Anything happening

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Re: Anything happening

Postby cmac » 01 Apr 2017 13:09

it has got nothing to do with greater knowledge, don't be so patronising. go and look up the definition of an opinion in the dictionary, it is your personal take on things, it is not factual. people may agree, does not make it right, or wrong
cmac

Advertisement

Postby south coast hero » 01 Apr 2017 19:15

Ok cmac im not an internet warrior or a cyber bully so i will drop the issue.
The last word is yours.
All i would say though if every one came on here and said every thing was great in Icmeler it would be a boring forum.
I am in the minority that does not think it is as good as it was in what people might call the "Glory Years."
It does seem to be frowned upon if peoples views are not in the "everything is great" camp.
Anyway enjoy your holiday this year as i am sure we will.

South Coast Hero.
south coast hero

Postby smc4761 » 01 Apr 2017 21:08

Hi South coast hero. To be honest I dont think you are in the minority saying that Icmeler is not as good. Many of the regular posters on here over the past few years have also said the same thing, geordie 1970, Mansy etc. Even Rami has said things have perhaps changed for the poorer

There is no doubt the resort has changed, like all things in life, some will like others will not. Personally I am not that fussed about the changes, maybe because I like a nice relaxing holiday, so I will enjoy. I do however feel for the businesses that have spent a great deal of money, and time on their premises to be hit with less tourists
smc4761

Postby kirky » 02 Apr 2017 09:41

I used to holiday to Icmeler with many friends over year been over 20 times loved place didn't want go any where else, but 3 years ago I could see that glory days was coming to end empty restaurants bars beach getting tired rubbish in streets,no market,no canal shop ect,we used go with big party 30+ people who have now found other places in Europe to go I myself started holiday in Tenerife and Cyprus I will return one day but it be many years time .
kirky

Postby madazahatter » 02 Apr 2017 14:50

It seems like the place is suffering from a number of issues. There is as I see it a bit of an identity crisis. The powers that be are definitely trying to attract a certain type of customer, the type that are no good for the many bars and restaurants that rely on the jolly Brit contingent to survive.

The massive increase on all inclusive resorts seems to be a favourite for a number of people, whether people like it or not the average punter has had quite a squeeze on their finances over the past years, for some going all inclusive is the only way some people can afford to get away. It gives the impression of the resort being busy but there are a number of people just walking about and not spending money. I would also say that when i first started visiting Turkey it was a cheap place to visit, now its far from that. Good value in my opinion but not cheap.

I've been visiting Icmeler for years and I never really liked the entertainment and the blaring music so for me the changes haven't made much of a difference. Thats not because I consider myself old, I was in my 20's when I started visiting, I'm still only in my early 40's.

I hated the market and would avoid it on purpose so I don't miss that. I do agree that the removal of the market stalls along the canal were a game changer, again I never agreed with the principle that some vendors should be allowed to operate without having to pay the rents and taxes etc that the shop keepers did but something does need doing with the canal area.

I also feel that Turkey does suffer from a great deal of negative press publicity re the terrorism subject. There are a number of countries closer to home that have a higher terror threat and proven recent terrorist activity but there never seems to be the ongoing media negativity.

In short I'll continue to visit Icmeler, I've already booked for this year but only because its a place that suits me and my holiday style, everybody has the right to vote with their feet and I hope the fortunes of the place turn around because I for one do not want to see the place suffer any further.
madazahatter

Postby blondie » 02 Apr 2017 17:11

On the back of all the doom and gloom about places closing, heard today that the former Corner bar/Tandoori Sizzler on the corner of the main square (next to the ICR offices!) is going to be a new cocktail bar called Daisy, and opening soon. Some good news at last... :wink:
blondie

Advertisement

Postby geordie1970 » 04 Apr 2017 01:21

Hi Blondie, so Corner Bar/Tandoori is no more under the prior owners? :shock:

I thought 'Mr Mico and Abraham' etc were there for ever?? :(
geordie1970

Postby blondie » 04 Apr 2017 08:37

geordie1970 wrote:Hi Blondie, so Corner Bar/Tandoori is no more under the prior owners? :shock:

I thought 'Mr Mico and Abraham' etc were there for ever?? :(

I'm not entirely sure - I believe Abraham may still be involved in the new Daisy bar. Seems that there may still be some of the previous owners/management there and just a new look/new name?
blondie

Postby lynnep » 04 Apr 2017 15:51

Hi to all in Icmeler For over 20 years we came to Icmeler & fell in love with it we had some great holidays there we traveled to different towns Dacha for one loved the boat trips to Trunch & went on many a day trip while there & loved the bargains that we bought & filled out suit cases to come back home i even bought curtain material which was lovely. The canal market was part of our holiday holiday & was sad to see it go. We did NOT fall out of love with Icmeler but felt that we needed a change from walking the same paths every night & seeing Michael Jackson & Robo man do the same thing every year & saw the waiters dancing on the bar. We feel that we out grew it. We are now retired & have a bit more freedom as when we can take out holidays We still come to Turkey but a different part.Maybe we will return in the future but i wish all the people in Icmeler all the best for the future years to come & hope the tourist trade does improve again for them as it is their lively hood & they need to be able to live
lynnep

Postby Chris » 04 Apr 2017 22:47

We used to always stay in Marmaris and visit Icmeler on market day,gradually we started to enjoy Icmeler more over the 15 years years.Weve started to stay in Icmeler every year over the last 6 years, its a lovely resort, but have started to see a big decline since the canal stalls have gone, the restaurants can not have entertainment like they used to, etc. We went from mid May and mid September, last year May was such a let down for us, most evenings we were the only couple eating in a restaurant !! and they were closing early, I like quiet but not that quiet !! Majestic and Venice on the canal only had a few people in, so they had very little entertainment on , understandable. Weve decided this year to holiday in Europe in May to a busier resort. September last year was better so we have booked to stay again for 3 weeks then, hope we wont be disappointed.
Chris

Postby geordie1970 » 06 Apr 2017 23:37

Cheers Blondie, bit surprised that they've went down the Bar avenue, rather than maintaining the Restaurant as well?

But I suppose if the Food business was in decline (maybe be down to All Inc increase) then they've gotta try something new :shock:

Speaking to Mico last year he had plans for a Bar and dance floor next to the old Bar, whilst keeping the Restaurant ... but things have obviously changed :(

I wish them well, as they're a good team and Abraham is renowned for his 'UK' accents :lol:

G
geordie1970

Advertisement

Postby blondie » 07 Apr 2017 08:31

Another change - the Golden Moon restaurant, on main square just up from the Lighthouse (in front of the Vela) has been taken over by Yurda Inaloz, who many will know from Champagne Restaurant and apartments - and will now be known as the Golden Moon Champagne. Champagne will be staying open too.
blondie

Postby sirkyboy » 07 Apr 2017 17:46

My take on things probably goes over a lot of whats been said already, but as 37 year old who has been visiting Icmeler since my early 20's I'm certainly not in my "Winter Years" as has been mentioned here previously.

I have always thought of Icmeler as the quiet little sibling to Marmaris, hence why out of 15 years of annual holidays, I have stayed in Marmaris once (my second visit to Turkey) and vowed never again. Icmeler always had the charm that was lacking in it's elder sibling. In the earlier years, It always felt more civilised, but since around 2010 I thought the place started to gear more towards the typical Brit tourist, so I think some of the changes are for the better, the music ban is good. If you want blaring music til 2/3/4am then Marmaris is a short drive away. Also the illegal buildings, whilst added some quirk some where a bit unsightly. I also think the lack of entertainment is silly, yes most of it was tired and the same old shtick, but that was Icmeler, and as long as it was turned off at midnight I don't see the problem.

I think removing the canal stalls was a bad Idea, as is the lack of the weekly market. Although most of what was sold was utter tat, it was still part of the holiday experience.

I think the media has a part to play also, I was a big fan of Turkey, but last year after Tunisia, and the medias spin on Turkey, I gave it a miss. I then realised late last year that I was missing out on something I love and listening to other peoples opinions, hence why we are coming back this year in May.
sirkyboy

Postby kez&sue » 07 Apr 2017 21:44

Hi all I have been reading this thread with interest and I agree with plenty of things that have been said but the last post regarding what happened in Tunisia I was in the very hotel with my family 7 days before the terrible attack in Tunisia,now my wife has always said that she has always felt totally safe in icmeler and is more than confident about going for a stroll on her own but when we were in Tunisia whilst walking along the very beach that the attack happened she annoyed me by saying can we please go back she was really uneasy and really nervous now myself I don't usually feel intimidated by anyone but certain parts I couldn't wait to get away from now people may think that I am saying this all after the terrible event but we all said before we even returned to the uk that we would never return to tunisia and i know due to the media etc people sre really worried about visiting icmeler but hand on heart we cannot wait to go again on the 22nd of may and visit all our lovely Turkish friends and i hope this coming season is a much busier one than last year
kez&sue

Postby inch1963 » 12 Apr 2017 16:37

We have just come home from our first trip this season.Yes Icmeler is quiet,and just starting to come to life.All the bars on the walkway to Marmaris have been demolished,but the equipment is still on site wrapped up.Cafe del Mar has re-opened this week.Apart from Denis Kapizi,which remained open throughout the winter BS has opened and welcoming customers.The seating area at the side of the Ida,where the Bonjour once stood is really nice,with a grassed area leading to the Bonjour swimming pool.That was open last week with sun loungers ready and waiting.The Ida pool was not quite ready but the bar/restaurant was open and operating a full menu.L'Etoile hotel has been open throughout the winter allowing the locals to use the indoor games facilities.Tin Tins is open and currently Efes is 8ytl.Sonys is open,hosting the quiz night on a Wednesday evening.The old Geordie/Rangers bar,now Oscars is a bright new bar,great music and a nice sun trap in front.Tipsi burger house re-opened on 1st of April.The small butchers at the side of Lovestar has closed but as someone has previously mentioned there is a Turkish, chicken wings and kebab outlet open.Adams trips place is now home to a Sok supermarket,with a large dwelling under consruction nexr door and three almost complete dwellings across the road next to the car wash. Opposite Sonys,next to Sienna bar there is another new Turkish eatery opened.Alins is open as are all the Turkish cafe style places ie Nefis, Kayra, Kardelen,Sofra, Ugra.Icmeler Ink with Gamze has a new home at her dads shop across the crossroads from the square passed Best supermarket just before the Three Bells.Pizza Timo has closed Wayside has closed. For those than still like the market take a trip to Datca.Just around 65 mins from Icmeler at the back of town.Clothes bags,leather goods etc and the fruit and veg stalls. Then walk back into town and sit in one of the seafront/harbour bars watching the world go by. If you walk further round there is a small sandy beach nearby also.Weather 29-31 degrees.Little cool still at night. Exchange rate 4,500ytl in exchange offices,slightly better in the bank.Just been a nice sunny relaxing time with friends old and new.Bring on the next 8 weeks until our return.For those of you who are returning,have a great time and enjoy.My final thought is how priviliged I feel I am to be able to go to Icmeler and see that woderful place. inch1963
inch1963

Postby blondie » 12 Apr 2017 17:34

inch1963, many thanks for such a full and informative report. I am sure it will be of great interest to many of our members, who have been waiting with bated breath for first-hand and up-to-date information. Glad to hear you had a good time!
blondie

Advertisement

Postby cmac » 14 Apr 2017 00:29

Many thanks for the update inch, very useful indeed. Seems to be a lot of developments in and around the town. Some will be good, some not so, but the town has to keep moving forward and while it is a shame about places closing/being demolished, rules are rules and should be adhered to, wherever you are. We were not there last year, as commitments in Florida for Hallowe'en, so this will be first visit since July 15, but really looking forward to going back
cmac

• Advertisement

Previous

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum