EHIC card

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

EHIC card

Postby mickd » 21 Jul 2008 19:27

Hi.Doe,s anyone know if the EHIC health cover card is valid in Turkey.Thanks
mickd

Advertisement

Postby dksbbs » 21 Jul 2008 19:35

No unfortunately not, Turkey are not part of the EU yet.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby mickd » 21 Jul 2008 19:43

Thanks for that dksbbs. Looks like the shark fighting and hang gliding in baggy shorts is out then. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mickd

Postby ola » 22 Jul 2008 08:54

It is amazing how many people get caught out by this!!!!!!!!!

When i was in Icmeler in 2005 we were talking to a couple at our hotel and the couple they were with, wouldn't listern when they told them that they needed insurance. They went there with just an E111, thankfully they didn't need medical insurance!!! They would have been right in it if anything had happened.

Ola
ola

Postby salford_steve » 22 Jul 2008 08:58

No it doesn't cover Turkey.

If I was going to a country that it was valid in I would still take out insurance. When you get your E11 card it does tell you that it should not be used as a replacement for travel insurance. There are so many things that it doesn't cover and you could be left seriously out of pocket. It only entitles you to that countrys emergency medical treatment that they offer to their locals which obviously differs between countrys. God forbid any of you should have to arrange to have a body sent home, then this is an example of something the E11 card would not help you with.

Steve
salford_steve

Postby blondie » 22 Jul 2008 09:09

If you shop around, you can actually get travel insurance pretty cheaply now - and if you take more than one holiday a year, the annual policies are usual even better value. We've got an annual family policy which also covers each of us if we wanted to travel separately, which is definitely worth it. I wouldn't dream of travelling without insurance - it's just not worth the risk.
blondie

Advertisement

Postby salford_steve » 22 Jul 2008 10:26

I get mine for £8-10 for a couple for 2 weeks, and it has everything you need. It's next to nothing for peace of mind.

Steve
salford_steve

Postby ola » 22 Jul 2008 10:29

Couldn't agree more Steve!!

I always pay the excess on mine too, so that i don't have anything to pay!!

I still find it hard to believe in this day and age that some people still go away with no travel insurance.

Ola
ola

Postby ochlynda » 22 Jul 2008 10:45

I am glad we had took out a good insurance policy as this year it was put to use only had the £50 excess to pay they had everything processed and approved within 24 hrs of hubby phoning final bill for hospital was almost £3000 so glad I didn't have that to pay.
They also phoned every other day even after I had got out off hospital to check if we needed anything and made sure we had help at Dalaman for check in and for getting on the plane.
Excellent service

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby salford_steve » 22 Jul 2008 11:48

Sounds like a good service linda. We've never had to use ours, but I still wouldn't go without it. It's the things that you're describing Lynda that you wouldn't get using a E11 card. You have the peace of mind knowing that the insurance company will arrange everything for you should you need them to.

Steve
salford_steve

Postby paty » 22 Jul 2008 12:26

i was surprised at the number of people who think they have insurance when in fact they dont. a friend takes a tablet each day and never told them about it so the policy was void if you take any type of medication you must tell them or you are not insured lots of people i know dont tell them.
paty

Advertisement

EHIC

Postby jivebunnie0 » 23 Jul 2008 22:14

going slightly off topic.... we've always bought an annual travel insurance with Boots cost about £80.

Until this year, when unfortunately I was diagnosed with diabetes and Boots won't cover anything other than fully fit! Did a bit of shopping around and got a reasonable deal for OH and me (covering my medical condition) for £120 so it wasn't too bad. :)
jivebunnie0

• Advertisement

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum