My review 20 May--3 June

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

My review 20 May--3 June

Postby smc4761 » 04 Jun 2014 17:41

Just back from 2 weeks of mainly glorious sunshine in Icmeler. Temps typically around 33 degrees during the day and about 21 degrees late evening

FLIGHT

I had booked my flights with Easyjet when they first came out in September and flew out from Edinburgh airport. Everything was going smoothly we boarded the plane, everyone was on board and flight was due out 14.10. By 14.20 there were lots of coming and going from dispatch staff and about 10 minutes later we were all told they had mispalced a wheelchair for one of the passengers and they had to find it. After almost an hour is was found and we were on our way.

TRANSFERS

Booked the speedy shuttle with Icmeler on Line who had guaranteed no more than 4 stops. Found the booth for our transfer and we were quickly taken to our minibus which was 14 seater or so with others waiting for us. Transfer took about 2 hours including the 15 minute stop.
On the return home transfer again took 2 hours

APARTMENTS

We had booked the CASTLE apartments this would be our 5th visit there. Apartments are in old village near the Grand Aquarium. I had booked these with Icmeler Online however there was a slight issue with the booking . The views from the apartments are excellent as the apartments are up a slight hill

For the first 4 days there were only us and 2 other couples, however after that the apartments started to fill up. Any other time we have been there have only been about 5 rooms taken, however when we left around 16 rooms had been booked.

The apartments are basic and although some things have improved, eg new shower units and the bar area has been improved the apartments feel like they need a little TLC. They have not really moved with the times. The top bedsheets and curtains are still the same ones as were there when we first went 5 years ago.

The owners however a excellent, very helpful and friendly. Food at bar area is very good and very well priced as were the drinks.

Air con £30 week, deposit box £8 or £15 for 2 weeks

Lots of good points, however next year will try somewhere different

EATING OUT

Ate at a few new places for us this year and a few we have not been to for a few years. met up with Sue and Iain the other DE's and Mark and Helena, their partners at Sidiks. Met them at 8 pm and the next thing we knew it was almost 1 am. Time simply flew in and they were excellent company. The food was also very good

Also ate at Meryem, which was OK nothing special

Tommy's OK nothing special

Wembley OK nothing special

Lovestar, very good, set meal price was only 20 lira, service was excellent and the 2 lads there were attentive but not intrusive. Think we went here about 4 times

Holiday very good, great service and great company, we had met Sue and Mark as well as Alison Eatock and Scott, from Livingston

Went to the dark side one night, eg Marmaris for a meal and it was also very good. The Amore restaurant in Armutalan area. Set meals there were around 19 lira, huge portions proper home cooked chips and the place was spotlessly clean.

Some places in Marmaris were doing a set meal for 16 lira, how they manage at that price I do not know

Also ate at apartments on several occasions which were very good and service was also very good

Lunches were had at the apartment on a couple of occasions. just buying in some bread, salad stuff and a cooked chicken from the shops just past the \Bucket restaurant. Only 10 lira for a cooked chicken and it was delicious.

Also went to Pier 15 , good

a couple of Mert Doner cafes near to the school which were also good

Best of all was KAYRA Pide not far from Wayside. Lovely Turkish Pide, meat and cheese was particularly lovely. Good service and the place is spotlessly clean

A special mention must go to HARRY's STEAKHOUSE, which was by far the worst meal in Icmeler ever, atrocious service. I think it went downhill when we asked for, the "special set meal menu" at £7, all their prices were in English, even the bill!!!!!

The meze and bread took about 20 minutes to arrive, the soup took another 15 minutes but it was lovely. A further 25 minutes or so for the main course. and boy was it not worth the wait. I had ordered the pepper chicken and this brown gloop arrived. I know it was peppered chicken becuase I had ordered it and after much searching finally found about 6 lonely wee whole peppers sitting all alone under a piece of chicken. My wife curry was totally bland and tasteless. The chips were good though.

Finally our 2 individual single pieces of ice cream arrived. Even they could not go wrong with that.

I appreciate that I did not pay a lot for the meal however any other meals I had at around that price eg Love star Wembly were 100 times better and with better service

BARS

Went to TIN TINS a lot as the wife loves their cafe latte. Nice bar with gentle background music and usually very busy both day and night. Also went to Sabris which again is gentle background music.

Went down to canal a few nights and what a difference there. Normally Majestic and Venice would be pumping out music waiters would be dancing away and the palces were usually very full. Now the music was low and lucky if 3/4 full. Even the Bamboo was quieter than normal and less hassle than normal. other normally busy bars like Friends on the square were very quiet. Buffalo bar is normally busy with karaoke but again fairly quiet

ODDS AND SODS

WAlked to Marmaris as usual which is a lovely walk. There are some lovely hotels in Marmaris on the front, just as you enter Marmaris

Went on 2 boat trips the ICR one at 38 lira which was OK. The boat was almost full with around 25 people. Also booked a last minute one on our second last day on impulse, only 27 lira which again was OK but we got to spend a bit more time in Turunc. Boat was a bit busier but music was very low so nice and relaxing. Went swimming and sea was bleedin freezing but refreshing You could also get an all inclusive boat trip for 40 lira

Spent most mornings by the pool before having lunch and a walk around town. Found that some of the shops would let you walk around without hassle. many shops although were not displaying prices

The big discussion on this and other forums are the changes to the entertainment, dancing waiters, Michael Jackson show etc. My own personal opinion is that this is a good thing but appreciate that others do enjoy this entertainment. I do however think that even at this stage some of the bars are being affected eg Venice, Majestic. It will be intersting to watch this as the season goes on

The resort was quiet the first week but did pick in second week. Some bars are doing well Sidiks Holiday Lovestar 3 Bells were busy most night, Hanedan,DejaVu Meryem Sonys Loveboat Chef Friends YOLO all seemed very quiet when we passed

the new square near Tansas is almost complete and will be good once fountains are filled and on display

TYPICAL PRICES

Beer 8

Local drinks 9

chicken set meal 20-26

steak set meal 32--40

5 litre water 2

small bottle water 0.5

latte 7

can of coke 1.5

2 litre coke 2.5

cornflakes 6 lira

milk 2

tomatoes kg 2

potatoes kg 2

cocktails 12

manucure £7

pedicure £9

boat trip 30 lira

jeep safari 45 lira

cooked chicken 10 lira

Exchange rate was 3.42-3.45 although most supermarkets would give 3.44--3.47

AS always DO NOT buy food and drink from Dalaman, McDonalds etc was about £10 for a meal deal, can of coke 9 lira bottle water 4.5

FLIGHT HOME

Picked up at 5pm for our flight home, transfer took about 2 hours. Flight was slightly late taking off but made the time up

Hope you enjoy reading the review and to anyone still to go, approach your holiday with an open mind and make the most of it. You will have worked hard all year for your week/2 weeks in the sun.

Icmeler still has that factor that make many of us return each year. Only time will tell if the mayor is taking Icmeler in the right direction
smc4761

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews