prickly heat

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

prickly heat

Postby lozzie66 » 31 Mar 2011 19:34

can anyone give me any advice what to use for prickly heat ive tried antihistamines and piz buin but nothing seems to work and staying out of the sun when on holiday is just soo out of the question
lozzie66
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: prickly heat

Postby Eatock08 » 31 Mar 2011 20:07

I've never had prickly heat but some people say the Lemon Cologne you can buy there helps or using P20
Eatock08

Postby lozzie66 » 31 Mar 2011 20:58

hi thank you might try the lemon cologne what tho is p20?
lozzie66
New User
New User

Postby Eatock08 » 31 Mar 2011 21:26

P20 is a sun lotion, you only need to apply it once and it lasts all day and if you have sensitive skin I beleive it doesn't aggrivate it.

Have a look on Ebay for it

Alison
Eatock08

Postby dksbbs » 01 Apr 2011 09:36

My daughter suffers and last year was her first year with only mild symptoms.

As normal she took antihistimines (Spelling) for two weeks before the holiday and duing the holiday.

But the one thing that was brand new this year was that she went for a Turkish bath the first day and had the full works cleaning the dead skin away, we are sure this helped.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby adewolves » 01 Apr 2011 10:06

Magicool Plus Prickly Heat Spray. A lot of people swear by that, I don't suffer myself but the last 2 occasions we have been to Icmeler my father in law has come with us and he suffers. He went to the pharmacists in the resort and they gave him some cream, I don't know what it was called but it worked a treat for him.
adewolves

Advertisement

Postby heather1961 » 01 Apr 2011 10:28

I suffer from prickly heat.

Tried various antihistamines with no luck until two years ago i tried Boots hayfever and allergy relief tablets
(orange box). Started taking it one week before departure and whilst we were on holiday and didnt have as much as an itch.

I tried the turkish bath it didn't work for me but may work for others.
heather1961

Postby willie ross » 01 Apr 2011 10:50

a t shirt
willie ross
New User
New User

Postby blondie » 01 Apr 2011 10:55

The Magicool prickly heat spray seems to help my daughter, but it is also worth having a chat with your GP and checking whether it is in fact prickly heat you get, or something similar called PLE (polymorphic light eruption). It's often mistaken for prickly heat, but the treatment is different.
blondie

Postby dragon » 01 Apr 2011 13:03

I'm prone to prickly heat. A few years ago whilst on holiday in Greece I had a really bad bout of it. I had a cream from the pharmacy which was absolutely brilliant. I used this cream each time I had prickly heat or a similar rash until the tube finished. I then took it to my Doctor to see if he could prescribe this cream for me. He checked the ingredients and said that these creams are not meant to be used repeatedly and would make my skin more sensitive in the long run. I had noticed that it was happening more often. He also said that that cream would not have been prescribed in the UK and that medicines or creams from pharmacies on holiday should be used as a one-off until you get home, just to solve the immediate problem. At home I won't take any medication without reading the instruction leaflet, yet on holiday I just accept what the pharmacist tells me, which is a bit daft of me really.

The advice I was given is to go into the water as soon as I feel hot so that my body has a chance to cool down. You don't have to stay in, you can just go for a dip as apparently overheating causes the problem. This is preventative, you don't wait until the rash appears. He prescribed a hydrocortisone cream for me as well just in case.

His advice has worked for me as I haven't had it for the last five years when I used to have it every time and I go in July. :D
dragon

Postby lozzie66 » 01 Apr 2011 18:30

thank you every one for the advice will try some of the suggestions
lozzie66
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby xXxJanxXx » 01 Apr 2011 20:34

Hi, I always get an anti histamine injection from the pharmacy by the tansas - fantastic my prickly heat was gone in 24hrs. no prickly heat all holiday it costs £10 worth every penny. :) :) :)
xXxJanxXx

Postby mazz » 03 Apr 2011 00:05

If you can't stomach the injection, you're best off getting anti-histamine tablets, gel and cream from one of the chemists in icmeler - far better (stronger) than what you get here!

I used to suffer quite badly with heat rash, but have found the last few years that by using a good body scrub a few days before I leave the UK to remove dead skin and unclog pores prevents the misery heat rash!

Mazz
mazz

Postby Fanny » 05 Apr 2011 22:48

blondie wrote:The Magicool prickly heat spray seems to help my daughter, but it is also worth having a chat with your GP and checking whether it is in fact prickly heat you get, or something similar called PLE (polymorphic light eruption). It's often mistaken for prickly heat, but the treatment is different.

Hi Lozzie, found to my cost the first time I went to Icmeler that I've got PLE or should I say I found out when I got home!

I get super strength anthihistamines from my GP and start taking them a week before I go, I also use Simple Sun Cream - amazing stuff!

Hope you don't suffer too much
Fanny

Postby Colette » 06 Apr 2011 13:13

The advice I was given is to go into the water as soon as I feel hot so that my body has a chance to cool down

Probably why I get it so bad, I never go in the water cos don't like getting wet :lol:

Would PLE not get you in normal daylight or just sunlight ?
Colette

Postby blondie » 06 Apr 2011 13:34

My mum suffered quite badly from PLE and would get it on a sunny day here in this country, Colette - but ordinary daylight didn't seem to bother her. It just seems to be when it's really sunny and hot.
blondie

Advertisement

Postby Colette » 06 Apr 2011 13:41

I saw it on TV the other week, keep meaning to google it see if mine is that or prickly heat. Normal daylight is ok but sunlight and I look like a prickly red monster :lol:
Colette

Postby lozzie66 » 07 Apr 2011 19:34

thank you everyone for the advice i might go see my doctor and see what he suggests as i do seem to always get it when in direct heat and somedays it gets unbearable
lozzie66
New User
New User

Postby Fanny » 07 Apr 2011 22:29

great plan Lozzie - didn't realise that there are different antihistamines for different conditions. the ones I get from my GP for hols are specially for skin flare ups. hope they work for you - find I've still got to take it easy in the sun and gradually get used to it, and if I'm not careful, I do get a mild case of PLE. Can't recommend Simple sun cream enough - Boots usually have it on 2 4 1 and it goes a very long way

Col - can't speak for others, but my PLE only happens in very hot very sunny conditions. sun creams with oil of any sort in tend to make it 10 times worse. think you'd know the difference between that and prickly heat though - the blisters with PLE are like bullseyes, and end up waterfilled blisters - apols if you've not had your tea yet haha
Fanny

Postby oscarnorwich » 10 Apr 2011 08:04

Has anyone tried Rona Ross prickly heat remedy,I've used it and find it helps.I have prickly heat mildly though.Tina.
oscarnorwich

• Advertisement

Next

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.