Sheepy's holiday review May Spring Bank 2009

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

Sheepy's holiday review May Spring Bank 2009

Postby sheepy » 11 Jun 2009 19:59

Well, I thought I'd do a review, others have and I felt left out :lol:

This was our first trip to Icmeler, Turkey is a place I've always wanted to visit, but we've always done Menorca (Which I'd also recommend for families with a short flight, but anyway).
The final push I needed was people at work saying go for it, so into town I went, and booked with just a few days notice.
Wife was delighted and panicky in equal measures, as she usually likes taking her time packing :wink:

Our flight was afternoon (Bit unusual that it seems), and I wonder if this is because it otherwise takes up so much of your day. With a near enough two hour transfer, four hour flight, three hours before your flight to check in - your day just seems to go.

On arriving at a dark Moonlight Apartments, we were greeted and shown to our rooms, even at night, the place looked great.
Daughter and I decided to go out and get something to eat, pizza perhaps, and after walking a bit, found the Pop In. I was amazed by the long wait we had - not realising how food is nearly always prepared fresh. This isn't Pizza Hut you know :P

The next morning, the holiday really started. I opened the curtains, and nearly dropped - the sight of the mountains, covered in trees. Our apartment faced the road at the back, and the view was breathtaking to say the least.

We took ourselves an orientation walk, and stumbled upon Angels restaurant - well as you can probably guess, we were grabbed :lol: We said we really wanted to get into town, but would call back for lunch. Norrie insisted on showing us a short cut to town, and led us through a number of streets - he really didn't need to do that, and was our first taste of just how friendly many people are here.
We called back later, and had one of our best meals at Angels. Norrie there is great, and all the staff remembered our names all week.

So I'm rambling, well I don't want to bore, so I'll be a bit more snappy.

Highlights of the holiday - some of the little things that you might not necessarily do if you just like to flop by the pool or beach. It was finding the old village, seeing chickens run around the streets, the older women in the fields, and kids wanting to practice their English on you.
Finding the bakery near the mosque - and I'd do a bread run here every morning for breakfast on our balcony. Still warm from the oven.
Going to the local market - which many have criticised was just fruit and veg - but wow, the prices were incredible. We bought loads of fruit to have on the balcony, and the melons just don't seem the same here now.

Passing the school, and seeing the kids in their uniform, the boys have blue tops on and the girls pink. How cute.

Our hotel the Moonlight, I would recommend to anyone. It's near the old village, so it's a walk to the centre, but this means its lovely and quiet. Just accept you will be woken up by the mosque sometimes in the early hours....it's culture 8)
Two swimming pools, one seemed quieter than the other, and with more shade. There was none of the towel sunbed reserving nonsense when we were there- but this of course will depend on who is staying at the time.
They do bike hire, but although I wanted to, it was just too hot for me to be riding.

Recommended restaurants -

Villa Contes - perhaps my favourite. The food was incredible, and very very friendly staff. Perhaps a bit pushy I saw to people walking past, but if you do enter, you'll be treated like royalty.

Majestics - even if you don't eat here, it was our favourite place for drinks later, to watch the fish and the entertainment. Staff again great, we even saw a wedding party whilst we were there - the staff really treated them.

Angels - as already said, such a pity it's in a backwater and never seemed to be busy.

Romance Palace - well the food was very acceptable, perhaps not as good as the other restaurants, and...hard to put my finger on this, it lacked atmosphere.

Chefs - possibly the best food we had. It didn't have as "fun" an atmosphere, and I almost felt like I should be dressing up to go here :lol:

We were put off going to a couple of places by the attitude of the staff trying to entice you in, and we'd cross the bridge to avoid Dreamboys by the canal, just couldnt be bothered with the questions and fake disappointment. Pity really, as in a week, you just can't eat everywhere.

We found a lovely backstreet, with some really intimate looking restaurants, but - again - just not the time. It's the street Botanics is on - that doesn't seem to get recommended or mentioned, another reason we didn't try it, but it might have been great.

Oh, and a quick warning about Marmaris market. There are scam merchants there - many traders are good, but have your argumentative attitude ready. One tried filling my bags with stuff I didn't want, then tried physically taking money off me. I sized up to him and he backed down under threats, some people might not be able to do that, just walk away, walk away, pull away if you have to. Don't let this put you off most of the traders here, many are really quiet and let you browse, possibly most are quite assertive and power selling, but hey - you're in an eastern market, feel lucky you're not being offered for a camel (Joke).

Marmaris was worth visiting for the experience, and a bit of different shopping, but even so, many things you might be thinking you can only get in Marmaris, check out the small stalls at the bottom of the canal - and be prepared to haggle with some!

Another top tip - there is a great little supermarket, on the same street as Chef and Love Boat but on the opposite side (You can't miss it). Water bottles (small) 0.35. We bought a massive bottle each evening for the fridge, and filled the small bottles throughout the day. Means I got to do my weight training taking it back to the hotel :P

Overall, I was really impressed - and it takes an awful lot to impress me. The landscape, the "feel" of the place - something you just can't quantify - and especially and above all, the people. Even the smell if the wind is coming just in the right direction off the mountains. Wondeful
As I said when there, "I don't want to go back to Menorca now I've been here"

Very recommended.
sheepy

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews