Eating out

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Eating out

Postby bode5997 » 13 May 2017 17:27

How much is a meal out nowadays?
bode5997

Advertisement

Re: Eating out

Postby smc4761 » 13 May 2017 18:09

It will vary depending on the type of food you like and the place that you go to

Pide place are probably the cheapest with a main costing around 20 lira

Set chicken meals typically 35 lira

Steak set meal typically 50/60 lira

expect to pay a good bit more for some of the more upmarket restaurants eg Loveboat

Efes is around 10/12 lira
smc4761

Postby blondie » 13 May 2017 18:10

It depends very much where you go - many places do good value set menus ranging from under 30TL to 40TL for fillet steak, for instance. However, you can eat very well and very reasonably indeed if you go to the little Turkish places such as Kayra, Kardelen, Nefis, Meryem - or the new Hanci and Nazar - where you will find great food at great value prices.
blondie

Postby bode5997 » 13 May 2017 20:59

Those restaurants,are they in Icemeler?
bode5997

Postby blondie » 13 May 2017 21:27

Yes, all in Icmeler
blondie

Postby Chris » 14 May 2017 01:47

For under 30 to 40 lira for a set steak menu !! I would like to know which restaurants do them for this price now.
Chris

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 14 May 2017 08:08

Chris wrote:For under 30 to 40 lira for a set steak menu !! I would like to know which restaurants do them for this price now.

To clarify, I meant you could get set menus from under 30TL upwards - obviously the cheaper ones won't be steak but would probably be pasta or chicken main dishes, but as just one example, Sony's was advertising set menus with fillet steak as the main dish for 40TL just last week.
blondie

Postby redmanc78 » 14 May 2017 11:04

For us,it's not just the very reasonable price of meals in icmeler and turkey in general but the service and quality and is second to none.
Already mentally preparing my list of restaurants for this coming year. :D
redmanc78

Postby dj_sploits » 15 May 2017 08:06

blondie wrote:It depends very much where you go - many places do good value set menus ranging from under 30TL to 40TL for fillet steak, for instance. However, you can eat very well and very reasonably indeed if you go to the little Turkish places such as Kayra, Kardelen, Nefis, Meryem - or the new Hanci and Nazar - where you will find great food at great value prices.

Hi Blondie,

Could you possibly give some simple directions to the Turkish restaurants please? Especially the 2 new ones. We ate at a lovely little Turkish restaurant last year (can't remember the name of it sadly) and really enjoyed it. We would like to find more of these for our 2 week break in July.
General directions from the square would be fantastic. Thank you :D
dj_sploits

Postby blondie » 15 May 2017 08:54

Ok, here goes: from the main square, head up to the main road and walk along to your right - Kardelen is almost opposite the bigger Migros supermarket and Alin's Grill, while if you cross the road and walk round the corner of the Migros (where the little bakery is), Kayra is just up there on the left (on a corner).
For Meryem and Nefis, take the road which heads up past Romance towards the old village - they are both on the left hand side, Meryem next to Latina jewellers and Nefis a bit further up.
Hanci Ocakbasi is on the same road as the Buffalo Bar - from the square, take the little side street beside the Icmeler Online office and then turn left, it's further down than the Buffalo. Nazar is on the main road which heads down towards the beach when you turn the corner round past Cafe Anne's - on the right hand side heading to the beach, near the Mirage World Hotel.
Hope those directions make some kind of sense...I've not tried either of the last two yet, but can recommend the others.
blondie

Postby dj_sploits » 15 May 2017 09:17

blondie wrote:Ok, here goes: from the main square, head up to the main road and walk along to your right - Kardelen is almost opposite the bigger Migros supermarket and Alin's Grill, while if you cross the road and walk round the corner of the Migros (where the little bakery is), Kayra is just up there on the left (on a corner).
For Meryem and Nefis, take the road which heads up past Romance towards the old village - they are both on the left hand side, Meryem next to Latina jewellers and Nefis a bit further up.
Hanci Ocakbasi is on the same road as the Buffalo Bar - from the square, take the little side street beside the Icmeler Online office and then turn left, it's further down than the Buffalo. Nazar is on the main road which heads down towards the beach when you turn the corner round past Cafe Anne's - on the right hand side heading to the beach, near the Mirage World Hotel.
Hope those directions make some kind of sense...I've not tried either of the last two yet, but can recommend the others.

As per normal Blondie your Içmeler knowledge is second to none :)

It was Meryem where we ate last year (your directions hit the spot) and it was fantastic. Will be paying them a visit again this year. Definitely going to be trying all the others too!

Thank you :D
dj_sploits

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 15 May 2017 10:45

Meryem is one of our favourite places to eat - the food is always excellent. I've been told there is another new Turkish place on the road up past Romance towards the old village now too, although I don't know the name. We'll be in Icmeler in the next couple of weeks though, so I will keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I find any new ones.
blondie

Postby dj_sploits » 15 May 2017 12:36

Brilliant :P
dj_sploits

Postby blondie » 15 May 2017 17:42

Wee update, Sony's is today advertising fillet steak with home-made chips and veg for 38TL, which at current exchange rates I make to be just over £8. Not bad value...where could you get a fillet steak meal in this country for that price?
blondie

Postby Chris » 16 May 2017 00:44

Yes just seen that Sony is advertising his fillet steak today at 38 TL, lovely man, met with him and had a chat a couple of years ago, thats very cheap.
Chris

Postby ScouseFitz » 17 May 2017 12:16

I always find it funny when I see 'Fillet Steak' advertised, when 9 times out of ten, its never Fillet.
ScouseFitz

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 17 May 2017 12:22

ScouseFitz wrote:I always find it funny when I see 'Fillet Steak' advertised, when 9 times out of ten, its never Fillet.

Any time I've had it, it's definitely been fillet (my mother-in-law used to be a butcher) - usually had steak in Harry's restaurant, which is sadly gone now though.
blondie

Postby ScouseFitz » 17 May 2017 15:55

The 'Fillet' I've had in Icmeler is always the wrong shape, clearly not cut from the fillet, usually what we'd call Rump. Very different from the Fillet I used to sell in my restaurant. I've always thought it was just a question of definition of Fillet.
ScouseFitz

Postby blondie » 17 May 2017 17:41

All I can say is that the fillet I had was most definitely fillet and not rump - but I have seen pics of some so-called "fillet steaks" that certainly didn't look like it, so you may well be right. I'm going back a few years now anyway - Harry's has been gone for a while now - and we tend to only eat at the little Turkish places now in any case.
blondie

Postby dj_sploits » 18 May 2017 08:05

I have always had fillet steak whenever I have ordered it.

2015 - Champagne

2016 - Champagne

I'm back on the 10th July. I shall order fillet steak every night and see if anywhere lets me down :wink:
dj_sploits

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum