Daves 1st Visit 2015 (Longish)

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

Daves 1st Visit 2015 (Longish)

Postby dksbbs » 14 Jun 2015 23:35

Following the passing of my father last year I promised to take my 80 year old mother on holiday this year and show her our favourite place Icmeler. My sister and her husband also decided to join us, this is a quick review of the week we spent in June.
Flights booked last year with Monarch, this is the first time I may have lost out booking the flights early as the price of oil dropped significantly and the average price of the flight was £50 lower at Christmas compared to what I paid, oh well it is always a gamble when you book.
Where we were going to stay was the more difficult decision, due to my mum’s age and problems walking too far or managing too many steps we wanted to be central, she didn’t want to stay in an apartment so a hotel was our final decision, with the fantastic assistance of Mr Toohey we booked the Club Munamar  Beach Resort (Not to be confused with the Munamar Beach or Munamar Residence).

The reviews on trip advisor are not the best but the main issues reported were regarding the food quality, the hotel is All Inclusive and also some people having issues with the fellow Russian guests, however for the price we paid it was a bargain and as we only intended to use it as a base, have a few drinks but always eat out we didn't see it as a problem. Also we read between the lines on the reviews and I must say the hotel was far better than portrayed, more about that later.

1st June, The alarm went off at 02:00 for us to leave at 03:00 for out 06.15am flight, roads were clear and we arrived at the Meet & Greet car park at 03.45, there was a about 8 cars in front of us but we were soon parked up and cases unloaded, my mother, sister and husband arrived a couple of minutes later.

Monarch check-in was quick, no one in the online check-in baggage drop and only about 30 people in the normal check-in queue.

We asked about the arranged assistance for my Mother and were directed to the OCS desk to obtain the wheelchair to assist us through the airport.

Security was quick and it was time to buy the duty free. Gordons Gin was £22 for 2 litres, I know this would be £20 on the Monarch plane so decided to buy there, Silkcut was £63 for 400, I purchased these as no tobacco prices for the flight are available on-line, however I should have waited as they were only £50 on the aircraft. We also purchased perfume for a friends birthday when we get back.
Time for a quick drink and the gate was opened, we were asked to board the plane first with my mother, Seats 5B,C,D,E,F extra leg room is great and well worth the extra money.

All passengers boarded and we were ready to go on time apart from one issue, the fuel truck had only just arrived, we finally left the gate 20 minutes late but this was made up during the flight and we finally arrived 5 minutes early.
Due to the early hour we had pre-ordered breakfast for £8.99 per person, for me it was reasonable value and consisted of Orange Juice, Yoghurt, Bacon, Mushrooms, Sausage, Scambled Eggs, Beans, fresh fruit and a choice of tea or coffee.
Drinks time, I had 2 beers for £7, my wife had 2 Gins for £7 and a mixer at £1.20
Due to the early morning start I then spent most of the remainder of the flight asleep however I woke up for the duty free, this was done slightly differently as a passenger had become ill and was being treated while lying down in the aisle so the trolleys couldn't be used so they came to each row, checked requirements and brought the goods from the galley area. I hope the passenger who was unwell was able to enjoy their holiday, they were seen to by medics on arrival at Dalaman.

We were asked to wait on the aircraft until all other passengers were disembarked, my mother was then collected in a wheelchair, this is where my one and only complaint arises for the journey, my mother was pushed to passport control and then was told to get out of the wheelchair as this was where the service ended, this meant she had to walk to the baggage claim, stand up for 30 minutes while we waited for luggage and then walk to our transfer. I understand that this is not a Monarch issue but I have asked them to express our concern to the airport authorities on our behalf as I deem this unacceptable.
The return journey service was excellent and a wheelchair was provided from check-in to aircraft.
Bags were collect in 30 minutes and we were out of the the airport 45 minutes after touchdown.

ICR transfer driver was waiting for us at the meeting point and we were taken to our vehicle, wow a 14 seater luxury mini bus for the 5 of us, cold water was passed around and we were off.
The journey took just under 1.5 hours and we pulled up at the wrong hotel, not a problem he had the Munamar Beach mixed up with the Munamar Beach Resort, I corrected him and 60 seconds later we were at the right hotel.
First impressions of the hotel reception area was very good, check-in was quick, a safe for the week which is in the room was 35 Lira, we were told we were across the road and we were taken there by a member so staff, first thoughts were where were we being taken, we were at the back of the hotel and initial thoughts were not good, we had requested at least two rooms next to each other and this was the case, the third room on one floor above, we did do a slight switch around so my sister was next to my mother and we went upstairs.

In the end we were happy with the rooms for our needs, we paid a low price and you get what you pay for, we only used the rooms to shower, change and sleep, it also turned out to be very quiet at night, good double glazing, the only noise came from some loud fellow guests returning late at night, early morning who didn't show any consideration but that's not the hotels fault and you get that anywhere.
Talking to some other guests they did upgrade to the other part of the hotel at a cost, so that is possible but the other parts were closer to the road or stage where they did the show so don't expect piece and quiet until midnight.
Rooms were quite small with twin beds however they were very clean, contained a wardrobe with plenty of hanging space and the safe, there was also a couple of shelves in the wardrobe. On one wall there was a dressing table, one end in the cupboard was a fridge which we didn't use and at the other end a large cupboard, there were no draws. The room had air conditioning which worked well, there was no extra charge for the air conditioning. Outside was a very small balcony with two chairs. Bathroom was OK, wash basin, toilet and shower, there was soap and shampoo available, also a high dryer. I must say it was the best most powerful shower I have ever had in Icmeler..
Hotel is split into three areas, the side by the reception which had the Greek bar accessible from the road, a large pool next to the entertainment area, the pool bar and plenty of seating.
Across the road was another area with shops, Gym, Sauna, swimming pool with slide and children’s pool, another pool bar, the dining room and rooms above.
The third area was at the back accessible via a bridge over the dry canal, again a small pool and then rooms.
First impressions of the staff was that they were a bit miserable but I can understand why, the Russian guests were very abrupt and very rude when ordering drinks, you could tell the staff were not happy but completely changed when you were polite, also I have always found when in an AI hotel if you tip early you get treated well which was the case here. After a few tips we noticed that we didn't need to go to the bar they came to us, also the measures became healthier. Overall we received excellent server from the barmen and waiters.
Food wise we ate a couple of breakfasts there, we didn't sample the food during the day or at night so cannot comment on that.
Entertainment wise, again we didn't sample it but they appear to have a kids disco early evening and then some type of show put on my the team, we looked at the board a couple of times and saw that one night was the whirling dervishes, another night was Mr Munamar, I don't know about the other nights.
Last thing the AI is from 09:00 to Midnight.
Final opinion, For our needs it was ideal with location, the price was excellent and I would stay there again under the same basis.

We didn't do any trips this time due to my mothers mobility, Also due to all the pools at the hotel only having ladder style steps into the pool we went to the beach everyday so if my mother wanted to swim she could gently walk into the sea.
The area of the beach we used was in from of the Munamar Baeach club, just over the canal from Cafe Savas, Osman ran the beach with the help of Santiago, the beds were free with thick comfortable mattresses, drinks and food were ordered via the guys and came delivered from Cafe Savas, each night Osman took our towels and they were on the sunbeds the following morning on the water line. He looked after us very well.
Toilets were available for use at the Munamar Beach Residence but ladies take some tissue with you as there wasn't always toilet paper.
On the beach there was a professional masseur, my sister had a full body massage and it lasted 45 minutes, it costs 55TL (£13.75) and my sister said it was wonderful, she also commented that he was very discreet. My mother had a back and arm massage the following day, 30 minutes and 30TL. Her comment was she felt great afterwards.
Most mornings we ate breakfast out, one breakfast was at Yolo but the majority were at Cafe Savas whos does an excellent Turkish and English breakfast.
Night time we always started at the pool bar on the reception side of the hotel for a few drinks before heading out for something to eat.

Night 1 we spent at Vinces, food and service as good as usual we didn't stay out late as we were up very early, we retired to the hotel and had a final nightcap before retiring.

Night 2 The Three(4) bells, the Korean food was excellent, Niall looked after us really well and paid special attention to my mother, at the end of the night he arranged for us to be take back to the hotel.

Night 3 YOLO, Starter was the balloon bread dips, not many restaurants serve this style of bread any more. My wife and sister had the Lamb Shank, my wife said it was still one of the best in town, my mother and brother in law had fillet steak and they were very impressed with the cut of beef and the was it was cooked, I myself had Chicken Fajitas which went down very well. We had plenty of beer, wine, Gins followed by a few daqueries. A very good meal with great service.

Night 4 Majestic, Love the Majestic for their Chinese meal, we had a selection to share between us all and it was very good as usual, a slow stroll along the prom was in order with the odd sit down for my mum, we got back to the hotel about 11:45 in time for one final drink.

Night 5 Winehouse, My wife and I walked round in the afternoon to reserve a table at 8 and organise a pickup from the hotel, in my opinion this was the best meal of the week, we were duly collected at the hotel, the table had been beautifully decorated with flower petals, the hostess is wonderful funny lady and the two waiters were fantastic. Started was mixed mezzi which was out of this world, everything was so fresh and full of flavour. We ordered a mixture of different casseroles which we all enjoyed and my brother in law chose sea bass, he said it was cooked to perfection and the bone lifted out in one only leaving a couple of bones in the flesh. After the meal we were given lifts back by the owner to the hotel.

Night 6 YOLO, my mother wanted the fillet steak again and we all returned, the food and service again was great, this time we didn't stay too late as I wanted to take everyone to the magic garden for a few night caps, it is still one of my favourite bars.

Night 7 Our last night, Three (4) Bells, Back again Another great meal as my mother was tired we returned to the hotel early, my mother retired and we had a few night caps before retiring ourselves.

The last day, a quick breakfast and I popped to YOLO to collect our airport sandwiches, we checked out at 09:15 and our driver was waiting for us, he was due to 09:30 but not an issue with him being early.
Transfer was good to the airport and we arrived before all the coaches so no queue at the entrance for security. Check in was quick. No queues and 5 checkins open, they also organised for the wheel chair for my mother.
Straight through security and passport control and we were take to the gate, my mother was able to keep the wheelchair until we boarded the plane.

For those who smoke the area is still available near gate 24.
My mother was thirsty so 2 small bottles of water was 9TL, a can of Tango was 10TL
Our plane from the UK landed 7 minutes early and we started boarding 30 minutes before departure my mother was boarded first together with my sister and brother-in-law but we weren't allowed through with them, next was the frequent flyers and those who purchased priority boarding, we were then next.

15 minutes before we started boarding a sign was but up that all UK bound flights were going through extra security procedures, all electronic equipment must be able to be powered up, anything that could not be powered up would not be permitted on board. I thought this would apply to everyone but when boarding it was randomly selected people only, I was one of those chosen. I had to show the following worked, 2 Cameras, Mobile Phone, Kindle and Laptop, I was then frisked, I saw someone have there bag swabbed and the swap put into a machine. None of this bothered me they can implement as much security as they want as far a I am concerned.

Finally they also put a box at the boarding gate for checking the size of hand luggage so if the box didn't fit over the luggage it had to be checked in, so make sure your bags are the right size.

This was a great week, my mother wants to return and my sister is hoping to book two weeks in September this year, she is waiting to move house in 4 weeks and will then start looking, for my wife and I we will be back in exactly 7 weeks (Actually 6 weeks today as it took me a week before I wrote the review). I thought the resort was a bit on the quiet side but I have never been this early before, did I see a difference with all the change, not really apart from the nice new retractable roofs and lack of clutter outside the shops.

Apologies for grammar and spelling mistakes I have not proof read what I have written.

Dave

dksbbs

Advertisement

Re: Daves 1st Visit 2015 (Longish)

Postby JT » 15 Jun 2015 11:09

I am still reading as its a long one but want to ask now before I forget

Was it exit seats you had as if your mum was in a wheelchair how did they allow her to be seated there
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby dksbbs » 15 Jun 2015 20:27

JT wrote:I am still reading as its a long one but want to ask now before I forget

Was it exit seats you had as if your mum was in a wheelchair how did they allow her to be seated there

No John, the first 7-8 rows on Monarch aircraft are all classed as extras leg room seats which you can pay a premium for, They are 34-35 seat pitch compared to 28-30 seat pitch. For approximately £50 return extra they are definitely worth it.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby JT » 16 Jun 2015 09:50

Hmm and that is exactly why I do not if I can help it use charter flights to get to Turkey, preferring Turkish Airlines via Istanbul

Free luggage, free food, free drinks tons of hand luggage and comfortable seats without paying a premium for them
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby dksbbs » 16 Jun 2015 12:29

Must admit we thought Turkish Airlines were very good last year, the only draw back is the extra time you need when travelling, however we want to do some more sites in Istanbul in the future so will definately use that route to and from Icmeler, Last time we stopped there at the beginning of our holiday, next time I think we will do it on the way home.

Dave
dksbbs

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews