Charges for using WhatsApp??

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Charges for using WhatsApp??

Postby x-raki-girl-x » 01 Aug 2011 12:00

Hi everyone

If i turn My 3G off and my Data Roaming off.... will i get charged for recieving a whatsapp message? even if i dont open it untill i am in a wifi zone?

Thanks

Meera
x-raki-girl-x

Advertisement

Re: Charges for using WhatsApp??

Postby dksbbs » 01 Aug 2011 12:04

I don't know what whatsapp is but you should not receive a charge from your mobile provider if you are only collecting data via wifi, if whatsapp make charges you will still recieve these.

Make sure you switch off all data correctly and that there is nothing on your phone that reactivates it like switching the phone off and on.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby dodge » 01 Aug 2011 12:10

How do I turn my voicemail off ? :oops: not long now Dave :lol:

cheers dodge 8)
dodge

Postby x-raki-girl-x » 01 Aug 2011 12:13

dodge wrote:How do I turn my voicemail off ? :oops: not long now Dave :lol:

cheers dodge 8)

Dail voicemail and there is an option to turn it off
x-raki-girl-x

Postby stevew » 01 Aug 2011 12:15

Hi Meera
Taken from the Whats app site..........................
When I travel abroad / overseas, will I be charged for data roaming?
WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for web and email. If you would normally get cellular data roaming charges when traveling abroad / overseas for email and web usage, WhatsApp would be no different. Of course WhatsApp would be free to use over a Wi-Fi connection. To confirm that your data roaming is disabled, go into iPhone Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming and make sure it is set to Off:

And don't forget to set your WhatsApp status to "I am currently roaming abroad, will reply when I am on Wi-Fi" -- this way your friends will know why you are not answering right away :)
Steve
stevew

Postby x-raki-girl-x » 01 Aug 2011 12:18

stevew wrote:Hi Meera
Taken from the Whats app site..........................
When I travel abroad / overseas, will I be charged for data roaming?
WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for web and email. If you would normally get cellular data roaming charges when traveling abroad / overseas for email and web usage, WhatsApp would be no different. Of course WhatsApp would be free to use over a Wi-Fi connection. To confirm that your data roaming is disabled, go into iPhone Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming and make sure it is set to Off:

And don't forget to set your WhatsApp status to "I am currently roaming abroad, will reply when I am on Wi-Fi" -- this way your friends will know why you are not answering right away :)
Steve

Thank you...

11 sleeps in manchester then off to paradise!! cant wait!! :D
x-raki-girl-x

Advertisement

Postby x-raki-girl-x » 01 Aug 2011 12:40

For anyone else planning on using whatsapp ... i have just read that you need to turn your cellular data off aswell as data roaming and 3g so there is absolutly no charges.
x-raki-girl-x

Postby DarrenG » 01 Aug 2011 13:18

If you turn data roaming off then that would have the effect of turning cellular data off when not on your home network.

There shouldn't be any need to switch cellular data off as well but it can't hurt and it's better to be safe than sorry I guess!
DarrenG

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.