Gatwick Check-In - How Early?

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Gatwick Check-In - How Early?

Postby DarrenG » 07 Aug 2011 08:58

For the first time we have booked hotels, flights etc separately and it's far from clear how early we can check-in.

The booking confirmation says 9.20pm check-in which seems quite late for an 11.20pm flight. Monarch's website says contradicts itself saying 2hrs in one place, 3hrs in another and in one place says check-in desks at Gatwick are open all day which seems unlikely from past experience.

As we have access to a lounge, and that shuts at 10pm, I'd like to get there in enough time to check-in, and have an hour relaxing in the lounge before we're kicked out. Does anyone know what time we can expect the check-in desk for our flight to be open?
DarrenG

Advertisement

Re: Gatwick Check-In - How Early?

Postby Chocoholic » 07 Aug 2011 09:49

I have found in all the airports I have flown from in the UK (several) the baggage checking in doesn't open until 2 hours before the flight. I used to get to the airport really early but not any more. 2 hours before for me unless you want to be stuck at the front of the unmanned check-in desk for ages - that is presuming they display your flight number on it prior to it opening as in most cases they dont.
Make the most of the lounge though. Have a great time.
Last edited by Chocoholic on 07 Aug 2011 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Chocoholic

Postby DarrenG » 07 Aug 2011 09:53

Thanks. It looks like the 9.20pm check-in is when then desk opens so little point getting there any earlier.

The mad scramble to get rid of your bags at check-in is the one bit of the whole process that I hate.
DarrenG

Postby cassielucy » 07 Aug 2011 09:58

we fly with Monarch regularly and ususally find 2 hours before flight time is about the norm fo checkin
cassielucy

Postby Chocoholic » 07 Aug 2011 11:40

DarrenG wrote:Thanks. It looks like the 9.20pm check-in is when then desk opens so little point getting there any earlier.

The mad scramble to get rid of your bags at check-in is the one bit of the whole process that I hate.

Same here- I hate the mad scramble. Last year someone nearly knocked over my elderly mother in a rush to get to the check in. Needless to say I went mad! This check in business brings out the wild in some people. Pity you cant prebook your seat without paying.
Chocoholic

Postby DarrenG » 07 Aug 2011 11:49

I don't understand why they can't open earlier, reduce the queuing and allow people a little time to relax airside once rid of bags. My parents fly from Manchester and there they have the Twilight check-in where they can get rid of the bags the day before. So much less stress.
DarrenG

Advertisement

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 08 Aug 2011 16:31

we normally fly with TC and they normally open 2 1/2 - 3 hours before the flight takes off
xxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby DarrenG » 08 Aug 2011 16:38

We've booked the pickup so that we get there about 8.15pm. If the check-in is open, great, if not we'll go grab a coffee. All desperate to get going now, a few more hours to wait.
DarrenG

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.