mosquitos

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

mosquitos

Postby dusty » 14 Aug 2009 14:16

With the weather being so hot what are the mossies like are there a lot more than usual
just wondering I am one of these people who mossies love and if anyone is to get bitten I am
I take anithisamines tabs when I arrive and still get bitten but not as bad as I any bits I get swell up and look like blisters
hope someone who is just back can help me on this thanks :?:
dusty x x
dusty

Advertisement

Re: mosquitos

Postby blondie » 14 Aug 2009 15:13

I'm also a mozzie magnet and have been bitten so badly in the past that I've needed antibiotics, etc (in fact, I've still some of the scars to show!) Anyway, I took the Avon SSS Dry Oil Spray with me in June - stupidly, I didn't put any on before I arrived, and got two bites on my right hand - must have happened either at Dalaman airport or on the way to the resort.
Anyway, had to go to the chemist to get stuff for them, as my hand swelled up like a paw! However, I religiously plastered myself with the SSS for the rest of my holiday and didn't get a single other bite - although hubby and son did pick up a few.
I will not be going anywhere again without the SSS - seemed to work for me, that's all I can say. I have been told, though, that it's got to be the dry oil spray in the soft and fresh version - the bubble baths, etc, apparently don't work as well.
blondie

Postby sunnylady » 14 Aug 2009 15:27

Hi, Arrived back on tuesday from Icmeler after spending 10 days there. Hubby normally gets bitten by these little blighters but never got any in Icmeler. Took some mossie stuff to use if he was bitten but didn't use it. Have used the stuff from Avon before and he's been fine.
sunnylady

Postby tamii » 14 Aug 2009 15:37

def invest in some Avon SSS. Apply the dry oil spray when you come out of the shower/after applying sun-cream or after-sun and the mossies will leave you in peace :D
tamii

Postby Sue » 14 Aug 2009 15:46

I put a few drops of lemon grass in my suntan lotion and after sun, also I take Vit b complex tablets 2 weeks before i go away and whilst i am there this seems to do the trick
Sue

Postby reesy1959 » 14 Aug 2009 19:29

I am also a firm believer in the Avon SSS, green bottle, dry oil body spray. When I come out the shower in the evening I just spray on any exposed skin and I didnt have 1 bite in June.
reesy1959

Advertisement

Postby Birdy » 14 Aug 2009 20:49

I too am like a mozzie magnet normally and have been really covered in greece on many occasions but i dont recall getting bit at all last year in Icmeler .second week i was normally covered after purchasing some lemon fluid from Turunc ,it may well have helped .
Birdy

Postby worlass » 14 Aug 2009 20:54

stock piled this for 3 weeks time so i hope it works!! i think that with a Vitamin B1 tablet each day will be fine. Fingers crossed.
worlass

Postby Birdy » 14 Aug 2009 21:08

Turkey and Egypt are on the ball regards mozzies ,unlike greece. you often see chaps going round with the fume blowers to stamp em out.
Birdy

Postby Annemc » 15 Aug 2009 22:47

Hi

We took the avon stuff with us in June and never had one bite between the four of us. It was recommended to me by a girl in work whose boyfried is in the marines and she said thats what they give the armed forces in Afghanistan to combat the mosquitoes.
Annemc

Postby Chris » 16 Aug 2009 00:15

We didnt use any repellent in June and had no bites!!,question now is,we are going again in September are there more mozzies about then?.
Chris

Advertisement

Postby porky » 16 Aug 2009 10:55

Sorry to sound a bit dim, but could someone please confirm which SSS ... is it the Skin so Soft and Sensual at £2.50 ..(been reduced) or the Skin so Soft Original at £2.50. We're going to Icmeler in September for the first time, and we both get eaten alive by mosquitos. My husband finished up having hospital treatment last year in Southern Spain. Thanks so much.
porky
New User
New User

Postby Eatock08 » 16 Aug 2009 12:48

porky wrote:Sorry to sound a bit dim, but could someone please confirm which SSS ... is it the Skin so Soft and Sensual at £2.50 ..(been reduced) or the Skin so Soft Original at £2.50. We're going to Icmeler in September for the first time, and we both get eaten alive by mosquitos. My husband finished up having hospital treatment last year in Southern Spain. Thanks so much.

Hiya

Its the Skin So Soft dry Oil Spray in a green bottle
Eatock08

Postby porky » 16 Aug 2009 13:39

Thanks for all your help. I will stock up on SSS before we go in September. Can't wait after reading all the wonderful reports about Icmeler.
porky
New User
New User

Postby blondie » 16 Aug 2009 15:14

It's the Skin So Soft soft and fresh (which used to be called woodland fresh, so we're both talking about the same stuff, Becks :) ) - it's the one in the green bottle and you're best with the dry oil spray.
blondie

Postby Dannii_89 » 17 Aug 2009 12:37

Have been to icmeler in may, aug, sept and october before and never had any trouble with the mozzies, they must not like the taste of me!! But we went in june/july this year and i got quite a few bites and some of them have left scars!

Not sure if it's because it was so hot or if i'm just suddenly appetising to them but will definitely be taking my garlic capsules before i go in october to be on the safe side!
Dannii_89

Advertisement

Postby Katiehutchinson_1991 » 21 Aug 2009 21:48

they spray the air and put bleach down the drains to kill them all
so there shouldnt be much of them in icmeler
xxxxx
Katiehutchinson_1991

Postby jayjay1950 » 21 Aug 2009 22:28

We was there at the beginning of August and no one got any mozzy bites. Its the only year i haven't been bothered with them. I took avon dry oil but didn't have to use it
jayjay1950

Postby reesy1959 » 22 Aug 2009 01:59

I think it depends where you are staying, if you are near the water or canal, you are more liable to be bitten than if you are not staying near a canal.

Mossies seem to bite more around stagnant water!
reesy1959

Postby KarenH » 23 Aug 2009 08:14

we didnt see any in july....one evening we were sat in dreamboys having a meal, when they switched the lights down and said the mozzi's were coming..... :?: anyway, we ate the meal, and left with me grumbling about hardley being able to see the food..

on the calan, just buying a t shirts from a stall, hubby said......dont look up.....!

so i did..... :mrgreen:

the ceilings on the stall was snided in mozzi's 3 and 4 deep...crawling everywhere.......hundreds of them...

didnt get any bites tho, and we just used the avon sss spray, and the lemon spray from the local shop.....
KarenH

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.