Extra security

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Extra security

Postby kez&sue » 05 Jun 2017 19:25

Having just returned from icmeler last week I thought I would mention the extra security checks at dalaman apologies if others have already covered this , I applaud the extra security but I feel that this should be common practice all over the world firstly you get luggage hand luggage and yourself scanned before you check in your bags you then get the same done again before you go through passport control and then when you get to your boarding gate every single person was searched and bags checked and we were swabbed as well ,the only downside for me was the fact that half the passengers had gone through security before it was announced that there was a gate change so everyone who had already been checked had to repeat the process again I understand some people especially with young children in tow but as I previously said I wish they were as thorough at east midlands .
kez&sue

Advertisement

Re: Extra security

Postby blondie » 05 Jun 2017 20:11

Yes, I also found the additional security very reassuring. We were body searched at all three checkpoints and my husband had his hands swabbed at the boarding gate too. When we travelled from Bitez to Icmeler, our dolmus was stopped at one of the roadside checkpoints and they were checking ID cards and passports too
blondie

Postby swc24 » 05 Jun 2017 21:17

Hi

This is what use to happen at Dalaman, it was only last year that the check at the gate was removed.

Steve
swc24

Postby smc4761 » 08 Jun 2017 18:02

I disagree about the extra security to be honest. Fine if the additional resources are put in place to manage the additional but my experience this year was dreadful

Surely if you are already searched twice and all bags scanned twice, you are already in a secure area, what is the point in a 3rd search. This was my experience from a few days ago

Typically once you have gone through the first 2 checks you are then called to gate around 45/60 minutes before flight. A typical plane will have around 180 passengers. We got called to our gate at 21.25 for our 22.25 flight. To be fair this is a wee bit earlier than previous years. Again queue up to go through, this time there are 2 tables and your hand luggage gets opened, they search it quite thoroughly, you are swabbed, patted down again. Now with each search taking between 2-3 minutes with about 180 passengers, you do the maths the flight will not be on time. By 22.15 they still had around 50 people to check, eventually they decided to add 2 more desks and eventually we were all boarded a 22.50

The 2 flights due out before us are also delayed by about 30 minutes

I cannot see Easyjet Monarch etc being happy about their planes being on ground for so long.

With higher temps and perhaps more frequent flights leaving, I can see this causing even more issues. This will I believe be just another reason why people may be put off travelling to Turkey
smc4761

Postby kirky » 08 Jun 2017 20:55

Came back last October from Tenerife got swabed security very good in the world we live in now I'm afraid it the norm roll on 26 th August back Icmeler nobody's stopping my travels
kirky

Postby redmanc78 » 08 Jun 2017 22:15

How can people complain nowadays about security checks delaying flights and potentially putting people off coming Turkey?
they are performing the checks for our benefit (the traveller) and if it holds us up a bit then so be it.
redmanc78

Advertisement

Postby Sami » 28 Jun 2017 13:55

I have not been back to Turkey for a good couple of years purely on the basis of what has been happening with bombings etc and it has scared me, the thought of coming through Dalaman airport tbh. I am glad to hear the security has picked up so much as the last time I was there, they had set up the tables by the gate but I certainly was not patted down or swabbed back then.
It is frustrating of course, the time it takes and yes, if there are so many people waiting and it has already gone past the time you are due to fly, kids get fidgety, parents tired etc and it has a knock effect for your end destination, whether that be a connecting flight or your cab home.
But, I would much rather be checked over and over along with every other person on my flight to ensure that absolutely nothing got past the security guys. As someone has said, unfortunately it is the world we live in now. But, I am definitely coming back next year. I miss Icmeler so much.
Sami

• Advertisement

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum