PASSPORTS IN MAIDEN NAMES

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

PASSPORTS IN MAIDEN NAMES

Postby SUSANMKENNEDY » 02 Apr 2013 10:11

Hi

A friend of mine married in Turkey last year and hasn't updated her passport as it's quite a new one.

She says she has booked her holiday in her maiden name as no-one knows she married in Turkey in England but I have told her to check if she will get caught in Turkey using this passport as they may update their systems to reflect her new name at the airport.

Does anyone know if she will get away with this? I don't want her holiday being ruined before she enters the country.

Thanks.
SUSANMKENNEDY

Advertisement

Re: PASSPORTS IN MAIDEN NAMES

Postby sunseeker2011 » 02 Apr 2013 12:02

Hi Susan,

I think this can happen quite a lot (think of honeymoons). When my wife and I got married we went to Crete on our honeymoon and obviously we didn't have time to change the passports to her new name. We didn't have any problems but we took a copy of our marriage certificate just in case.

I don't know how long they give you to change your name but if I were her I would have updated it by now (a year is a bit long).

Without knowing all the details it's hard to say really, maybe she could talk to the consulate for advice?

Sorry if this isn't much help?
sunseeker2011

Postby JT » 02 Apr 2013 13:05

So if you fly out on your passport and then get married abroad how does that work
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Jay Trip » 02 Apr 2013 14:36

My daughter got married abroad several years ago and had no problem when arriving back to the UK.
She still uses her maiden name so renews her passport and books holidays in the that name.
As long as the name on the ticket matches the passport details its fine.
Jay Trip

Postby dksbbs » 02 Apr 2013 14:47

It is not a legal requirement to take your husbands name when married, in fact he could take the ladies name.

You can leave your passport in your maiden name for as long as you want and repeat it at every renewal. As long as you book your holiday in the correct name you won't have a problem.
dksbbs

Postby janeypoos » 03 Apr 2013 06:31

When I married in Turkey I never took my husband's surname as you are not obliged to.
I have never had a problem entering/exiting the country nor did we ever experience any difficulties with officialdom over there because of the different names.
As long as the name on the booking matches the name on the passport then your friend will be ok. :)
janeypoos

Advertisement

Postby SUSANMKENNEDY » 03 Apr 2013 09:40

Thanks for your replies, I will let her know.
SUSANMKENNEDY

Postby redmanc78 » 18 Apr 2013 17:46

Don't worry you will be fine as long as the booking is also in the maiden name.
My wife does this every year to save having to renew her passport and we have been fine.
We also travel with our kids who have my name on their passports and never been asked
redmanc78

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.