October 2013 Mini review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

October 2013 Mini review

Postby Canli » 20 Oct 2013 13:08

Returned from Icmeler last week, and I'm not going to do an indepth review, but did make a few notes about various places we went, some good, some not so good.

We flew with Turkish Airlines from Birmingham to Istanbul, then Istanbul to Dalaman. I'll never fly TC or Thomson again! What a difference. Loads of room, comfy seats, in flight entertainment if you want it, a nice meal on the 4hr flight and a snack on the short flight, and very pleasant crew. And it was cheaper than the others. Transfer at Ataturk was a bit of a walk, but plenty time and moving walkways if you want them.

We booked a shuttle transfer with ICR, and it was very good, except for the 2 women who sat in the front seats with the driver and shouted, swore, kept turning the radio up very loud and waving their arms about like maniacs, distracting the driver and annoying everyone else on the minibus, but that was nothing to do with ICR or the transfer company. Personally I'd have told them to get in the back and shut up, or get out.

We stayed at the Imperial Apartments which we liked very much. The carpets needed a good clean, or removed altogether, and the bath was a bit stained, but otherwise it was clean, and the maid came every day. We had clean towels and sheets every other day, and never had to buy a toilet roll! The rooms were big, with plenty of cupboard space, with a safe box in one, and the beds were comfy. The staff were lovely. We had many a late night chat with them. My only concern was security. All the keys were left at reception, which was often unmanned and only a few steps from the road. We always took our key out with us. Being on the main road and opposite a very busy 24 hr shop, it could be a little noisy at night, but it wasn't too bad.

I was unlucky enough to need a trip to see Dr Murat at the Medline Clinic as I got stung by a wasp and I'm allergic to them. He is a lovely man, and very good at giving injections! I hardly felt a thing. He offered to get a driver to take me back to my apartment, but it was only over the road. They sorted out all the insurance for me, called the insurers while I was there and got a reference number so I didn't have to pay then claim anything back.

Restaurants

Charlie's Place
: We ate there several times and were never disappointed. The food is good, as is the service, and there's no loud music or dancing waiters. Charlie himself provides the entertainment, although he doesn't realise it sometimes.

Yolo
: Breakfast very good, but my friend was very disappointed with her steak at night. Twice it was sent back as it wasn't cooked, so she had the same chicken dish that I had instead and it was very nice. Nice place to sit and watch the world go by with a nice cold efes.

Rush Bar: Went for breakfast and were very disappointed. The eggs weren't cooked, so we sent it back and all they did was stick it under the grill, so the eggs were cooked, but everything else was overcooked. Not good. We had planned on going back for dinner, but decided against it.

Champagne: Had lunch there one day and it was ok. Nothing special.

Love Star
: Dinner there one night, which was nice, but again, nothing special. I'm sure the food was better in may. Chris and his staff are very nice though.

Masallah - Taste of Asia: Had dinner here twice. I don't think you can beat them for curries. Both nights we went it was very busy, with some people coming back for the second or third time.

Three (4) Bells
: One of the best meals we had. We chose one of the Korean dishes and it was exceptional. Will certainly be going back there.

Bonjour
: The chicken with shrimp sauce was very nice, but I felt the same dish in Bamboo was much tastier. More shrimps and very creamy. Service was very good, and we had several cups of coffee on the house while chatting to Berdan.

Bamboo
: Love the food in here. Tried several different dishes and they were all cooked to perfection. Love the staff too, all good fun and very friendly. The only downside was the last night we were there they turned the music up full blast just after we'd eaten and it was so loud it actually hurt our ears. It's always loud after 10pm, but this was horrendous. We went outside to finish our drinks because it was unbearable. Even when they turned it down a bit my ears were still ringing. There was only about 12 people in, and they cleared the bar in 10 mins. They apologised and said it was someone who didn't work there who was responsible, but it spoilt a good night.

Savas Cafe Anne: We don't usually pass this part of the beach, but did one morning and decided to call in for pancakes and coffee. They were delicious! It was nice to sit there in the sun, with soothing music playing in the background, and watch the world go by. We made it a regular morning break on the way to the beach.

A couple of other places I'd like to mention:

Latina Jewellers : We both had repair work done by them and were very pleased with the results. Lovely australian lady called Linda is front of shop, and her partner Atilla does all the work there in the shop. Very reasonable prices, much cheaper than at home.

Captain Zaza Tours
: We don't do trips, but always go to Zaza to book our turkish bath. Nice guy, won't rip you off. He's opposite the Dream 3 Bells, next to a hairdressers.

Finally the transfer back. Arrived on time at 2am. It was much more peaceful, as only us and two turkish guys on the bus. We were going via Istanbul so had to go to the Domestic terminal. Last time, we had to walk from International at 5am, but we asked the driver if he could drop us at the bottom of the hill, and he took us right to the door. Very good, careful, driver, well dressed and polite. Hope we have him next time.
Canli

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews