29th April - 6th May 2011

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

29th April - 6th May 2011

Postby sandybeach » 07 May 2011 15:15

Date of Travel 29/04/11 - 06 / 05 / 11 Mersoy Exclusive

Journey to the Airport- Bournemouth
Was really looking forward to my holiday and had hoped I had to remember all the essentials. I was leaving my car for the duration of my holiday (one week) at Bournemouth airport and I had forgot to book on line earlier in the week for the quoted cost of £29.99 so tried to book it by telephone, only to be told after a lengthy wait that you could not do it on the day. OK no problem I just thought I would have to pay a little more unfortunately the actual cost was £70 so please note for the future any other travellers using the car park at Bournemouth.
At the Airport
I was travelling alone but started to chat at the queue for the check in to a couple who was also going to Icmeler for the first time who informed me they was staying at the Marti, I told them that Icmeler was beautiful and that the Marti was a lovely hotel and that I was sure that they would enjoy their holiday. The husband informed me that it had better live up to its name or he would be complaining and that he had done so frequently in the past and received various amounts of compensation. He then informed me that he was looking for his rep “because it said on his tickets that he had Priority check in but there was not a priority check in desk at Bournemouth and although he had not paid for the priority check in he wanted to complain about it”. I started to get the feeling that this man did not want to enjoy his holiday and it was more about finding faults with his holiday and battling with his travel agent.
Check in at Bournemouth was quick and efficient, so after check in I went to the smoking area outside of the airport. It was a beautiful day and I was sitting on the grasses enjoying the sunshine when I saw a couple of familiar faces approaching, “Sue and Ken Prior” that had been visiting UK and were now returning to their home in Icmeler. Then joined by another lady travelling alone also from the Portsmouth area and with a couple of vodkas each the party was well on its way before we had got on the plane.
It was now time to go to the boarding gate and we made our way through, however the clear plastic bags that are given freely for liquid items at Gatwick have to be purchased at Bournemouth from a machine at a charge of £1.
Had a quick shop in duty free purchased two bottles of Russian standard for £18.
Went to the restaurant and purchased a small bowl of chips and a double rum and coke and a double vodka and lemonade for £15.00
Welcomed the fact that after check in and passport control there was another smoking area so it was good to be able to have that last cigarette before getting on the plane.
The plane took off on time at 17:40 the plane was full and it was a good flight the only bad thing about it was I had a child behind me who was constantly kicking my seat who I had to keep reminding “Do not kick my seat please!”

The Flight

The plane took off on time at 17:40 the plane was full and it was a good flight the only bad thing about it was I had a child behind me who was constantly kicking my seat who I had to keep reminding “Do not kick my seat please!”
Unfortunately as the Portsmouth clan had all checked in separately, we was seated in different areas of the plane.
Arrival at Dalaman

Disembarked the plane ok, visa control was fine and the queues were not too long. Baggage collection was really
Stepped out of the airport starting looking for my transfer (Not booked with ICR) and after asking at all the desks I discovered I was not on any of their lists and if you have not pre-booked they will not let you on any of the buses going to the resorts. Enquired about a taxi and was told it was £65 to Icmeler; I walked away and said I would phone a friend to collect me and he knocked it down to £55. At 3am and travelling alone, I decided it was the best thing to do.
Transfer to Icmeler

No stops in the taxi although he did ask if I wanted a comfort break

Arriving at Icmeler

It was still dark when I arrived in Icmeler apart from one man walking his two dogs drinking a bottle of Efes at 4am who welcomed me to Icmeler!

Mersoy Exclusive

Check in at the Mersoy was quick and efficient and I was given a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the prestige oylum which was fine for me as I like to people watch.
The decoration of the room was very modern and clean and spacious.
Very nice bathroom with a good powerful shower and a plug for the bath.
At this time of year the air condition was not needed however I did need a blanket as I was quite cold the first night and after informing reception the blanket was supplied within an hour of my request.
Room was cleaned daily and towels also changed daily, sheets were changed twice. I was very happy with my stay here and would definitely visit again.
The receptionist Ayesur and the operations manager Yasemin are excellent and cannot do enough to make you stay as enjoyable as possible. Yasemin even arranged for a parcel I need to place with a courier to be delivered to Samsun and knocked him down in price from 25 Lira to 7 Lira because the Mersoy uses the company a lot. (In the UK the price I had been quoted was £56 to be delivered in 5 days by airmail). The parcel was collected on Saturday afternoon and delivered to Samsun on Monday afternoon.

Places I ate and drank
Venice bar – Popped in for one drink but it was really quiet and not entertainment also informed by one of the guys that Iso (male belly dancer) would not be performing at the Venice. This used to be one of my favourite bars.
Irish bar – After leaving the Venice popped in for a quick drink here and Iso was performing, staff very friendly and it was not a problem when we complained that the coke we ordered was flat, it was changed immediately but sadly this was also flat.
Casa Blanca-Popped in here one day to visit a friend who was working here and had a few drinks. Really beautiful hotel, however there is a price to pay for such beauty and for 3 small draught Efes, 2 wines and 1 small coke the price was 47.5 Lira!
Vince’s Bar – Had a fillet steak in here with rice chips and vegetables and a couple of Efes total was 33 TL. Nice restaurant, nice food and nice people. While I was waiting for my meal a group of 4 from England was leaving to go to the Havana bar who kindly invited me along but alas I could not as I was meeting a friend later in the afternoon, but they looked like a lot of fun and I wish I could have joined them.
Champagne Bar – Ate here a couple of times and the food was always served to perfection. The steaks here are to die for, honestly I have eaten steaks in most of the steak restaurants in Icmeler and these are the best.
Florida Bar – I was going to have breakfast here one morning but changed my mind as the owner who was taking me to my table was so rude and ignorant, I told him to forget it before I sat down. I have been to this restaurant before and I have always been happy with the service and the food but on this particular day he was so rude maybe he was having a bad day but I was not about to have a bad day and left the restaurant.
Blue Fox –Went here for breakfast after leaving the Florida where I was served a beautiful full English breakfast even though I had only ordered poached egg on toast. I told them it was not a problem but still cooked me my poached eggs. I am trying to diet at the moment so there is no way I was going to east 2 fried egg on toast , 2 fried tomatoes, 6 mushrooms, 6 round workman’s chips,, beans, 1 sausage and 1 slice of bacon.

Thought on Icmeler
I have never been to Icmeler this early on in the year and I found it really nice and would definitely think about visiting early in the season again.
I did not go to the beach or go on any boat trips this year as it was only really a 6 day holiday but did have the Turkish bath and the manicure and pedicure.
Met up with old friends from the Senem apartments Nihat and Fikret, the loveable rogue Mehmet who is still at the Melissa his nephew Ismail has gone to Bodrum this year for the season, Musty from the Sempati restaurant and Maria who is now working at the Sahin Palace. I had a brilliant 6 days in Icmeler just wished I had for booked for 2 weeks instead of one.
Dropped a small bag of items off for the Icmeler Dogs and Cats home and left it with one of the lads at the Tandoori Sizzler as the ICR offices was not open it was only 08:30 and my pick up was at 9. Also included one item for John which I know he will love.

Return transfer
The lovely lad who is operations manager Yasemin (sp) and the receptionist Ayesur (sp) kindly arranged for a transfer with a well know company and this was comfortable and on time

Dalaman
Dalaman still very expensive a tin of Efes is 12Lira and the prices in KFC and Maccy Dees is about 25 Lira.
Finally done it I have not run up an excess luggage allowance at Dalaman, my case weighed in at 18.7kg, Hoorah I have finally done it and I did buy 3 pairs of jeans, 2 t-shirts and 2 sweatshirts.

Flight home
Flight was one hour late and no information was given by the front desk the reason for the delay but another traveller had asked a rep and it was because there wasn’t a crew! (The flight was with T***** C***)
Landed at Bournemouth at about 18:15 about 2 ½ hours late and while waiting for my luggage, I met the couple who I had chatted to at check in, on enquiring about the holiday the husband was clearly very excited and happy as he explained that “No he had not enjoyed his holiday, as there was work going on in the room next to him and the final nail was the flight being delayed” He was going to complain immediately. I felt very sorry for the man that he is unable to enjoy a holiday and the only enjoyment he seems to get is complaining about them! Mind you I feel even sorrier for the poor travel agent who has to deal with him.

Journey from airport home
Drove my new friend home that I had met in the airport and arrived back in Portsmouth at about 8pm.

What I did next
Now looking at booking the next holiday I was thinking of going to somewhere different, but why re-invent the wheel! Two loads of washing completed and now drying on the line, just waiting to be ironed and packed ready for my next holiday to Icmeler.
sandybeach

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews