Injections

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Injections

Postby robbo » 07 Jul 2010 18:21

Does anyone still get theirs before going, we got them 1st time we went about 15 years ago but hav'nt bothered since and have been at least 11 times. just wondering if like us you dont worry about them or are some of you sticklers for getting them :D
Cheers Robbo 8)
robbo

Advertisement

Re: Injections

Postby icmeler14 » 07 Jul 2010 18:27

Hi I have been going for 15 years and never once had any injections..it's probably a personal choice or if you have young children or are more prone to catching infections etc
icmeler14

Postby Jozzyd » 07 Jul 2010 19:44

12 years every year almost and never had an injection yet :)
Jozzyd

Postby Sue » 08 Jul 2010 12:39

As i have asthma i checked with the nurse what i needed, I had both hepatitus, typhiod, the nurse said they were not mandatory but i might as well have them now as pretty soon we were all going to be charged the full amount which is about £80 per injection, so she said i might as well have them as they were free :D
Sue

Postby stonie » 02 Aug 2010 12:49

ONly advisory I know but we have always had ours, now covered for ten years so worth doing before you have to say for them
stonie

Postby KevDaLad » 04 Aug 2010 17:57

Hia :P
Myself and the wife had just had our jabs for travel in September. They recommended that we have a Tetanus booster (if required) and hepatitus A.
it was a simple prick in each arm at the shoulder, didnt hurt at all apart from the next day it felt a bit dead arm-ish.
Hope thiis helps

Kev :lol:
KevDaLad

Advertisement

Postby Chris » 04 Aug 2010 22:22

Yes Im a stickler for them,Ive had all the recommended ones,I get them free,so I will have whats going,cant be too careful,even in the UK !! :twisted:
Chris

Postby John V » 05 Aug 2010 16:13

Mary and I follow the same path as Chris and have had all the recommended injection for many years .We ensure they are reviewed and updated when required as we agree far better to be careful than not.
John......
John V

Postby dksbbs » 19 Aug 2010 21:48

John V wrote:Mary and I follow the same path as Chris and have had all the recommended injection for many years .We ensure they are reviewed and updated when required as we agree far better to be careful than not.
John......

We are exactly the same, better to be safe than sorry.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby KarenH » 18 Sep 2010 09:33

we have never had any injections for going on holiday, but are up to date anyway with all the ones given mandatory in the UK, like tetnus ect...
KarenH

Postby dragon » 18 Sep 2010 15:02

We checked with the nurse before going the first time. Was told it wasn't essential at all if you're visiting a tourist area. If you intend to travel further into other areas then we were told that we should have the recommended list of injections. As we were not venturing too far we decided not to have the injections. This was a number of years ago and have never had any problems. I just don't think its a good idea to bombard your system with all of these injections if their not essential as they can also cause side effects.
dragon

Advertisement

Postby dksbbs » 19 Sep 2010 17:49

dragon wrote: I just don't think its a good idea to bombard your system with all of these injections if their not essential as they can also cause side effects.

Its an individual choice, lets just hope that a waiter serving you who has come from the areas that have these deceases is not a carrier.

I can't understand when these injections are free people don't take advantage of them however it is an individual choice.

If you want some facts then carry on reading.

Typhoid, Hep A and Tetanus are all present in Turkey, mainly in the south east but remember people come from the south east to work in the resorts, someone who has had typhoid may seem totally OK but they can be infectious for a year, if you want to know the symptoms they are as follows:-

HEP A
Most people get better, symptoms can be severe, even deadly: high liver enzymes, high fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and telltale jaundice. Symptoms last 1 to 4 weeks.

Typhiod (245000 cases in Turkey 1996-2006 see Here )

Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi. Persons with typhoid fever usually have a sustained fever as high as 103 to 104 F (39 to 40 C). They may also feel weak, or have stomach pains, headache, or loss of appetite. In some cases, patients have a rash of flat, rose-colored spots.

Tetnus

The incubation period from the time of the wound to the time of the symptoms is anywhere from a day to several months, with an average of about eight to nine days. Initially, individuals are very tired, irritable, have headaches, neck stiffness, and difficulty swallowing. Then comes the muscle rigidity and spasm, which you will have sustained contractions of muscles, specifically facial and jaw muscles, hence the term lock jaw. The overall mortality rate is around 30%. In individuals over 60 years of age, it jumps to 50%.
dksbbs

Postby dksbbs » 19 Sep 2010 17:55

The above is not intended to frighten anyone but I think most of us go with the atitude it will never happen to me, I just want people to look at the full picture and mitigate any risk.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby dragon » 19 Sep 2010 22:45

I agree with Dave that you should get the full picture.
I went through all of the above info with the practice nurse and as she said that the injections were not essential decided not to have them. I even double checked with the hospital as I was concerned about TB and was told "you need to be in an enclosed area with an infected person for at least 6 hours before you could catch it."

I have a disability where my immune system has been compromised so I would be taking a risk to have them, so in my case it makes more sense not to have them. I also differ in that even if I didn't have this disability the fact that they are free wouldn't make me decide to have them. There is so much information about ill health as a result of vaccinations that I would be wary. Like any medication, vaccinations can have potential side effects.

There is even a recognised illness resulting from vaccinations called Post Viral Syndrome, the symptoms can include colds, amber or green phlegm, inflamed eyes, loss of eye contact, squinting, hair loss, inflammation of the middle ear, bronchitis, expectoration, coughing, asthma, eczema, allergies, inflamed joints, autism, excessive thirst, diabetes, diarrhea, constipation, headaches, disturbed sleep with periods of waking and crying, epilepsy, rigidity of the back, muscle cramps, light-headedness, lack of concentration, loss of memory, growth disturbances, lack of coordination, disturbed development, behavioral problems such as fidgeting, aggressiveness, irritation, moodiness, emotional imbalance, confusion, loss of will-power, mental torpidity.Other symptoms being fever, convulsions, absent-mindedness, encephalitis and/or meningitis, limbs swollen around the point of inoculation, whooping-type cough, bronchitis, diarrhea, somnolence, inconsolable crying, penetrating and heart-rending shrieking, fainting/shock, pneumonia, death.

These symptoms are just as scary as the illnesses you're vaccinating against. Neither choice is right or wrong, because these immunisations are not classed as essential for travel to Turkey it is a matter of personal choice whether you have them, or not. Of course, if you intend to go away from the "touristy" areas you definitely need to have them.
dragon

Postby dksbbs » 20 Sep 2010 10:56

Dragon that was a very imformative post, thanks for posting. I think having the facts form both sides will assist others with their decision making.

Dave :D
dksbbs

Postby John V » 20 Sep 2010 13:57

I am on the side of prevention rather than cure
John V

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.