wrote:I'd be more worried about getting stung by one in the UK.

To answer the question if you should pee on yourself, or god forbid someone else, if you're stung:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-23502032

Thanks for that, a bottleof inegar it is then. I have also done a bit of research and found out that rinsing the sting in salt water eases the sting, not tap or bottled water as this also reactivates the sting.
daisysun

Advertisement

Postby KarenH » 17 Aug 2013 07:16

never seen jelly fish on the numerous boat trips we have done around icmeler, but a lady did get stung quite badly on a trip we did when in hisaronu
KarenH

Postby dksbbs » 18 Aug 2013 15:40

Didn't see any Jelly Fish on the boat trips but my friends son was stung while on Jesus Beach during the Jeep Safari two weeks ago, we went to the restaurant to get some vinegar but they immediately got a clove of garlic and told his parents to rub it on the welt that had come up, the sting pain disappeared almost immediately and the welt had vanished in under an hour.

I last saw jelly fish in the gulf of gokova when we went to Cleopatra's beach in 2008.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby daisysun » 19 Aug 2013 09:17

so does anyone know what type of jellyfish they are? are they dangerous or is the sting just painful?
When the lady got stung on the boat trip we were on last year, the people running the trip didn't do anything! i felt sorry for her and she was panicing obviously incase she was going to become ill or worse. We never did find out what happened to her as the boat went straight back to Icmeler after that where we got off
daisysun

Postby dksbbs » 19 Aug 2013 11:39

I believe from what I have read that they are not the dangerous type you find around Australia etc, obviously like any venom attack like a bee sting you need to keep an eye on the patient for 30 minutes just in case they have a sever reaction, the best protection believe it or not is sun cream and it prevents the Jeppy Fish venom reaching the skin.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby daisysun » 21 Aug 2013 07:22

dksbbs wrote:I believe from what I have read that they are not the dangerous type you find around Australia etc, obviously like any venom attack like a bee sting you need to keep an eye on the patient for 30 minutes just in case they have a sever reaction, the best protection believe it or not is sun cream and it prevents the Jeppy Fish venom reaching the skin.

Dave

Thank you. This is reassuring. do you think/does anyone know if piriton would help a little bit if you did have a reaction - just with it been an antihistomean??
daisysun

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.