Taking Bacon.

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Taking Bacon.

Postby adewolves » 02 Aug 2011 18:30

Been asked to take bacon from the people where we are staying. I will be taking 12 packs frozen. Just wanted to know what the best way to pack them up, ie cooler bags etc, and what part of the suitcase to put them in, between clothes, in the zip pocket etc. Not worried about the weight as we are always well under going out. Thanks in advance for your replies.9 days to go :D
adewolves

Advertisement

Re: Taking Bacon.

Postby eddie » 02 Aug 2011 18:54

hi i always take a kilo of unfrozen bacon wrapped in bin liner then wrapped in towels ,had no problems with it and it lasts a 21 day holiday no problem ,goes down great with those lovely tomatoes and fresh bread .cant wait 45 days .
eddie

Postby ayse » 02 Aug 2011 18:59

Hi
I agree with Eddie better to take unfrozen as bacon tends to have quite a long shelf life anyway, that way whoever you are taking it to can freeze it themselves if necessary. I would put it in sandwich bags in the zip part to save any mishaps. Have a great holiday.
ayse

Postby JT » 02 Aug 2011 19:15

Hmm I hope you are going to also take bacon for yourself to cook in the apartment or you will be buying back your own bacon
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby adewolves » 02 Aug 2011 19:23

JT wrote:Hmm I hope you are going to also take bacon for yourself to cook in the apartment or you will be buying back your own bacon

They're going to pay for it JT, but I understand what you mean. I'm more of a sausage and egg man anyway, and can't be bothered to cook on holiday. Having said that there is 12 packs I might just keep 2 back for me and the missus who is partial.Thanks for the replies, I will take it unfrozen now.
adewolves

Postby south coast hero » 02 Aug 2011 20:41

Adewolves we used to take bacon to erchan at the alvaro.We found that in some places you can get the bacon sort of vac-packed which (most of the bacon takers) thought was the best way to maintain freshness.
Out of the fridge in a towel and in suitcase.
south coast hero

Advertisement

Postby dragon » 05 Aug 2011 16:00

An english breakfast at the Florida is excellent and is only 3 Lira this year, I think it was 5 Lira last year. Especially with the excellent exchange rate, I would give taking bacon with you a miss this year. :D
dragon

Postby turismojoe » 07 Aug 2011 15:47

Hi, we take bacon and sausage every time we visit Turkey. We simply buy it the morning (taking it from the back of the supermarket fridge for longer use by dates!) that we are due to leave and place the packs in sandwich bags in the middle of the suitcases. It's then taken out and put in the fridge (or freezer) as soon as we get to the apartment. Lovely with fresh crusty bread from the bakery!
turismojoe
New User
New User

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.