Tommy's restaurant

Guestbooks for Hotels, Apartments, Restaurants, Bars and more...

Moderator: blondie

Re: Tommys Restaurant - very disappointed!!

Postby smc4761 » 01 Jul 2012 11:18

Sorry you had a bad experience at Tommys I ate there 3 times this year and to say the food and the service was first class. Even when the place was very busy the service was consistent. As Peli said maybe a one off

Stewart
smc4761

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 01 Jul 2012 11:36

keileyoneill wrote:We have just got back from 2 weeks in Icmeler (review to be posted shortly) and visited Tommys after all the good reviews/recommendations on here.....we must have gone there on a bad night! My meal was lovely (Chicken Balti) however both my husband and mother in law's meals were awful. They had Steak in BBQ sauce and Chicken Diana - the chicken was watery, the steak fatty, the rice cold and the vegetables full of water. My husband never complains and would rather just pay and leave quickly however his meal was so bad he left it half eaten and complained. The attitude of the staff wasnt great, and whilst they didnt charge us for the steak they did charge us for the chicken meal (but not the 'special chicken deal'). Personally my only complaint is that it was full of wasps and ants (as was everywhere due to the heat) however other restaurants were burning coffee beans which keeps the insects away, Tommy's were putting pieces of foil with meat in on the plant beds to try to contain the insects to one area but all it did was attract even more! We were so disappointed as were really looking forward to it. I hope it was just a bad night but it has put us off and we wont visit next year.

We also ate there once and were both very disappointed with our meals. Would go as far to say as this was the worst meal we have ever had in all our years of visiting Icmeler. We went on a Sunday afternoon for the Sunday roast. The restaurant was empty apart from 2 people having a drink. The beef was processed meat, the one frozen sprout was rock hard, carrots and beans lukewarm and the gravy was as thin and tasteless as dishwater. Would never go back , as we actually had to have a bit of a trek to get to this restaurant.
sandybeach

Postby keileyoneill » 01 Jul 2012 16:29

Sandybeach thats exactly how my mother in law described her meal - processed chicken & sprout so hard she couldnt put her fork it in. My husbands sprout on the other hand was so watery it squirted him when he put his fork in it
keileyoneill

Postby mks » 01 Jul 2012 16:44

Not being funny but why is there a thread on people eating "Sunday lunch " on an Icmeler forum? Do people really go to Turkey to eat Sunday lunch?? Get a life.Can English pubs cook Turkish food - NO.
mks

Postby weetoony » 01 Jul 2012 16:58

mks wrote
Not being funny but why is there a thread on people eating "Sunday lunch " on an Icmeler forum? Do people really go to Turkey to eat Sunday lunch?? Get a life.Can English pubs cook Turkish food - NO

Hear, hear, we are in Turkey to enjoy the Turkish culture and in particular, their varied and excellent cuisine. Our first ever meal in Icmeler seven years ago, as it was handy for the Adler where we were staying, was in this restaurant and we have never been back since mainly because their menu pandered to Brit tastes.
weetoony

Postby keileyoneill » 01 Jul 2012 17:07

If you read the post properly you will see that we didnt have sunday lunch, & ate Turkish cuisine most nights. Regardless of what we ate if a restaurant offers food of any nationality you expect it to be to a good standard & cooked/hot. This is not just in reference to Tommys but any restaurant in the world
keileyoneill

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 01 Jul 2012 17:16

weetoony wrote:mks wrote
Not being funny but why is there a thread on people eating "Sunday lunch " on an Icmeler forum? Do people really go to Turkey to eat Sunday lunch?? Get a life.Can English pubs cook Turkish food - NO

Hear, hear, we are in Turkey to enjoy the Turkish culture and in particular, their varied and excellent cuisine. Our first ever meal in Icmeler seven years ago, as it was handy for the Adler where we were staying, was in this restaurant and we have never been back since mainly because their menu pandered to Brit tastes.

Its all about supply and demand and obviously the demand for a sunday roast is there as so many restaurants are offering the sunday roast meal, but not as many that are offering showing of English/Scottish football games in the bars. It is my holiday and I will eat what I like but like the previous quote , I am also expecting a meal of good quality and this is the point I was making.
sandybeach

Postby noodles1609 » 01 Jul 2012 17:21

mks wrote:Not being funny but why is there a thread on people eating "Sunday lunch " on an Icmeler forum? Do people really go to Turkey to eat Sunday lunch?? Get a life.Can English pubs cook Turkish food - NO.

Willing to bet that pub has a curry night, does a pizza or two and offers panini's for lunch? Surely it doesn't matter the origin of the food in comparison to the country you're in at any given time? :)
noodles1609

Postby mks » 01 Jul 2012 17:44

Its all about supply and demand if thats the way that you are forced. If you want sunday roast go to Blackpool and leave Turkey to people that want to experience the Turkish way. I read on this forum about Icmeler going the way of Benidorm etc.....I wonder why? Dont knock Turkish people because they cant cook Brussel sprouts . :evil:
mks

Postby noodles1609 » 01 Jul 2012 17:53

mks - You just have to look down your own high street to see that is always in every country a demand for different types of food from different countries and cultures. There is totally nothing wrong with catering for British tastes overseas. However, everybody is perfectly entitled to have their own opinion, that's what forums are all about, but perhaps there are times when a "save to draft" might come in handy so you can read back before posting what could be seen by others as a bit on the less than kind side. No need for fall outs, just lets everyone be able to have their view in a constructive positive way without labelling folk eh?

BTW, I've never managed to get a decent Sunday Roast in Blackpool - where do you go for one :lol:
noodles1609

Postby mks » 01 Jul 2012 18:13

Look, all i am saying is if you eat in Turkey, judge them on their national cuisine and not on currys and sunday lunch. There is nothing wrong with eating other food that they offer but don't be surprised when it doesn't live up to your expectations.You don't have to live somewhere to have an opinion on somewhere that you have spent a lot of time.
mks

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 01 Jul 2012 18:34

mks wrote:Its all about supply and demand if thats the way that you are forced. If you want sunday roast go to Blackpool and leave Turkey to people that want to experience the Turkish way. I read on this forum about Icmeler going the way of Benidorm etc.....I wonder why? Dont knock Turkish people because they cant cook Brussel sprouts . :evil:

I do not need to be told where I should holiday and wonder why you are a frequent visitor to the Stella show, the drag artist from Blackpool? Would hardly call the Stella show authentic Turkish entertainment ?
sandybeach

Postby mks » 01 Jul 2012 19:03

Nobody is telling you where to holiday, just accept that Turkey aint England ! As far as the stella show goes, saw it twice as its supposed to be a different show every other week. Its average - nothing to write home (to Blackpool ) about. I have spent a lot of time in Turkey and i can see where it is going and its not progress.Dont slag me for loving Icmeler and Turkey as a whole, just embrace the culture and dont try to change it.
mks

Postby juju » 01 Jul 2012 22:03

keileyoneill wrote:We have just got back from 2 weeks in Icmeler (review to be posted shortly) and visited Tommys after all the good reviews/recommendations on here.....we must have gone there on a bad night! My meal was lovely (Chicken Balti) however both my husband and mother in law's meals were awful. They had Steak in BBQ sauce and Chicken Diana - the chicken was watery, the steak fatty, the rice cold and the vegetables full of water. My husband never complains and would rather just pay and leave quickly however his meal was so bad he left it half eaten and complained. The attitude of the staff wasnt great, and whilst they didnt charge us for the steak they did charge us for the chicken meal (but not the 'special chicken deal'). Personally my only complaint is that it was full of wasps and ants (as was everywhere due to the heat) however other restaurants were burning coffee beans which keeps the insects away, Tommy's were putting pieces of foil with meat in on the plant beds to try to contain the insects to one area but all it did was attract even more! We were so disappointed as were really looking forward to it. I hope it was just a bad night but it has put us off and we wont visit next year.

I don't see anything on here,the original post, about sunday roasts.
juju

Postby kirky » 03 Jul 2012 19:41

ive never tried tommys but family said its very good going give it try this year in fact only been wayside ,sylvias in that location
kirky

Postby Jozzyd » 03 Jul 2012 21:03

Tommys is a fair old walk from Wayside and Sylvias Kirky but in my opinion worth it :D
Jozzyd

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 04 Jul 2012 06:09

Always the voice of reason Peli, well said.
sandybeach

Postby scunny jim » 04 Jul 2012 06:18

Excellent comment Peli. Also in defence of Tommy we have had a huge number of meals there over the years and for every meal he has come over and asked if everything was ok.Jim
scunny jim

Postby keileyoneill » 04 Jul 2012 17:54

Thanks for all the 'sensible' replies on my post, i try to be honest & fair without being rude or aggressive. Peli - particular thanks to you. My husband is now prepared to give it another go next year and is convinced there must be 2 Tommys. He made me walk round the old village for an hour to try to find the 'right' Tommys after our meal!! :D
keileyoneill

Postby Roy » 04 Jul 2012 18:06

Nice finale Keiley (& husband), hopefully you'll feel better about your next visit & I'm sure you'll still be objective about any future review you might post. As you say everyone has a right to their opinion whether agreed with or not & I'm sure that what you said was right for your experience.
Best wishes,
Roy

• Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Guestbooks.