Turkish Lira at Asda

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Turkish Lira at Asda

Postby gez45 » 27 Feb 2011 00:04

After reading all the posts recently about exchange rates etc I had a word with a young lady at the travel place in Asda(can't remember what it's called sorry), and told her that if I bought off them online it said I would get 2.49, she said that for £1000 she could let me have 2.50 to the £, but for £1200 I could have 2.53 to the £. Now considering the best I got in Icmeler last year was around 2.36 and the gamble we all face with interest rates going up or down, I'm taking this.
I know that when we get there in August it could be higher, as we all know we get a better rate there than here, I think the best we ever had was 4 years ago at 2.50, but then the best the year after that was a around 2.22 so who knows what to do for the best, but at 2.53 I can't grumble ,even if it does go up over the next few months it would still be the best rate we ever had, and you know what they say about a " bird in the hand ", so if it's still available at that rate in the morning I'm having it , cheers. :D
gez45

Advertisement

Re: Turkish Lira at Asda

Postby dksbbs » 27 Feb 2011 12:06

Thats a really good rate, On Friday the interbank rate closed at 2.57530 so even at the supermarkets in Icmeler I would only expect 2.53 this week as you typically loose 0.05 when changing money. People changing money now will only loose out if the interbank rate is higher at the time of their visit, definately worth the gamble in my opinion, the best I have got in Icmeler since 2002 is about 2.6

Dave
dksbbs

Postby dksbbs » 27 Feb 2011 12:15

For those interested the ASDA stores with in shop exchange facilities are listed as the following on their website

Queslett - Birmingham, Bristol, Coryton - Cardiff, Coventry, Doncaster, Gloucester, Havant, High Wycombe, Ipswich, Leamington Spa, Lincoln, Aintree - Liverpool, Huyton - Liverpool, Mansfield, Milton Keynes, West Bridgford - Nottingham, Park Royal - Ealing, Swansea, St Matthews - Walsall, Monks Cross - York

Gez which bramch did you go into?

Dave
dksbbs

Postby dragon » 27 Feb 2011 20:57

I've been watching Asda's rates online as well and the highest rate I've seen is 2.4961 on 25th February.

I agree with Dave in that 2.53 is a good rate. You also have your Lira straight away. It is more of a gamble ordering on the internet as a company can go bust overnight as happened with Crown Currency Exchange last October, when a lot of people lost their money. Crown Currency Exchange was registered with the Financial Services Authority, but as the FSA classfied it as a Small Payment Institution it was not required to be authorised, and so did not have to hold separate accounts for client money meaning that you lost your money unless you had used a credit card.

It's always better to use a company that has your money for the shortest time, so there are no risks at all in-store at Asda. The only thing that would hold me back is that to get this rate you need to change £1,200. The rate could still go up in a few weeks. It's a gamble, many people study currencies as their profession and even they don't always get it right.

The highest rate we've had in Icmeler was 2.9 in 2006 but I don't think that we're going to see rates like that for a long time.
dragon

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.