What to bring and what to buy

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

What to bring and what to buy

Postby kentlisa » 21 Jun 2010 20:09

Hi all

We are coming self catering for 2 weeks end of July.

We are on a bit of a budget and wondering what food would be cheaper to bring with me from the UK and what would be best to buy in Icmeler.

We will bring tea bags, coffee, bacon and sausages.

But what about cereals, butter, cold meats and cheeses for sandwiches, washing up liquid and sugar?

We just need stuff for mainly breakfasts and lunches, as we will be eating out in the evenings and also taking the odd lunch out.

Also when buying milk what is similar to our skimmed?

Many thanks for your help.

Lisa
kentlisa

Advertisement

Re: What to bring and what to buy

Postby Sue » 21 Jun 2010 20:18

You can buy almost everything over there, the only thing i would say is to buy your coffee here as it is expensive in Turkey, we normally take enough washing up liquid and sugar to last us for a couple of days and buy it there, we also take a tin of ham and tuna with us for sandwiches if we dont feel like eating out at lunch, bread is so cheap over there and you can get each fresh out of the oven from the bakers daily, we took cereal with us but did not eat it as we just got the fresh bread each morning.

You can now buy fresh mild over there, just dont get it confused with ayran :lol: which is like a yoghurt drink, i know someone that got it last year mistake and took it back and complained that the milk was off :lol:
Sue

Postby dksbbs » 21 Jun 2010 20:42

bacon and sausages

It is actually illegal to import uncanned meat so be careful you don't get caught, I know a lot of people do it and I have never heard of a problem but you should be aware.

My wife for the kids normally takes a pack of dairylea triangles, a couple of tins of tuna and a couple of tins of ham however this year with the reduced luggage allowance the tins are going but the youngest must have her triangles.

We shop for fresh bread most days, not from the supermarkets but direct from the bakers. We buy salamis and salad from Tansas also the Jam overthere is the best I have ever tasted and thats lovely on fresh bread with a bit of butter.

I am sure you will cope, also if on a budget try the Pide shops for a kabab or turkish pizza they are good value at lunch, also we occassionaly go to Harry Rams the odd evening where Pie and chips and a drink for 4 people was about 40 Lira last year which is a cheap meal.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby Not the weakest link » 23 Jun 2010 18:28

Hi also you could put washing up liquid in those small 100ml bottles. And sugar if you need it start collecting sachets from cafe's or mcdonalds and ketchup sachets.

I used to take sausage and bacon as well and butter also those mini cereal boxes. Also if your staying somewhere with a toaster get those JML toaster bags you could make cheese toasties. Its the only way the sliced bread is remotely edible, check sell by dates on the sliced bread i've taken many back that were off.

The unsliced freshly baked stuff is gorgeous, but if you have a bread knife at home i would recommend taking it with you in the suitcase, the ones in apartments wouldnt cut butter never mind bread, thats if you have one at all.

There used to be a greengrocers near tansas not sure if its still there, but their veg was way better quality than in the many little local shops.

Agree with Dave you can make lovely jam butties, or even buy some honey.

Only thing thats a pain to get is dilutable juice, they have Princes's which have orange bits floating in it, or you buy Tang powder and make a jugful up. One year i took 2 bottles of Robinsons with us, but we had 20 kgs each so we managed with suitcase weight.

You can do the holiday on a budget, have fun.

Regards Bev
Not the weakest link

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 23 Jun 2010 20:01

aw i didnt know that it was illegal to import uncanned meat
a lot of my turkish friends have asked me to bring them over proper bacon before cause its hard to get in turkey with them all being muslim because they dont eat pork
a lot of them use it for the english breakfasts in their restaurants
xxxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby redrhino12 » 23 Jun 2010 21:37

This is the milk we buy,it is a long life milk and tastes great with cereals etc.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/ ... 007157.jpg

Gene
Last edited by redrhino12 on 25 Jun 2010 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
redrhino12

Advertisement

Postby Sue » 24 Jun 2010 13:47

if you dont like the long life milk you can buy fresh, the milk that Red Rhino has shown you is good though, by the way Red Rhino does the mrs think you are going potty when you takes photos of cartons of milk :lol:
Sue

Postby ochlynda » 24 Jun 2010 15:06

Might be potty but very helpful :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby Sue » 24 Jun 2010 18:03

yes very helpful :D
Sue

Postby dinky_cath » 24 Jun 2010 18:24

The mılk ın the pıc ıs whole mılk - You want the BLUE one for semı-skımmed and the RED one for skımmed.
dinky_cath

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.