What suntan lotion do you use & why?

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

What suntan lotion do you use & why?

Postby Chris221273 » 11 Jul 2011 19:36

I keep seeing all these different suntan lotions and sprays/gels etc and was wondering what everyone uses.
I would love to get a really nice, deep tan and have seen all these tanning gels that are supposed to give you a deep tan.
Any recommendations from you lovely people who are regulars in Icmeler would be much appreciated.

Chris
Chris221273

Advertisement

Re: What suntan lotion do you use & why?

Postby mickyq » 11 Jul 2011 19:45

you can only go as brown as your skin allows. something to do with the amount of melanin in your skin.
check this link
http://www.mastertanning.com/tips/25/tanning-process/
mickyq

Postby yorkshirerobin » 11 Jul 2011 19:48

We always use P20 and have done for a few years i have very fair skin and this does the job and only needs applying once a day, on a boat trip we also take a factor 30 as a precaution with being in and out of the sea. Also we always start our hols with a turkish bath on our 1st day, before we started with the turkish baths a few years ago i always got sunburnt now never get burnt have a great time another 6 weeks to wait for us :mrgreen:
yorkshirerobin

Postby mickyq » 11 Jul 2011 19:55

yorkshirerobin wrote:We always use P20 and have done for a few years i have very fair skin and this does the job and only needs applying once a day, on a boat trip we also take a factor 30 as a precaution with being in and out of the sea. Also we always start our hols with a turkish bath on our 1st day, before we started with the turkish baths a few years ago i always got sunburnt now never get burnt have a great time another 6 weeks to wait for us :mrgreen:

heard people say the get turkish bath on 1st day. does this actually work?
mickyq

Postby yorkshirerobin » 11 Jul 2011 20:57

Yes it does Micky our first few visits i was a bit unsure as i have a back problem but took the plunge about 5 years ago, so glad we did. As i said i have very fair and also sensitive skin so always just went red, now even i get a lovely tan so yes turkish baths definately work and the massage does wonders for my back :!: :D
yorkshirerobin

Postby Fanny » 11 Jul 2011 21:44

Hi Chris, I use Simple sun cream - firstly because I've a sun allergy and secondly because it lasts so well, also Boots usually have it on BOGOFF which is a bonus 8)
Best way of getting a tan is to start with a high factor and then reduce it as your skin gets used to the sun. We also do plenty of boat trips - much easier to bear the heat of August than lying round the pool or on the beach...........
Fanny

Advertisement

Postby skilly » 11 Jul 2011 21:49

I normally use Avon but I was reading a magazine the other day and they tested all the different brands including the very expensive ones and the one that came out on top was Asda's own.
It said it was the only one that lived up to the SP factor it was advertising, so I got some last week and it was only £3.99, see how good it is in Sept :)
skilly

Postby Fanny » 11 Jul 2011 21:51

Skilly's just reminded me of a survey done last year or maybe the year before where they found that cheaper lotions had a higher factor than their expensive counterparts which had a lower factor than it said on their label ?!
Fanny

Postby sunlover loch lomond » 11 Jul 2011 22:30

The Turkish Bath on the first day is a must for a good tan and most relaxing after a plane journey. I use Piz Buin Tan Intensifier factor 15 and get a great tan and I have fair skin. Although Piz Buin can be expensive I usually manage to get it half price or less. My sister used Avon suncream this year and had terrible prickly heat. She used the Asda one last year and had no problems so she will be going back to it for our next holiday.
sunlover loch lomond

Postby dodge » 11 Jul 2011 22:43

We use Piz Buin once a day you only have to apply once a day and only £4.99 at Home Bargains or B&M

cheers dodge :lol: :lol: 8)
dodge

Postby Russmac » 22 Jul 2011 10:32

Hi when looking for suntan lotion etc always check the uv ratings you ideally want 5 star ultra regardless of what factor. We use boots own called Kids Soltan Once for our little one and he has never ever burnt also asda has very good reviews as well
Russmac

Advertisement

Postby Annemc » 22 Jul 2011 13:58

I find the asda one (Factor 15) very good. My OH used Boots Soltan Once Factor 15. He usually burns but had no problem and sat in the sun longer this year as well.
Annemc

Postby Vikki » 23 Jul 2011 11:09

I use Nivea spray lotion factor 15 it works well for us light and non greasy .Im off to asda soon so i will pick up a bottle of their own make seeing as it has such good reviews i do remember a while back now that it came out tops on a survey,hope i can pluck up the courage to have turkish bath this year :lol:
Vikki

Postby Sami » 21 Mar 2012 16:37

I like to use Nivea sun spray but I find its quite pricey unless on offer. I have been using Malibu for a few trips and that gives a good tan. I also used last year in Cuba, a dry oil mist by Malibu and it was brilliant. Not very high factor but tan was brilliant. I'm getting some at the end of this week as Superdrug have all their makes for half price. The Malibu stuff is down to about £4.00 a pop. Nice one!
Sami

Postby Roy » 21 Mar 2012 20:04

Controversial maybe, but in the past we have gone to a tanning salon for a few sessions before coming on holiday to acheive base tan & this has worked really well & have always avoided getting burnt of having that horrible 'lobster effect' after first day(s) in the sun, especially during the hotter months. Also you avoid being recognised as a new arrival. Still use Puis Bin All day factor 15 though & never had a problem even with being fair skinned.
Roy

Postby Fanny » 25 Mar 2012 18:39

maybe controversial Roy, but have to say I agree - can't see much difference from baking on a sunbed to get your skin used to rays rather than testing it out on high summer in Turkey
I find that a few sunbed sessions in moderation prevents me from burning when in the real stuff
Fanny

Advertisement

Postby LynnJenny » 28 Mar 2012 17:50

i agree i allways go on the sunbeds before our holiday does help dont want to get their white
LynnJenny

Postby Southampton_Girl » 04 Apr 2012 11:21

Hawaian Tropic because it smells like Holiday :-)
Southampton_Girl

Postby Allison » 05 Apr 2012 10:49

I use ProSport as get Prickly Heat, works really well but still allows my skin to breath so no more annoying Prickly Heat just a lovely tan x
Allison
New User
New User

Postby carol0912 » 05 Apr 2012 17:07

Hawaiian tropic for me too. Buy the carrot oil one and had a good tan last year. Smells divine too. Also use palmers cocoa butter as after sun.
carol0912

• Advertisement

Next

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.