Insect repellent

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Insect repellent

Postby Ashley » 24 Jan 2011 19:37

Does anyone know which of Avon's skin so soft spray the little buggers don't like? I cant remember if it was the blue or pink one. Any other suggestions for insect repellent?

Thanks! :D
Ashley

Advertisement

Re: Insect repellent

Postby ochlynda » 24 Jan 2011 19:41

Blue one

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby Fanny » 24 Jan 2011 20:52

Oho and thanks Lynda - that explains how I managed to get cellulitis from a mozzie bite after staying in Dalyan this year despite using S-S-S :oops:
I thought it was the green one :wink: :lol:
Fanny

Postby ochlynda » 24 Jan 2011 21:06

At least the blue one worked for my hubby and mum they both used it last year and neither of them were biten once. Highly unusual as both are usually eaten alive

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby blondie » 24 Jan 2011 21:26

They change the packaging from time to time, but the one you want is Skin So Soft original (usually in bluey/green packaging) - it used te called Woodland Fresh, then Soft and Fresh. The most recent bottles I have are a creamy/white colour with bluey/green on them.
blondie

Postby kentcabbie » 25 Jan 2011 02:42

The blue one didnt work for me got bitten walking down the canal one night last may and got cellulitus as well ,not nice.
kentcabbie

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 25 Jan 2011 07:49

Different things work for different people - I'm a mozzie magnet (and when I get bitten, they always get infected!) and I've tried just about everything, but the only thing which seems to work for me is the Avon SSS. You've just got to try and see what works best for you.
blondie

Postby Chocoholic » 25 Jan 2011 15:20

I think the Avon SSS will repel mosquito's to a certain extent (I have been bitten when using this but not as much) but the best thing you can use is the products and repellents which are specifically for this as is advised by the World Health Organisation, when people need protection when they visit tropical malarial countries they would no way recommend a product of this type. Visit certain countries and without proper protection is not just an itch or infection but a matter of life or death. I have also found when you visit a country ask the locals what they use and you wont go far wrong.
Chocoholic

Postby blondie » 25 Jan 2011 15:29

I have no idea what I'd do if I had to visit a malarial region, as those stronger repellents play havoc with my sensitive skin - maybe I'll just stick to Turkey!
blondie

Postby Ashley » 26 Jan 2011 15:13

Thanks guys! i'll try out the skin so soft blue when im over there, if it doesnt work i could always call into one of their chemists to see what they would recommend :)
Ashley

Postby Fanny » 26 Jan 2011 21:10

kentcabbie wrote:The blue one didnt work for me got bitten walking down the canal one night last may and got cellulitus as well ,not nice.

you've got my sympathy :wink:
have to say though, didn't work out too badly for me in the end - managed to get another couple of days off work and spent them in the garden at home, feet up with a good book of course haha
Fanny

Advertisement

Postby Sandancer » 26 Jan 2011 22:16

Although I only suffered a couple of bites during my early visits to Icmeler, a friend suggested to me to take Garlic tablets for 2 weeks prior to my departure. I took her advice and still take the Garlic tablets beforehand and never have a problem with bites! :D :D
Sandancer

Postby Sue » 27 Jan 2011 20:05

I take vit b complex 2 weeks before i go and whilst i am there and it works for me
Sue

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.