Excess baggage charges at Dalaman

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Excess baggage charges at Dalaman

Postby andytaj » 16 Aug 2009 15:35

Hi everyone.

Some friends of ours have just returned from Olu Deniz, having booked their holiday through T*****C**K. They flew with M*****h airlines.

Last night they warned us about excess baggage charges they incurred at Dalaman airport on they way home.

Their allowance going out was 20kg, but, when they checked in at Dalaman for the return, they were told the allowance for the return journey was only 15kg!!

They were charged £120 for excess baggage. After much discussion, that charge was reduced to £80 as that was all the cash they had left on them from their holiday.

I've never come across this before, I'm wondering whether anyone on here has encountered this.

Seems very odd that the baggage allowance would be less on the return flight than the outgoing one.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Andy and Tracey
andytaj

Advertisement

Re: Excess baggage charges at Dalaman

Postby dotty » 16 Aug 2009 15:38

Haven't heard of this before, but its a warning to us all who have still to go to Icmeler. I intend to be around the 15kg when I go even though I have 20kg allowance. I do know that G****span weigh your hand luggage and hold luggage as the allowance is a total of 20kg per person altogether.
dotty

Postby andytaj » 16 Aug 2009 15:46

Hopefully we won't experience this as we are going on a package deal with F**** C****. I have just checked and our allowance is 20kg. No mention of reduction on return journeys.

Andy and Tracey
andytaj

Postby Eatock08 » 16 Aug 2009 17:05

That is strange as M****H is usually 20Kg anyway, did it not say on their ticket as my tickets with them say 20Kg each way
Eatock08

Postby andytaj » 16 Aug 2009 19:05

Well, this is the thing.

They were told the tickets stated 15kg, even though they showed 20kg on the outward flight, but they were really tired (Flying at Stupid O'Clock) and just wanted to get on the plane. Now they are home, they are pretty P****d off about it and wish they had paid more attention to the small print (If there was any).

They are not the kind of people to make a fuss though, so on their behalf and with their agreement, I told them I would post on here just to find out if anyone else has come across this situation.

Andy and Tracey
andytaj

Postby andytaj » 18 Aug 2009 22:17

Update:

Our friends went to TC today and after a few heated words and phone calls, discovered that the discrepancy was an "Administrative error" within the TC organisation.

They have been refunded the £80 they were charged.

Their tickets clearly stated 15kg for the return,but should have read 20kg. But like so many of us, they assumed that the 20kg on the outward flight applied for the home coming journey too, so they didnt look at the return tickets until they were shown the allowance at Dalaman.

So here's a lesson. Look at your tickets and STUDY them before you travel.

Andy and Tracey
andytaj

Advertisement

Postby reesy1959 » 20 Aug 2009 08:53

Good news on getting the refund, darned admin errors :evil:
reesy1959

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.