L'Etoile hotel, Icmeler 8-22 October 2010

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

L'Etoile hotel, Icmeler 8-22 October 2010

Postby Susi1962 » 26 Oct 2010 16:59

Here goes for my first review!

I left Glasgow airport on Friday 8th October and stayed at the L’Etoile. I had an uneventful journey – driving to my friend’s house, as she lives near the airport and usually gives me a lift to and from which takes a lot of the stress out of travelling. Travelling solo again which was more of a challenge this year as I’m still recovering from a severely broken/dislocated (yes, I did both) wrist. The airline staff were excellent and I had assistance from a nice young man at Dalaman who wheeled my hand luggage and suitcase to the front of Visa and Passport control and marched me out to the coach. To anyone who might have been there and glared at me (and a few did) – yes, I needed the help because I’m in pain and can’t lift a suitcase and no, I didn’t ask to jump the queue (although to be fair they make you wait while everyone else gets off the plane so there’s no chance to get there quickly under your own steam)

Anyway I digress. The flight there was fine. I went with T.C. and they did cram us in. I’m only 5’ 3” so heaven knows how tall people manage. I’d pre-booked the seats and was glad of it as check-in was really busy before I got there and my chances of a good seat (ie one where my bad side won’t get thumped by trolleys and passing toddlers LOL)

I managed to doze on the plane courtesy of two glasses of wine and got to the hotel feeling only slightly zombified – which is a great improvement on the usual!

The transfer was excellent! A minibus and only nine of us in it. We stopped at the usual place but literally only for 10 minutes and got straight back en route. I was the third drop off which makes a nice change and checked into the hotel with the minimum of fuss at 5.00 am

Rather than nap, I unpacked my things and then met my friends (travelling in from a different airport) for breakfast and then we set off to Marmaris for a Turkish bath, lunch and a Tansas trip. The holiday just wouldn’t be the same without those little rituals eh? I always have to hit Tansas on the first day – I’m not a light packer and why drag umpteen bottles of shampoo, etc, when the suitcase space could go to better things like shoes?!

The hotel was AI so I didn’t eat out all that often. I spend a lot of the time in Marmaris for the craic so usually have lunch there in a local cafe or – when it rains and, boy, did it rain this time! – in the hotel. Ate one night at the Harmony’s sister bar – can’t remember the name (sorry) but they laid on a taxi to get us there and back and the food was excellent. Will update when I remember the name of the place! Also ate at Cupid’s on my last night – wished I’d done it before as I loved their garlic steak. The meze was good but there just wasn’t enough of it!
Icmeler seemed much as usual, maybe a little quieter? Enjoyed walking along the canal and – yet again – planned to walk into the old village but never made it. There’s a girl selling stained glass window panels (painted, not real stained glass) on the seafront just near the beach entrance from the Aqua – they looked lovely but by the time I came across her, I’d already gone through my souvenir money. Hopefully next year ..

Did a couple of trips – an excellent AI boat trip which I do every year. Sadly this year, the engine conked out after 20 mins or so and we had to be rescued by a guy in a tiny motorboat who firstly came onboard to help fix it and when that didn’t work towed us to a jetty. After that the trip continued and the food, as always was excellent. Also spent a day in Akiaka (sp?) and in Turunc. Didn’t see much of Turunc as the rain bucketed down but I got a pedicure, eyebrow threading and my hair tinted! No, I wasn’t THAT bored!! I’d made friends with a lovely lady called Habebe whose husband is one of the owners of Tony’s Jewellery. She works in a hairdressers in Turunc and did a great job for me. We came back down the mountain in the worker’s bus at the end of the day. It was actually great fun although a little hair-raising as the driver barely got past 35 mph and we kept being overtaken on the (many) hairpin bends!! I’d love to have a day in Turunc when it wasn’t raining and also go back to Ackiaka, which was lovely.

Coming home was more of a problem. The Glasgow flight was delayed by two+ hours. Dalaman at night and no-one to keep an eye on my handbag. I sat bolt upright on a bench and eventually had to fork over the 4 lira the bandits were asking for a tiny bottle of water. It seems the previous flight had been delayed and the return journey they’d had to stop to put a passenger off!! Anyway as a result I was exhausted and managed to sleep on the plane for the first time in years.

Overall it was a good holiday and I can’t wait to go back next year!
Susi1962

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews