Our holiday 21 May--4 June longish review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

Our holiday 21 May--4 June longish review

Postby smc4761 » 04 Jun 2011 20:53

Where to start after another good holiday in Icmeler

Travelling there
Got to Glasgow airport to find we had a 2 hour delay, not a good start. This was due to the aircraft coming from dalaman developing a problem just before take off. Flight with Onur air was fine bu even the food and drink prices on the plane nowadays are a bit of a rip off, £2.50 for small can of coke £3 for a small beer. At dalaman got through the Visa section quickly but the passport control was a shambles. 2 or 3 flights had arrived about same time yet initially only 2 passport desks open and the guys were very thorough/slow at processing. Got casesquickly and out to our transfer. Booked a shuttle bus with xxxx which we quickly found. Transfer was in a people carrier with only 2 other couples all going to Icmeler. Did the 10 minute stop but got to Icmeler and in our apartments in under 2 hours

first night went to Sidik family restaurant. Food was fine but I left mrs smc4761 to get the bill as i wentto loo. She paid and we left shortly after. Iasked her how much the bill was and she advised. We had ordered the set menu at 18 lira however they had charged for starter and main course. So ripped off for about 10 lira. If I get ripped off I simply do not go back, their loss.

Mrs smc4761 has to have her pedicure and manicure; she goes to the one next to Wayside which she advises was the best 2 hours or so of her holiday

Out and about

Over the 2 weeks the resort was fairly quiet a few places had closed and a few new ones open. the new front looked very ggod I though much wider and new paving all the way round to past the Golmar. No sign of any Sedgeways and very few scooters etc. Overall I think it is big improvement. Unlike the canal area which just looks very bare and rundown. Even the restuarants there look like they are suffering. Walked past Venice about 11 pm most nights and it was busy but you could always get a seat, this was also the same in Dreamboys although that was even queiter.

Restaurants

Spent many a night in the Tandoori Sizzler and had some beautiful meaks there. Their set menu at 19.75 lira was very good if ever so slightly more expensive than some set menus. But the quality of food the service made it worthwhile

Cupids and captain Bullshits were the other places we went to and their set menu was on 16.99 lira abd the food and service at both was also very good. If you cannot find a place with a set menu although may do Mandalin Titanic Melissa etc chicken dishes are good value at typically 16 lira but the steak meals are comparitively higher. Wayside Bonjour Loveboat steaks are about 32 lira

The Sizzler was very busy most nights and I would imagine in high season you may have to book. Many restaurants were very quiet especially in the village area. Ozzys has now closed and he has moved to the Babadan neat to Captain Bullshits. IN Ozzys old place its now Ginos place and it was quiet as was Lal both of which had been busy last year.

Drinks

In most restaurants beer was 5 lira and soft drinks about 4 lira however in the Sizzler with your ICR card it was only 3 lira for beer and 2.5 lira for soft drinks. Walked past he Buffalo var a few times and that was usually busy however with beer at 2.5 lira a pint its obvious why. Champion bar has also changed owners and they were selling beer at 3 lira and local spirit and mixer at 5 lira

Spent most nights after our meal in either Sabri bar and this year I also found Eddies bar. Eddies is particularly good for a quiet drink and some gentle music and a good palce to chill out

This was the worst holiday for weather in all my years going to Turkey. The first 4 days were fine followed by 2 days of thunder and lightning plenty of rain and plenty of cloud cover and a further 3 days of fairly wet and miserable weather. The last 3 days werefine

Our apartments in the old village non ICR were very quiet only 5 rooms out of 22 occupied the first week and for the next 4 days only us and another couple were there.The aprtments next door was also very quiet

Lunchtimes were spent either in the apartmnt with delicious bread from the bakery along with veg from market which was very very cheap. Had a few nice lunches at Erdem and my own favourite pier 15 next door. The Kayra pide near to the Wayside was also very good

Special mention to our favourite palce for and afternoon drinkypoo goes to Timothys cafe where the old Pop Inn used to be. Mrs smc4761 loves her coffee and she said their capucciono were even better than Starbucks/ Costa. Oh did I mention that beer was only 2.99 a pint as well. The toilets were also immaculate in here

Exchange rate was good in the resort varying from 2.52 to 2.60, just watch you dont get ripped off. Went to one of the exchange places near to Set restaurant who were offering 2.60. When I asked how much for £100 he advised 250 lira. When I mentioned it was 2.60 outside he asked a fellow worker and suddenly I got 2.60

All too soon the 2 weeks had flown in and it was time to go home. The transfer back was even better as we were the only ones on the 14 seater mini bus so a great transfer back all for only £28 return for both of us

The flight back to Glasgow was an early morning flight at 06.00 and was on time.

Word of warning about luggage. Both Glasgow and Dalaman were very srict on weight and people were being charged for cases being overweight. They also checked your hand luggage and if overweight, no more than 5 kg you were also being charged at both airports. A special well done to Mrs smc4761 for finally only having 13.5 kg in her case this year. a new record for her

Enjoy your holidays people and dont forget to do a review to helpothers
smc4761

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews