Going alone

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Going alone

Postby tpott » 02 Sep 2011 06:11

Hi
This will be my fourth trip to Icmeler on the 3rd of October, but it will be my very first holiday completely alone. My kids have grown up and left the nest and unfortunately due to work commitments my friends are unable to join me on holiday. So I am off to Icmeler as a billy no mates! :lol:
I am really really excited about my holiday, but I am also getting a little nervous about going to Turkey as a lone woman. I have always felt safe and secure in Icmeler on previous trips when travelling with friends and family, but I am concerned about being hasselled as a lone female. I am probably worrying over nothing, but doughts are starting to settle in.
Any helpful hints and tips from you lovely people to put my mind at rest?
Tracey
tpott

Advertisement

Re: Going alone

Postby JT » 02 Sep 2011 09:21

Tracey

From my experiences living in Turkey for many years, the only women that seem to be constantly hassled by men are the ones that go over there for that type of attention.

Don't worry you will be safe
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Chocoholic » 02 Sep 2011 10:54

Hi Tracey, I have been on my own about 6 times and always feel safe. In fact there is no hassle from some of the guys there unlike if I was with any of my friends. There is much more respect when you are on your own. I sometimes prefer it on my own on holiday as you can do and go exactly where you want and when and not have to consider others. Don't worry, you will be fine and safe. You will not be Billy no mates either as its impossible to feel lonely in Icmeler with the lovely Brit tourists and Turkish workers there. You will get attention but the right and respectable sort.
Chocoholic

Postby tpott » 02 Sep 2011 19:44

Hi JT and Chocholic

Thank you both so much for putting my mind at rest.
I am sure I will have a lovely time. I will just go with the flow and look forward to having a nice restful week away from work.
Many Thanks

Tracey :)
tpott

Postby reesy1959 » 02 Sep 2011 19:54

Hi Tracey, we will still be there on that week, and I am trying to arrange a boat trip or the gypsy beach trip, if you would like to join us then you are more than welcome.

No doubt there will be a meeting at the Sizzler one night, which if nobody else posts, I will do so nearer the time. Its always nice to come to the ICR meet ups and put faces to names.

I am sure you will have a super holiday.
reesy1959

Postby tpott » 03 Sep 2011 05:27

reesy1959 wrote:Hi Tracey, we will still be there on that week, and I am trying to arrange a boat trip or the gypsy beach trip, if you would like to join us then you are more than welcome.

No doubt there will be a meeting at the Sizzler one night, which if nobody else posts, I will do so nearer the time. Its always nice to come to the ICR meet ups and put faces to names.

I am sure you will have a super holiday.

Hi Reesy1959
Thankyou. I have put my name down for Gypsy beach on your thread. I am not sure about the boat trip because I am not a very confident swimmer and feel a bit nervous around deep water :oops:
I will keep my eye out on the forum for a Sizzler meet up, I am staying just around the corner from The Tandoori Sizzler at The Vela and would love to meet some of the ICR forum members.

tpott

Advertisement

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 03 Sep 2011 08:54

hiya tracey
i have been alone several times as my boyfriend was turkish and was working most of the time
just dont attract that kind of attention and you will be completely fine
also there will be a lot of other forum members there to keep you company im sure
have an amazing holiday and dont worry :)
hope this helps
xxxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby reesy1959 » 03 Sep 2011 11:49

Looking forward to meeting you Tracey.

I am not a confident swimmer either, but I love the boat trips, I am usually the only oldie going in the sea with the life jacket on :lol:
reesy1959

Postby Fanny » 03 Sep 2011 16:23

Hi Tracey - I don't like water and panic if I can't touch the bottom :oops:
Most boats have the sausage/noodle float things that you can use, or if you daren't risk there not being any, you can buy them for next to nothing
They're fantastic, and give me enough confidence to get into the water at EVERY swim stop - and they're a bit more cool than wearing a life jacket, so go for it hahha
Fanny

Postby reesy1959 » 03 Sep 2011 18:09

Fanny wrote:Hi Tracey - I don't like water and panic if I can't touch the bottom :oops:
Most boats have the sausage/noodle float things that you can use, or if you daren't risk there not being any, you can buy them for next to nothing
They're fantastic, and give me enough confidence to get into the water at EVERY swim stop - and they're a bit more cool than wearing a life jacket, so go for it hahha

Fanny, I am quite partial to my big orange jacket :lol: :lol:
reesy1959

Postby tpott » 04 Sep 2011 17:38

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. It is very much appreciated. :)

Tracey
tpott

Advertisement

Postby Fanny » 05 Sep 2011 20:53

Fanny, I am quite partial to my big orange jacket :lol: :lol:[/quote]
:D :D don't worry Mary, it's all yours - won't be pinching it from you lol
Fanny

Postby Vikki » 06 Sep 2011 09:39

Hi Tracey you will never be alone in Icmeler too many nice people around ,you should stick a post up on the boards RE; sizzler meet the dates that you will be there im sure that any members out there at the time would welcome the meet ... :D
Vikki

Postby Sami » 21 Mar 2012 16:21

Hi TPott, so, how did you find it, going alone?

I have been already, last May but am trying it again this July and September. When I went in May, I did get a little bit of unwanted attention but that was in the apartments I was staying at. The person got fired. I did find that as the weather was a little cooler and wet some days, there was not so much to do but I did manage a boat trip which was brilliant.

Let me know how you got on.
Sami

Postby tpott » 21 Mar 2012 19:03

Hi Sami
I had an absolutely brilliant time. I did get some unwanted attention, but I made it clear I wasn't interested and after a while I was left alone. I absolutely love Icmeler and have made several friends there, in fact I love it so much that I have decided to take a year off work and do some travelling! I am going back to Icmeler on the 4th May. I am staying at my fave hotel The Vela for two weeks with my Mum and daughter, then they are off home and I am staying in Icmeler on my own for two or three months! I am very excited! I have not booked anywhere to stay yet for my remaining two/ three months. JT and Sharon have been lovely and given me lots of good quotes for some very nice apartments, but I can't make my mind up where to stay. I think it's because deep down I think I would rather stay in non holiday apartments so it feels more homely, but I have not found anywhere yet.Private apartments seem very few and far between. So I will have to make my mind up soon and either go with JT and Sharons suggestions or end up sleeping on the beach! LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you fancy meeting up for a drink and a gossip when your over in Icmeler let me know!

tpott

Postby noodles1609 » 22 Mar 2012 17:41

Hiya Tracey

I've just posted in the other forum that I'll now be out on my own 25th May to 8th June. Do you know if there are any meet ups planned at all?

Nicola x
noodles1609

Advertisement

Postby tpott » 22 Mar 2012 18:25

Hi Nicola

I have not seen any meet ups yet, but then again I've not really looked yet :)
If you want to meet up with me while you are in Icmeler for a drink/gossip/something to eat just let me know :)

Tracey x
tpott

Postby dksbbs » 23 Mar 2012 00:17

tpott wrote: I am going back to Icmeler on the 4th May. I am staying at my fave hotel The Vela for two weeks with my Mum and daughter, then they are off home and I am staying in Icmeler on my own for two or three months! I am very excited! I have not booked anywhere to stay yet for my remaining two/ three months.)

When you book don't forget the new visa rules, maximum stay 90 days in 180.

I hope you have a great time there.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby tpott » 23 Mar 2012 06:25

dksbbs wrote:
tpott wrote: I am going back to Icmeler on the 4th May. I am staying at my fave hotel The Vela for two weeks with my Mum and daughter, then they are off home and I am staying in Icmeler on my own for two or three months! I am very excited! I have not booked anywhere to stay yet for my remaining two/ three months.)

When you book don't forget the new visa rules, maximum stay 90 days in 180.

I hope you have a great time there.

Dave

Hi Dave
Thanks, I am really looking forward to my little adventure!
The visa rules have changed again. You can now enter Turkey on the 90 day tourist visa and now for a fee extend it to 9 months at the port police. Here is a link about it.

http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo ... ant-update

So looks like good news for us brits who want to stay in Turkey a little bit longer :)

Tracey
tpott

Postby noodles1609 » 23 Mar 2012 09:14

Hi Tracey

Would be lovely to meet up, I've had a look and can't find anything already organised so I've started a thread!

See you May :D

Nicola x
noodles1609

• Advertisement

Next

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.