Travellers Cheques or Sterling

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Travellers Cheques or Sterling

Postby brookshall » 21 Aug 2009 18:56

Hi all, just wanting to know which would be the best to take, first time we have been to Turkey, really looking forward to it, but is it better to take sterling or travellers cheques or no difference.

Cheers

Mark
brookshall
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: Travellers Cheques or Sterling

Postby mazz » 21 Aug 2009 19:59

Hi Mark

I usually take a mixture - enough Turkish lira to see you through the first day (as you'll get a better exchange rate over there), some sterling and sterling travellers cheques. Travellers cheques can be cashed anywhere, you don't need to visit a bank or change office. I always use the supermarket under the ICR office to change cash and cheques and you get the same exchange rate for both (just write your passport number on the reverse of cheques before handing them over - they may want to see your passport the first time you cash though, I don't have a problem with this as they know me quite well in there! :lol: )

Just make sure you hire a safe box at your accommodation for the duration of your stay - they're normally £10 a week.

Hope you have a great time

Mazz
mazz

Postby andy r » 21 Aug 2009 20:19

Returned a fortnight ago,we only took sterling found it much easier to pay for everything,no messing about with exchange rates etc
andy r

Postby John V » 22 Aug 2009 10:32

I used to take a mixture of Sterling Cheques and Poundnotes, on the last 2 trips I have only taken Poundnotes and the same as Andy find it easier.
John V

Postby brookshall » 23 Aug 2009 10:10

Hi all, thanks for all your advise, realy useful, much appreciated, roll on 6 weeks time.
brookshall
New User
New User

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.