October 2015

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

October 2015

Postby Canli » 18 Oct 2015 17:31

Things didn't start off too well for us, with the apartments we'd booked, Selen, deciding 2 weeks before we went that they wanted to put us in the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis instead. Thankfully, John was on hand to sort it out, and we were moved to the Greenmar. Turned out to be a very good move. The first room we had, we had a problem with the lock sticking, so we were moved downstairs the next morning, but other than that, can't fault it. We had hot water almost 24/7, which is a big bonus in Turkey, and the room was cleaned every day, with towels changed almost daily and bedding every three days. We even had plenty of toilet rolls! The staff were friendly and helpful, with no pressure to use the bar. The views from our balcony weren't great - a lot of rubbish down the side of Broadway restaurant - but we spent very little time out there before going out at night, so didn't really matter. Would definitely go back there.
First night, we went to Tandoori Sizzler. We'd been in may and had a really good chinese, so our expectations were high. The meal was good, but the service wasn't. It wasn't busy, but we waited ages, first for a drink, then the meal. When we finished the meal we were offered coffee, which was accompanied by the bill. We sat for a while chatting as we drank our coffee, then got up to go. One member of staff was sitting close by with a couple, the others were just standing around, but no one even said goodnight, which we thought was unusual, and a little rude. It wasn't till much later we realised they never brought us our change. It was only a few lira, but we'd heard some restaurants are making a habit of this now. Ok it's only 50p or so, but it's up to us to decide if we want to leave it.

We tried Sun Blue, which had good reviews. The food was average at best, and the waiter was more interested in chatting to an elderly couple, the only other customers, than asking if we wanted more drinks. When we did get his attention to ask for the bill, he carried on chatting for about 5 mins before coming over to see what we wanted.

The bigest disappointment was Backstage. It gets rave reviews, but what they served us I wouldn't have given my dog. The veg was stone cold and the chicken was very overcooked, with a pile of mushrooms in a watery sauce piled on top. We sent it back. My friend decided to give it another try, but said the only difference was it was hot. I couldn't face it and asked for some lentil soup instead. They didn't have any, so sent out for some, and charged me 15 lira for it. I'd had the same elsewhere for 8 lira.

After that, we decide to stick to our tried and trusted restaurants.

We had several meals, on our own, and with friends, at Romance Palace, and really think they can't be beaten for food and service. It's a shame they don't vary the entertainment though. Every night we went was exactly the same acts and we could predict the play list for the music, but unfortunately that applies everywhere. It gets very boring.

Another place we ate several times was Ida, in the square. The food there is excellent and the service is very good. No dancing waiters, just a nice atmosphere to sit and enjoy a good meal and watch the world go by.

When it comes to Indian food, it has to be Masallah, opposite the Kapmar Hotel. We tried the new Taj Mahal, but still think Masallah is the best. We always eat there at least 2- 3 times and we've never been disappointed.

Finally, I have to mention Cafe Savas, on the beach front. We called in most days for a delicious pancake and coffee and just sat and relaxed and enjoyed the view for an hour, then one morning we decided to go for breakfast on the way to the beach. What can I say? I think one between the two of us would have been enough! Well cooked and beautifully presented. Best breakfast we had the whole holiday.
Canli

Advertisement

Re: October 2015

Postby chezza100 » 19 Oct 2015 09:36

Agree with regards to the Backstage, how it got number 1 on Trip Adviosr is beyond me.

6 of us went there for a meal in early October, the service was arwful, they just didn't want to know us. 2 of us had fajitas and my friend got 2 wraps and I got 3??

Food in general was so-so, theres definitely better in Icmeler.

We did feedback to the staff at the time and nobody seemed bothered which is a pity - we won't be returning next year.
chezza100

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews