dksbbs 2010 Holiday Review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

dksbbs 2010 Holiday Review

Postby dksbbs » 23 Aug 2010 17:29

Dave’s very long Review

30-07-10 to 16-08-10 Moonlight Apartments

Myself (46), wife (41), daughter 1 (17) and daughter 2 (14)

We also travelled with another family of friends, Husband, Wife and Son (10)

Thursday morning my wife took the dogs to the kennels for their holiday and returned home and started cleaning the house from top to bottom, why? Is she making sure that it is clean in case we are subject to a burglary while away? I just stayed out of her way as I was working from home for the morning.

Late afternoon it was time to pack, we did this together with my daughter ticking off the items from the list. Due to the decrease in luggage allowance this year to 15Kg we had changed our suitcases for holdalls saving 6Kg in luggage weight, but we were still surprised how much we could get in these and even more surprised when we had finished packing that they only weighed 47Kg for the four of us so 13Kg underweight, had we forgotten something, the list informed us we hadn’t but we would have to wait and see.

Our final evening meal in the UK was from the local Chinese takeaway and at 11:00 we were all tucked up in bed for our last sleep.

The alarm clock went off at 05:00 and we got ready for our 6am pick up by my father-in-law. Again like previous years the roads were clear to the airport and we arrived early at Manchester airport.

The Airport

Again we were flying with Onur air which is downstairs in terminal 2, in my opinion this year they have gone backwards in their checking procedure, last year they had improved the check in procedure with an organised queuing system where the people at the front of the queue went to the first desk of five that came available, this year it was back to normal with a queue for each desk and the queue to join these queues eventually must have reached over a 100 metres long and trailed through the terminal past the meeting point for the arrivals.

I rang our friends who were on the same booking and they had not yet left home so we decided to see if we could check-in anyway, We queued for 45 minutes and finally reached our check-in desk, our flight had yet to open but the agent telephoned through for us and asked for it to be opened, we also explained that the other family had yet to arrive and could we check in separately, this was no problem as long as the other family had a copy of the ticket which they did.

Once checked in we saw our friends who were halfway down the snaking queue, we waited for them to check in which again was about 45 minutes.

Finally we went through to airside, security was quick and efficient but it was strange that every woman in our group set off the scanners and had to go into the photobox where they raise their arms for the x-ray picture to be taken, all the men went through without a hitch.

At duty free we purchased 2 Litres of Gordons gin for £16 and a litre of Tia Maria for £13.99

Off to the bar and a couple of drinks, I know it was early but hey I am holiday.

Finally before the gate was due to be called I shot down to gate 300 where the smoking area is to have a couple of cigarettes, once I returned the gate was announced and we all trooped off to board, this was done efficiently and by seat row numbers.

It was obvious that people were being charged for hold luggage this year as many had the small cases that can be stored in the cabin so storage space this time was more restricted but no issues.

All passengers seated, the doors were closed and we pushed back about 30 minutes late.

The Flight

Like previous years we were on an Airbus A321, as we taxied out the safety briefing was shown on the drop down TV screens.

Once at the runway the brakes were released, the engine’s thrust accelerated us down the runway and 39 seconds later the nose wheel lifted off the tarmac, a few weeks before I was on a Monarch flight from Barcelona, again an Airbus A321 which was about 70% full and that also took 39 seconds, the reason I had timed that flight was due to the fact I thought it took a long time to takeoff on the Manchester-Barclona leg of the journey so was just performing some comparisons.

Seatbelts were soon turned off and the drinks service was begun, the crew at the front was so slow, it took them over an hour to serve the first 15 rows, the crew coming from the back did rows 38-16 in the same time, by the time they reached us they had ran out of most drink, one beer left, one sprite, no shorts, no white wine etc. Prices were high £3 for Efes and £4 for sprite.

Duty free then started , £38 for 400 Silkcut, much cheaper than at Manchester airport.

During the flight the screen remained dropped down showing the route and progress on a map. I always find that interesting to see the route we are taking.

This year I was fortunate that myself and my long legged daughter had managed to obtain exits seats with my wife and younger daughter sitting behind us next to JayJay1950 from the forum so no issues with others reclining their seat on me.

During the flight the seatbelt sign went on for about 20 minutes as we went over Austria there was some light turbulence.

Also during the flight the front toilet became blocked but the cabin crew did manage to clear it and the toilet was operational again.

Before we knew it we were descending into Dalaman, we landed about 20 minutes late.

Dalaman Airport

We quickly disembarked at the end of the terminal, the queue at the Visa Desk was minimal, no thermal camera this year for the swine flu and passport control was quick and efficient It took about 10 minutes for the luggage to start coming off the belt and ours seemed to take ages but we were not last.

Transfer (None ICR)

This year you have to go down the ramp to the meeting area for the reps and transfer drivers, we found JayJay1950’s and confirmed he was only there for them (We were staying at the same apartments) but there was no sign of ours, I made a call to our apartments to inform them and was asked to call back in 5 minutes which I did, I was asked where we were as the driver had said he had been looking for us, I confirmed we were at the meeting point with all the other drivers and had been so for 20 minutes, I described what we wearing and was told to wait there, 5 minutes later a minibus pulls into the car park and it was our driver, so much for looking for us he wasn’t even there, if we had landed on time we would have been hanging around for about 40 minutes, no matter we were on our way to Icmeler, The driver was good, didn’t speed and we all felt safe and the journey was just over 90 minutes.

Arriving at Icmeler

As last year coming over the last crest the view of Marmaris appeared below us we knew we would soon be in Icmeler, I was looking forward to see all the changes reported over the Winter but the first thing I noticed was that many of the roads had been block paved and the terrible tarmac had gone.

We pulled up at our apartments, disembarked and quickly checked in, the staff we have met over the years greeted us and took our cases to our rooms before we went to the bar for our first drink in Icmeler. That first pint of Efes tasted so good.

Accommodation

I won’t review the Moonlight apartments here as they are not with ICR

Places you ate and drank

On returning to the apartments each night I made a note of what we had and how much we paid.

Friday 30th July – Harry Rams (Something quick and easy after a long day)

2 * Garlic Mushrooms to share between four (Free)
4 * Chicken Strips & Chips
1 * Mushy Peas (Free)
1 * Gravy (Free)
2 * Large Efes
2 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Large Fanta Orange
1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 60 Lira + Tip

Saturday 31st July – Deniz Kapisi (Karaoke Competition)

Free Cheesy Bread and dips
1 * Penne con Pollo
1 * Chicken Breast
1 * Chicken Skewer
1 * Chicken Mushroom
3 * Large Beers
3 * Gin & Sprites
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 129 Lira + Tip

Overcharged by 2 lira which I informed the waiter had been deducted from their tip, apparently there was a chicken special which we did not take advantage of but they charged us anyway so instead of two chicken dishes being 19 lira each they charged 20 each. I know it’s only a small amount but it is the principle and told the waiter to take it up with the cashier if he wanted the 2 lira back as part of the tip.

Sunday 1st August – Three (4) Bells (Youngest daughter insists every Sunday)

2 * Sunday Roast Beef
1 * Sunday Roast Chicken
1 * Yam Yam Chicken
2 * Large Beers
2 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Fanta Orange + 1 * Large Fanta Orange
1 * Sprite + 1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 125 Lira + Tip

We booked earlier in the day and when we arrived the table was ready, the food and service was excellent, it’s always nice to be welcomed back and recognised, unfortunately even though it was 8.15pm they had had a rush on the lamb earlier and there was none left. Still not managed to finish one of their Yorkshire puddings, they are just too big.

Monday 2nd August – Ozzys

Free bread and mezi
1 * Spagetti Bolognaise
1 * Bacon Egg & Chips
1 * Chicken Bagette
1 * Chicken Breast
1 * Large Beers
1 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Large Fanta Orange
1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 77 Lira + Tip

Having been on a boat trip all day we were all tired, also I think the early start on Friday had eventually caught up with us so we only wanted something quick and light, this suited us perfectly and we were back in the apartments in 90 minutes for a couple of drinks and an early night.

Tuesday 3rd August – Vinces

1 * Mezi, Any Soup and any Chicken Dish special (17 Lira per person)
2 * Large Beers
2 * Gin & Sprites
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 116 Lira + Tip

We went to Vince’s and enjoyed the meals last year, again we were not disappointed, my chicken soup and daughters had to be returned to be warmed up but not an issue, it was returned piping hot.

Someone else had these and said they were wonderful.

Wednesday 4th August – Majestic

Free bread and mezi
1 * Chicken Chow Mein
1 * Grilled Chicken
2 * Menu B (Soup, Springroll, Beef & Mushroom)
2 * Large Beers
2 * Gin & Sprites
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 115 Lira + Tip

Excellent service, Good value for money, we all thought our food was over seasoned with salt but it was still nice, didn’t stay for the entertainment as my wife has a problem with flashing lights and strobes but we did go for a nice walk along the beach.

Thursday 5th August – Turkish Night at Apartments

4 * Turkish Mezi, (Large plate full each)
4 * BBQ

Total Bill 100 Lira

I haven’t included our drinks as these went on the room tab.

The entertainment included Break Dancing, Belly Dancer and Traditional Turkish dancing as well as a few party games and dancing to the current popular tunes.

Friday 6th August – Harry Rams

1 * Garlic Mushrooms to share between two (Free)
1 * Fish Cake and Chips
3 * Chicken Strips & Chips
1 * Mushy Peas (Free)
1 * Gravy (Free)
1 * Large Efes
1 * Gin & Sprites
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 60 Lira + Tip

We had been on the jeep safari all day and after these trips we normally just want some quick and cheap, Typhoon has never failed to provide this for us.

Saturday 7th August – Deniz Kapisi

1 * Chicken Diane
1 * Chicken Breast
2 * Penne al Tonno
4 * Large Efes
4 * Gin & Sprites
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 130 Lira + Tip

Meal was good, my friend claimed first prize and I ended up being Michael Jackson’s body guard.

Sunday 8th August – Three (4) Bells

1 * Sunday Roast Beef
1 * Sunday Roast Lamb
1 * Yam Yam Chicken
1 * No 5 off the Korean menu (Hot and Spicy)
1 * Large Beers
1 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Sprite + 1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 120 Lira + Tip

We hadn’t booked today but went earlier as the wife wanted the lamb dinner, we obtained a table straight away and we all enjoyed the food, I can’t remember the name of my dish.

Monday 9th August – Yorkshire Lass Restaurant (Captain Bullsh#ts)

Mezi and bread for starters
1 * Scezuan Beef, Garlic and hot sauce
2 * Chicken Chow Mein
1 * Chicken Breast
2 * Large Beers
2 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 111 Lira + Tip

For the first year in 2009 we hadn’t found time to eat at this restaurant so this was a mistake we had to rectify in 2010, we had gone the previous week but they were full, while at the Three bells the previous night I popped across the road to book a table for 7, Dr Jimmy recognised me immediately and promised me a table for 7 between 20:00 and 20:15, we arrived at 20:15 and our table was ready and we were welcomed back like royalty, Captain Bull immediately spotted us and came over for a natter. As always the food was excellent, our friends asked for Noodles instead of rice for their dish and this was not a problem and no extra charge.

Tuesday 10th August – Harmony Bar

1 * Fettuccini con Pollo
2 * Penne al Tonno
1 * Chicken Snitzel
1 * Cheese Cake
5 * Large Beers (6 Lira Each)
2 * Large Fanta Orange (7 Lira Each)
2 * Large Sprite (7 Lira Each)
1 * Small Sprite
1 * Bottle of White Wine (31 Lira)

Total Bill 174 Lira + Tip

We love the Stella show but when we originally heard that there was a 15 Lira entrance charge we were going to give this a miss, however thanks to a forum member it was clarified that if you eat there was no charge so we booked a table the previous Saturday for 14 people, this included our party of 7 and two families we had met at our apartments.

The food was good apart from the cheese cake, they had forgotten the cheese element and it was basically just cream. Drinks expensive but then you are getting a show and £75 for a night our for a family of four is quite good value.

I do like the new décor and the fact that the building is fully air-conditioned, however I would recommend that you make want to take a cardigan, I was fine but my daughters complained of the cold and had goose bumps. (18-20C inside, 32C outside).

The show has changed from previous years and I understand that there is a different show for week 1 and week 2, we purchased a DVD of both shows for 20 Lira

Wednesday 11th August – Cubana

I didn’t make a note of what we had here but we were not impressed, the restaurant had been recommended by people at our apartments but we were disappointed, the chips were greasy and the staff a bit over the top, we were given a voucher for three free breakfasts the next day which we used and the breakfast was a lot better than the evening meal.

Thursday 12th August – LAL

Bread and Meze for all
2 * Chicken Soup
1 * Tomato Soup
1 * Garlic Mushroom
2 * Chicken Shish Kebab
1 * LAL lamb special
1 * Adana Kebab with extra chillies
2 * Large Beers
3 * Gin & Sprite
1 * Brandy
2 * Large Fanta Orange
2 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 153 Lira + Tip

WOW!!!!!!! What can I say, it’s the whole package, The Food, The Setting, The attention to detail, the acoustic guitar and singer in the background, the staff. This is definitely the best restaurant in Icmeler, The portions were massive, next time we would not have a starter.

Chicken Shish

LAL Special

It is also worth mentioning that there was a party of approximately 20 Turkish folk celebrating an elderly ladies birthday.

Friday 13th August – Romance

Bread and Meze for all
1 * Chicken Fajita
1 * Half portion of Chicken Fajita
1 * Steak and Kidney Pie
1 * Chicken Wings
2 * Large Beers
1 * Gin & Sprite
1 * Large Fanta Orange
1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 81 Lira + Tip

We have received mixed reviews regarding the Romance but thought we would give it a try, we wanted something quick as there was a killer pool competition at the apartments starting at 22:00 which we wanted to take part in.

The Steak and Kidney pie was full of Kidney and very nice, the skin of the chicken Fajitas was over spiced and both my wife and daughter stated far too hot, in fact my daughter swapped her chicken pieces with a friends plain chicken as she couldn’t eat it and we are a family who are used to spicy Indian curries.

Other than that the meal was OK, it took a bit of time for the bill to arrive when we asked for it and the waiter wanted to know why we were not staying for the entertainment which we never stay for anyway as it is the same thing everywhere.

Saturday 14th August - LAL

Bread and Meze for all
2 * Chicken Shish Kebab
1 * Meat ball Crockpot
1 * Lamb Shank Crockpot
2 * Large Beers
2 * Gin & Sprite
2 * Large Fanta Orangen + 1 * Small
2 * Large Sprite + 1 * Small

Total Bill 111 Lira + Tip

WOW!!!!!!! Again, my wife said it was the best Lamb she had ever had, you just needed to shake the bone and the meat just dropped off. Our friends also came with us this time and they agreed with us, definitely the best restaurant we have ever eaten at in Icmeler.

Sunday 15th August – Harry Rams

1 * Chicken Pie and Chips
3 * Steak Pies & Chips
1 * Gravy (Free)
1 * Large Efes
1 * Gin & Sprites
1 * Large Fanta Orange
1 * Large Sprite

Total Bill 60 Lira + Tip

Our last night and we wanted somewhere cheap so we didn’t have to change any more money. Again the food was lovely and was just what the doctor ordered before going to bed early in preparation for our 04:00am pickup for the airport.

For Tipping I left 10% or 10 Lira which ever was the less, if we just went for a drink somewhere then we didn’t leave a tip unless we stayed for more than one round. Our favourite drinking hole was the magic garden, it’s been 6 holidays since we have been there, I am so glad we went back.

I wished we had gone to LAL earlier in the holiday, I personally believe that this is the best restaurant we have eaten in over the eight year period, will definitely going back next year.

Thought on Icmeler ( previous years)

This is our 8th visit to Icmeler, It was nice to see the newly paved roads up towards the old village instead of the horrible tarmac, hopefully they will complete the remaining small streets this winter.

I am still disappointment that trees are still allowed to grow in the middle of pavements forcing people to walk on the road.

The Hassle this year was practically none existent, there were a couple of restaurants who still try it on but the main hassle was the tour agents and hairdressers.

Food and Beer prices have increased but overall I spent the same as we did last year however we did two trips less missing out the Waterpark and Quad biking.

The changes to the beach front and the rest of the resort are definitely worth it and I love the fountains near the tourist office.

People we met

Again we met JayJay1950 from the Forum as they were staying at the same apartments, We met JozzyD during the boat trip and a guy called Paul from TripAdvisor.

Trips

The prices were the same as last year

Lazy Day Boat Trip (Eren I)

We did this twice, once the first week and once the second week, it’s the perfect way to relax, dipping into the sea at different bays, a lovely BBQ lunch of Chicken, Meat Balls, Pasta and Salad followed by water melon. We swam in a cave but the highlight of the holiday was we saw a fully grown loggerhead turtle.

During our first trip we reserved pieces of cake for the afternoon, we had ours but our friends was sold by mistake, the staff were mortified and crossed the cake off the bill and the following morning at 09:00 a full cake was dropped of at the apartments as an apology, it was enough for two helping each for the seven of us and went down very well at lunch time.

Pick up at the hotel was 9.15 and we finally got dropped back at 17:45.

Jeep Safari

What a day, 23 of us from our apartments went, in total there were 6 jeeps in the convoy, pickup at 09:30, we all had a great time visiting the Honey makers, Waterfall, Beach, Lunch, Off Roading and that lovely shower at the end, we got back about 18:30 and the families we persuaded to join us for their first jeep safari had a great time and there was even one comment of best trip ever. I think as I had told them to expect to get very wet and dirty helped prepare them for the day.

Turkish Shave
Not a trip as such but a lovely hour spend on myself, Full shave, face pack, head, shoulder, arm and hand massage 20 Lira.

Climb to the flag

I was planning to do this but it was just too hot, maybe next year, or I may wait until they install a cable car with a restaurant at the top, but I can’t see that ever happening.

Will I go again

Definitely, Flights are already booked and paid for, I even paid the apartment deposit before I left as I had money left over. 5th August next year I will be drinking in the heat of Icmeler once more.

The last day / night
As normal on our last day we decided to have a lie in bed and wake up naturally from the previous late night, once up the day was spent around the pool, we had our room booked until the following day as we were not due to be picked up until 04:00am and this would enable us all to get some sleep.

We packed at about 18:00 just leaving the towels and wet gear to dry out during the evening.

We all retired at 11:30 with alarm set for 03:00, the rest of the gear was packed and we vacated our apartment at 03:30, Hakan, Yakup, Abdul and Nev had all stayed up to say good bye, they made us coffee and tea while we waited. Once the transfer arrived it was hugs and kisses and goodbyes were said.

Return transfer

The transfer arrived a few minutes late but we were quickly on our way, we filled up with diesel in Marmaris and even got pulled by police for a routine check which took 10 minutes but at 5:40 we arrived at Dalaman safe and sound.

Dalaman

We were the fourth family in the queue for check-in which didn’t open until 06:20 but once open it didn’t take long to check in.

I saw only one family being charged for excess luggage, we only had 48KG and an allowance of 60KG so no issues for us.

Once checked in we decided to say land side as water is now taken from you before passport control, we ate a sandwich we had brought with us and I went outside for a couple of cigarettes while the rest of the family stayed in the airport, the exit is now on the same level at the staff entrance so no need to go down to arrivals first.

We went airside at 07:30 and the gate was open so we obtained a seat there. We purchased water for the flight, 5 Lira for a bottle that costs 0.5 lira in resort but we needed water so paid the inflated prices.

Again some people were using the seats as beds, total lack of consideration for passengers who were left standing, if you want to lie down use the floor, it’s just as soft as the hard wooden benches.

I checked the duty free prices, still expensive unless you buy 1000, I no longer risk bringing extra from Turkey as Manchester airport seems to have stepped up the number of stoppages for flights from Turkey, with four adults in the party I could get 800 but I still think the prices were high so decided to wait for the sales on the plane.

Boarding was on time and doors were closed for push back.

Flight home

Our push back was early and we actually took off at 08:36, we were informed the flight would take 4hours 10 minutes so would arrive early in Manchester.

The flight was with Pegasus, in my opinion a lot better than Onur, our pilot spoke to us about the journey and could be clearly understood, the seats were all leather and the leg room far better than Onur.

Most people slept through the flight as we did, I did wake up to purchase duty free, 800 Silkcut for £70, a saving of £268 compared to the UK.

We were warned of heavy turbulence over Austria and Holland but this didn’t appear although the seat belt signs were switched on over Austria where there was some very light turbulence only.

We finally started our decent into Manchester and landed heavily at 10:44 which was 26 minutes early.

We taxied to the terminal and disembarked quickly. Passport control was only busy with our flight.

We arrived at the conveyor and the cases took another 10 minutes to start to arrive, ours came off quite quickly for a change. Off through customs where this year there was not a single officer in sight.

Journey from airport home

The Father-in-law was waiting for us in arrivals, he had remembered that we were returning via Terminal 1 and not Terminal 2 where we departed, we were soon in the car and on the way home, roads were quite busy but before we knew it we were walking though our front door.

What you did next

I have been at work for a week now, what a come down so finally got around to writing my review at the weekend, we are now looking forward to next years trip

All in all

Best holiday so far in Icmeler, every year just gets better and better, once again we had good weather, good food, good drink and more importantly other good guests at the apartments

On behalf of my wife, my two daughters and of course me I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at all the restaurants and shops we visited, without all your commitment to service and hospitality Icmeler would not be the place it is.

ROLL ON 2011

As normal apologies for the spelling and the grammar etc, I have not really proof read what I typed.
dksbbs

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews