do thomas cook weigh hand luggage?

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

do thomas cook weigh hand luggage?

Postby mayfair612 » 27 Jul 2010 11:19

am packing and unpacking my case and hand luggage to try and reduce my weight but nothing works. have got case as close to 20kg as poss allowing for slight error either way and now trying to reduce hand luggage to 5 kilo. this one i am really struggling with, all my light weight bigs are too big and all my bags that are the right dimensions are too heavy. taking my lap top i know is not helping but i have free access at hotel and love the idea of watching all my progs and movies etc while away and checking email by the pool feels very fancy. BUT my worry is as i cant go much lower than 6.5 kgs is do thomas cook weigh hand luggage? have never seen it done, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen. and do they allow time to re -juggle things about so that i am at right weight?
mayfair612
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: do T**** C**** weigh hand luggage?

Postby sue.c » 27 Jul 2010 11:28

Hi there,

I have seen this done with a lot of airlines they ask to see your hand luggage and if it looks big or heavy they will ask you to weight it and i have seen people take things out of hand luggage and put into cases and visa versa
hope this helps.
sue
sue.c

Postby fin54 » 27 Jul 2010 11:37

I have an Itsa Towel (google them because their great on the beach)but its heavy, it's bright pink and I'm thinking of wrapping it round my shoulders @ check in lol just to be able to take it with me.
fin54

Postby D Craddock » 27 Jul 2010 11:56

We travel from birmingham. At the check in as you pass your luggage thru it is weighed then.
Alway have fears in will go over but so far so good.
D Craddock

Postby tamii » 27 Jul 2010 12:05

i've never had mine weighed with TC and i know that more times than not it's been over 5 kilos. this year especially i'm gonna take the chance and pack as much in my hand luggage as i can. as someone else said - if they look at your hand luggage and think it looks big/heavy they may ask to weigh it. i also have never had my hand luggage weighed at dalaman either - maybe i've been lucky :D
tamii

Postby dksbbs » 27 Jul 2010 12:11

I have seen hand luggage weighed when the hold luggage has been boarder line, I have also seen hand luggage weighed when the checkin agent has asked to see the hand luggage and it was obviously over weight when the lady checking in struggled slightly when picking it up and lifting it above the checkin desk for the agent to see. On these occassions it was not TC

Only seen TC passengers weigh hand luggage at Dalaman.

Dave
dksbbs

Advertisement

Postby Erik The Viking » 27 Jul 2010 12:39

Never had mine checked at Gatwick, and seen some people with BIG hand luggage not get asked.
Erik The Viking

Postby laura180306 » 27 Jul 2010 13:11

Travelled with TC this year for the first time and they didnt weigh our hand luggage. Hope this helps.
laura180306

Postby ian » 27 Jul 2010 14:25

don't think you should be worried about going ! but trust me on the way back they will nail you for every penny they can at dalaman airport ! especially as most people have more weight on the way back.
ian

Postby starchild01 » 27 Jul 2010 15:03

Have you seen the money expert wh goes on GMTV? He was saying about this jacket with loads of pockets in it, including one on the back where you can put your laptop. Because you wear this jacket with all the pockets cramed pack full, you can get away with taking a lot more stuff. I was reading that these jackets can be bought for about £10-£15 from charity shops after the summer rush. Unfortunately I can't find the article, so can't give you the proper name for the jackets, but they sound like a damn good idea. Hope this helps
starchild01

Postby amreid » 27 Jul 2010 18:48

i flew with TC in june from aberdeen and they weighed my hand luggage and i was charged. not taking mcuh next time if i can avoid it but its dufficult with all the sales on just now. so many dresses and shoes begging to be bought and worn. :D :D
amreid

Advertisement

Postby Kalof » 28 Jul 2010 09:46

The last 3 times I have flown from Manchester to Dalaman with TC my hand luggage has been weighed. The last time it was 2kg over and I had to transfer some things into my suitcase which luckily had come in under the 20 kg. I did notice though that some TC check-in personnel were not weighing hand luggage and I was praying that I would get to their desks (I was in a huge queue for all TC flights) but as usual my luck ran out and I went to one of the ones who were religiously weighing all customers hand luggage. I had breakable things in my hand luggage which obviously I didn't want to put into the suitcase but had no option in the end, there was no lee-way!

Stupid thing about hand luggage is that once into duty free etc the 5kg weight is usually exceeded anyway!

Chris
Kalof

Postby tamii » 28 Jul 2010 09:54

Kalof wrote:Stupid thing about hand luggage is that once into duty free etc the 5kg weight is usually exceeded anyway!Chris

i agree - by the time i hit boots for my toiletries i'll be nearing my hold luggage allowance :lol: :lol:
tamii

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 29 Jul 2010 20:49

TC weighed mine coming out of aberdeen on the 9th june
so yeah i would imagine that they are applying this to all their flights now
xxxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby John V » 30 Jul 2010 06:00

I always go to the airport with the thought that all our luggage will be weighed and we pack a accordingly, sometimes it is not weighed but just incase.
Once we are into the waiting area we the stock up with items from Boots & W H Smiths creams, lotions, water, & sandwiches.
John V

Postby starchild01 » 04 Aug 2010 17:32

Hi mayfair612. I commented on your recent post, and also mentioned about a jacket that you can now purchase. I have found the article, and hope that it will be of help.

15 Pocket Jacket
On ITV1 Tonight this Thur 7.30pm see new budget airline fee-beating experiments
They charge for checking in bags & they charge for over 10kg of hand luggage, so I ordered a special US 'survivalists' jacket' with pockets that hold a laptop, books, passports, clothes and more; see the results and other tips in the prog.
starchild01

Advertisement

Postby buesky » 04 Aug 2010 21:00

at the check in they do look out for over weight bags, i.e bags bulging, straps digging into your shoulder and how tight the grasp is on your hands are on the straps and where abouts your hand luggage is on the trolley as a bag will fit nicely on top of the trolley handle if ok.
buesky
New User
New User

Postby Susi1962 » 14 Aug 2010 18:43

starchild01 wrote:Hi mayfair612. I commented on your recent post, and also mentioned about a jacket that you can now purchase. I have found the article, and hope that it will be of help.

15 Pocket Jacket
On ITV1 Tonight this Thur 7.30pm see new budget airline fee-beating experiments
They charge for checking in bags & they charge for over 10kg of hand luggage, so I ordered a special US 'survivalists' jacket' with pockets that hold a laptop, books, passports, clothes and more; see the results and other tips in the prog.

Just checked this out on Ebay and they had a price of 100 euros!!!! :cry:
Susi1962

Postby Not the weakest link » 17 Aug 2010 15:26

Having just come back with only 15kg luggage. Would suggest you loose a pair of shoes, skirt /shorts and top and or a beach towel if your struggling with 20kgs because they will weigh hand luggage as others have said if in doubt they'll say put in the suitcase. I got caught out few years ago with First choice and got stuck with £74 excess baggage going out.

i took 3 linen trousers, 2 shorts, 3 dresses, 1 skirt, 4 strappy tops and 4 night time tops, sarong and undies and a cossie. 2 flip flops and pair of crocs, and i travelled in one of the pair of flip flops. And i reckon there were 2 tops i didnt wear.

Hubby could have fitted his stuff in 2 tesco shopping bags I reckon

Hubby took bit less than me we were at about 12 kgs each but then the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, sun cream got added and lotions n potions then we had about 1kg spare in the suitcase. The stuff was rattling round the case it was strange having loads of room left.

I had a net book in my handluggage and hubby had camera in his, they didnt weigh our handluggage at Manchester luckily but some of ours was food for the plane, but i bet my bag was 6kgs. The chargers for electrical things added some more weight as well.

I bought one of those primark light bags for £3 that carried my handluggage in, but had another small shoulder strap handbag for passports, purse and ticket so could have shoved it in the ever growing primark bag if there was a problem - then the £3 bag got used as a beach bag, it held up well.

Have fun repacking, we did it at least 3 times

Bev
Not the weakest link

Postby Natalie21 » 18 Aug 2010 13:18

i flew with tc in may never had my hand luggage weighed none of our party did there was 6 of us i never saw any one who was checkin in before me get there's weigh either so... a dunno that was a flight from Glasgow i go on the 5th of september and i have not started packing yet ... but i hope my hand luggage doesnt get weighed but theres a party of 8 this time so if they do am sure we could do some shuffling lol
Natalie21

• Advertisement

Next

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.