Just back my holiday review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

Just back my holiday review

Postby smc4761 » 31 May 2009 14:48

Only back a few hours but at least back to glorious sunshine in Glasgow

Getting there

Early morning flight from Glasgow up at 03.30, flight delayed for about 30 minutes, but we made up about 20 of those. Flight with Onur air was fine, no entertainment and you now have to but food on Onur air flights

Arrival

Baggage was quickly picked up and we made our way to our transfer. We had booked a shuttle transfer from airport at a total cost of only £30 return for the both of us. They were waiting outside and we made our way to a 14 seat minibus and were on our way within 35 minutes of landing. No stops and after a few drops in Marmaris we were back in Icmeler to lovely sunshine
I did notice that the road to Icmeler from Marmaris is now even prettier, there are flowers along the central reservation and the road markings are much clearer

Apartments

I have stayed at the apartments before so I had contacted the owner before we arrived and he gave me the room i had requested. 24 aaprtments in the complex of which only about a maximum of 10 were ever occupied. 2 swimming pools plenty of sunbeds and for the first 10 or so no one else used the pools so we had a pool each

On the 2nd day the towels and sheets were changed. The maid had placed the towels in the shape of a love heart and a boat and sprinkled the bed with rose petals. Very romantic thought Mrs smc4761 with a glint in her eye. i had to tell her to go and take a cold shower before she got any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Changes around resort

A few places had closed since we were there in October last year.
Liverpool chippy, Bart Simpsons, Chill bar,Pyramid, Noels, a restaurant next to Moonlight, Chinese restaurant next to Masala. A few barbers shops had also closed along with some shops just along from Noels
At night many of the restaurants were fairly quiet, Captain Bullshit, Titantic,Melissa, Cupids, Set, Friends, Masala, even the Loveboat one night only had about 5 tables in use
others were busy on occasions,Venice, Romance, Peking Palace, Kingsland

Icmeler seemed much more colourful than normal, plenty of flowers in bloom, Marigolds and pansies in particular

Restaurants

We had a few meals in the apartments which was very good, Selam was OK we were the only ones in that night, a bit pricey for some things.Peking was OK but the service was fairly poor, we waited almost 30 minutes for our starters

Our favourite restaurants were in the old village and the prices are also much better there. OZZYS has now moved about 200 meters into the old Guys and Dolls restaurant. Service is outstanding, food is fabulous and the presentation of the food is also excelelnt. Most nights the chef will come around the tables to ensure that people enjoyed there food. he also takes time to explain how he made the food

Just along from OZZYS heading into town about 300 metres away id the MEYZEN. Here the setting is lovely, set in a garden, food is fabulous and the chicken dishes in aprticular are very well priced. They also have entertainment most nights, a couple of guys playing guitar and singing, a guy playing saxapone with a female singer all very quiet background nusic and great service too

Changing money

The rate at the start of the holiday was 2.23 and it eventually rose to 2.38
The highest exchange rate we found was in the BEST supermarket, opposite the Romance where he was giving about 5TL to £100 more thn the exchange rate

Prices

Typical prices ahve not changed too much since October last year
Beer was manily 4tl, cocktails from 6-10tl, local drinks, 5-8tl, chicken dishes, 12-18tl, steak dishes 20-26tl,casseroles 15-22 tl, starters eg soups 5-7 tl, salads 5- 8tl soft drinks, 2.5--4 tl
Our typical bill for 2 starters 2 main course, 2 beers and 2 soft drinks was around 60tl
In the shops, bread was 0.6 from the bakery, milk was 1.8tl, can of coke 1tl, 2 litre of Coke was 2.5tl, cereal 4.5tl. water 1.5 for 5 litres , 0.5 for 500ml
DVD were 8 for £10 the prices of T shirts, towels etc were the same as last year
Water taxi to marmaris was 7.5tl
Boat trips, around 20 tl
jeep safari 25tl
Dolmus to Marmaris 2tl

Marmaris

We walked to Marmaris along the footpath from Icmeler, its a lovely walk and took about 2 hours to the Gima centre. Walked up to the marina as well, drinks were very cheap her typically 3 lirs for a beer 2 for a soft drink
Walked through the bazar with no hassle whatsoever, although this may have been because it was 3pm and the palce was very quiet, more like a shopping mall now

Hassle

Almost non existant even though some places were very quiet. Deja Vu was closed for 1 day I assume due to either hassle or loud music, no other places were closed

Icmeler politics

The 2nd week we were there we went along to the market only to find it almost empty, aprt from the fruit and veg stalls. One of the stall holders advised that due to price increaes for stall space the traders were boycotting the market

Spent most night in the Champion bar, opposte Buffalo bar. A lovely girl there, Rosie looked after us evry night. On the second week we noticed that the beer price had gone up from 3tl for a bottle of EFES, cheapest in Icmeler?? to 4tl on their price list outside. She explained that the council had contacted them and advised that they must charge at least 4tl for beer or they would be fined and eventually closed down. Rosie explained that although the price list showed 4tl they were still charging 3 tl. Cocktails in here were also reduced in 2nd week to 6tl
Many other places were pricing beer at 3.5tl and she advised that if they did not increase prices, the council would fine them then close down

Why Icmeler is special

Afetr a few days in the aprtments Mrs smc4761 asked the owner where she could buy, the clay casserole dishes. he said he knew a palce but it had closed down but he would look into this. We forgot all about this. As we were ready to leave last night he approached us and handed Mrs smc4761, 2 clay casserole dishes as a present and refused to take anything for them. Little touches like that make Turkey a step well above other holiday resorts

Will I go back again?? When do the Aegean flights for next year go on sale

Sorry I have gone on a bit, but it was a great holiday

Stewart
smc4761

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews