Avoiding a bad stomach

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Re: Avoiding a bad stomach

Postby JT » 25 Apr 2011 12:11

Moving to tips section

Hmm maybe it is something in your metabolism as it has never happened to me as it does to you.

Ok now and then wherever you are in the world you may get a bit "loose" :oops: but not from just arriving in a country

I visit Egypt quite a bit in winter and though people drop like flies around me it has never bothered me as I always have a bottle of hand antiseptic gel with me and use it like Howard Hughes would.

Maybe it happens to other people and they may help
JT
Admin
Admin

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 25 Apr 2011 12:15

I have to say that none of my family has ever had a problem with a dodgy stomach while in Turkey. Obviously we take all the usual hygiene precautions as norfolksantoman has mentioned, but I can honestly say that we've never had any problems whatsoever - certainly not when compared to the likes of Spain, etc. Indeed, I can't really say we've ever met anyone who has a problem with a dodgy tummy or the likes in Icmeler - it's not been something which people have ever mentioned to us. Maybe you've just been unlucky?

Just a thought - someone did suggest to me that it is a good idea to take probiotics (such as the yogurts/drinks, etc) for a couple of weeks before you go on holiday anywhere, as these help your digestive system cope better. Might be worth a try?
Last edited by blondie on 25 Apr 2011 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
blondie

Postby lespaul » 25 Apr 2011 12:20

Phil

Believe it or not, you're probably doing yourself more harm than good by taking Immodium. I can empathise with you to a degree regarding the trots, but, immodium only suppresses the symptoms and provides temporary relief, it is not a 'cure' per-se for whatever it is that's wrong with you and your good lady.

The 'cause' is more than likely the change your body experiences as a result of going from a relatively benign climate to the heat of a Turkish summer. Most people attribute a dose of the runs as synonymous with being in a foreign land, but, the cause is more to do with weather (in and out of heat/shade/air-conditioned apartments) than it is with food etc.

The best advice (from my doctor) is try to ride-out the symptoms in the same way you would a cold, the advice I received was "take suppressants, the symptoms will last a couple of weeks, avoid them and it'll last 3 - 4 days"!! It's worth noting that you can over-hydrate as well and this can play havoc with your metabolism!!! :(

regards
lespaul

Postby Chocoholic » 25 Apr 2011 12:39

My friends, family or I have never had any problems at all and we eat salads etc there and take no extra precautions that we dont do at home apart from drink bottled water as we are not so keen on the tap water there even if boiled for tea (we have tried it!)
I do have a friend who travels to different places abroad and ALWAYS has problems such as you are getting and after consulting the Doctor both here and abroad was told that the medication such as Imodium can usually aggravate the problem, she goes to her Doctor prior to her trips abroad and he now prescribes medication for when she gets there and starts with her gippy tummy and is right as rain within a day.
Chocoholic

Postby Susi1962 » 25 Apr 2011 15:39

I rarely have this problem in Turkey but do all the time in Spain or Tunisia. I try to eat local food and avoid fry ups for breakfast - two pre-emptive hard boiled eggs are probably what helps!!
Susi1962

Postby dragon » 25 Apr 2011 16:20

Hi Phil

This usually happens to me as well within three days of arriving on holiday.

I don't know if I've just been lucky but its never happened in Icmeler, the only place I've ever visited without having the problem and I don't avoid eating anything including salads. Do you stay in a hotel or go self catering? If you have a 'sensitive' stomach it's better for you to eat in a restaurant where the food is freshly cooked for you. Food in a hotel may not be piping hot and the risk of having a dodgy stomach is higher, especially if your system is prone to upsets.

I always take dioralyte with me just in case (prescribed by my GP but you can buy over the counter). You can become severely dehydrated and it is an oral electrolyte powder which makes you feel better in minutes. Just drinking water doesn't put back the salts etc that your body has just lost. I wouldn't go on holiday anywhere without them. Even though I've been to Icmeler many times without any problem I still take them with me just in case (the citrus flavour is ok but the original tastes disgusting).

As was said in another post all the Immodium does is mask the problem.
dragon

Advertisement

Postby oscarnorwich » 27 Apr 2011 08:47

My tummy is prone to upsets ,nearly everywhere I go I have a day or two the same as norfolksantoman.Last year I put it down to drinking too much icy cold water.I very rarely drink plain water at home.We took 2 big bottles of water to the beach every time we went and I drunk a lot of it,think it shocked my system.I was told aircon can sometimes cause it but doubt that was the cause as it was useless in our hotel.Hubby never gets ill but never eats fruit or salads,maybe they are the cause.
Where in Norfolk do you come from ,we live in Norwich,handy for the airport,its about 10 mins from our house.
oscarnorwich

Postby oscarnorwich » 27 Apr 2011 19:51

We are lucky really because my husband works for KLM so we leave our car on the staff car park,thus doing away with parking charges.It probably wouldn't cost much to get a taxi though.I booked early and got a terrific price for Marmaris Park,just under £1500 for the 2 of us in early September,well pleased with that,we paid nearly that much each for Cyprus 2 years ago.
oscarnorwich

Postby Jay Trip » 29 Apr 2011 16:33

When I go to Egypt I take Probotic Acidophylus which I buy from Holland and Barrett.
They were on half price offer recently.
They are similar to Actimel but much stronger and kill off any bad bacteria.
They are available in strawberry flavour and chewable tablets.
They are taken with meals and although you can take up to 3 a day I only take one.
Prevention is better than cure! :lol:
Jay Trip

Postby lostsoul » 30 Apr 2011 16:39

HI Phil,
agree with lespaul and dragon.
Watch out for things like that bottle of mayonnaise which has not been kept in the fridge that they put on your table.
It could be just intolerance to a food item that you eat in greater quantity when in Icmeler than at home, with me its eggs there in loads of things which I now have to avoid can be in burgers, meatballs, sauces, ice cream, mayonnaise etc..
Dioralyte is good but they taste vial regardless of flavour, and if you don’t have any my doctor told me to use normal flat lemonade (not diet).
Hope this helps
lostsoul

Postby dragon » 01 May 2011 11:20

The dioralyte, if you can bear the taste though works very quickly and you feel better in minutes but if you can't stand the taste perhaps it will make you feel nauseous as you drink it. :( What works for me is to knock it back in one and have a sweet or chewing gum in my mouth straight after which gets rid of the taste. The dioralyte works well for hangovers too as you are dehydrated. As well as flat lemonade doctors also recommend flat coca-cola.

So if you tale a Dioralyte,have a glass of flat lemonade and one of Coca-cola you'll be fighting fit :lol:
dragon

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 02 May 2011 09:43

Doubt if flat Efes would have the same effect, somehow! :lol:

My doctor recommended flat coca-cola to me, and I have to say, it does seem to do the trick. It's got to be normal "fat" cola though, not the diet stuff. Oh, and if you add just a tiny pinch of sugar to it and stir, it makes it go flat almost immediately!
blondie

Postby dragon » 02 May 2011 19:05

norfolksantoman wrote:Sounds like a plan. I just wonder is slightly flat, warmish Effes will give the same results :lol: :lol:

I was going to do that once, but I bottled it :lol:
dragon

Postby shuggy bear » 02 May 2011 19:11

take a cork or 2 ..
shuggy bear

Postby mrs k » 04 May 2011 22:27

The other thing that helps an upset stomach is cola with salt and sugar...I know it sounds awful, but really works....good when hungover to........My kids swear by it after a night out to at the clubs lol. Helps to settle the stomach with the caffeine and sugar takes the gas out and salt helps hydration. My oter half neve takes ice while abroad either as he thinks that does not help if it is frozen tap water and you can't always tell in some bars
mrs k
New User
New User

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.