Toonarmybarmy Tim Siesta Hotel Icmeler 2012

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Toonarmybarmy Tim Siesta Hotel Icmeler 2012

Postby toonarmybarmy » 21 Jul 2012 11:37

Day one. 19th July.
Arrived at Newcastle airport after a pleasant Brunch and a quick Efes in Wetherspoons. We are getting so posh in Gateshead now.
Very impressed with the greeting from Jet2 staff who were were very friendly and helpful! Wandered around the shops and had a few more beers, then everyone loaded on the plane on time. Again, very helpful and friendly service from Jet2.
Now the only problem. After sitting, roasting for a while, the captain announced that we were being delayed for an hour as Austrian air traffic control were "short staffed".
Once we got away the flight was fine and we made up half of the delay. I must comment on the new seats on the Jet2 plane. As someone previously mentioned, they do not recline which is a godsend but also due to their design, give more leg room.
Very quickly off the plane at Dalaman and, by the time we were through Visa and Passport, our luggage was coming off the belt.
Got to our hotel at 1am, I will do a separate review of the hotel in the Guestbook section later, down to the bar for a few Efes then off to bed!

Tim
Day 2
Well, how hot is this?
Had a light breakfast then off on a wander to find our Icmeler friends. 9:20 and 34 degrees already (but not competing with JT's official weather report from his meteorological station) . Bit too early so back to the hotel for a few Efes and a swim.
Tried again after 12 with more success. Never fails to amaze me the way these people remember you.
Both really tired so had food at hotel, then down to the 3 Bells for a drink with Ercan. The guy was so young when we first met him and has done so well for him self!
Anyway, back to hotel, few beers then early night. Bring on tomorrow! Table booked at Cupids and can't wait.

Tim

Day 3

Up bright and early having recovered from the journey.
Light breakfast then a couple of hours around and in the pool. I honestly don't remember it getting so hot so early in the day in previous years. If anyone has any doubts as to JTs weather reports being accurate, believe me, they are!
Anyway, once we did venture out, we only got round the corner and Mrs Toon had to go back for a lie down due to pain in her dodgy hip following the previous day's exertions. (more about that later)
So off I toddled on my own. First port of call was the ICR office to book the Akyaka trip for Friday. Really looking forward to that one. (again, I will make a separate entry for that one)
Walked down to Yakamoz to take in the sea air and a few Efes. Sure I saw a few clouds over Marmaris way.
Back to the hotel for a refreshing swim before getting ready for the evening.
Off out to Cupids for a steak! While we were there I persuaded Mrs Toon that we should go to Buffalo to see if there were any mobility scooters available, which I'm pleased to say there were. He wanted us to take it then, but we decided to pick it up in the morning.
Oh nearly forgot to mention, 2.5 lira (90p) for a large draught beer in Buffalo! Champion :-)
Off back to the hotel for a night cap or 3 then off to bed.

Tim

Day 4
Woke up by Mrs Toon at 8am as she was hungry. Nice omelette followed by toast and jam for breakfast. I really don't understand how anyone can eat a fry up in this heat.
Down to Buffalo at 10 for Mrs Toon to collect her chariot. After some quick instructions back to the hotel and by the time we got there, she was driving it like a pro.
Had a few hours in and around the pool with a few Efes. This really is the life!
Went to Havana to write yesterday's Blog while Mrs Toon was having a siesta and what a nice place it is.
Decided to go to The Three Bells for dinner. Naturally, as soon as we got there Ercan stole the chariot and was whizzing around asking everyone if they wanted a lift home.
I must say, the food did not disappoint, even got a wave off the chef who remembered us from previous years. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I like the Three Bells, but sitting at our usual table, we really felt like we were home!
Back to the hotel for a few cheeky vodkas then off to bed. They say tomorrow is another day, but that's only true if you get to bed before midnight. ;-)

Tim

Day 5
Managed a little bit of a lie in today. Light breakfast and off exploring with Mrs Toon in her chariot. Now I really like a nice walk but two hours non stop is a bit much. We, or should I say I walked along the main road to Tanas, up into the old village down past the new 3 (4) Bells and the Christmas Tree is something you must see. Then it was down the main road to the beach, along to the canal and back to the hotel. Quite a few people have asked about the stalls on the canal, well some things in Icmeler have changed for the better but this is not one of them. There is now no atmosphere there and as for the new stalls, only a few of them are occupied and I haven't seen anyone shopping there.
Once Mrs Toon went for her siesta I walked down to The Three Bells for a couple of Efes and to complete yesterday's Blog. Not the easiest place to do this as Ercan was fascinated with my tablet computer and was looking over my shoulder wanting to know what I was doing and why.
After something to eat Mrs Toon decided she wanted some new sandals as the ones she had brought from UK were hurting her feet. So off we went to find something suitable. Having found something she liked the look of we went in to try them on. "Oh yes" she said "I want these". Now here's a warning to all you men. I asked the shop owner how much he wanted, he named a price (I am not saying how much it was to save my embarrassment). Now normally they name a price, you offer a third and you meet somewhere in the middle. I could not understand why this guy was not budging at all. Then I looked round for some support from Mrs Toon, but she is sitting with the new sandals fastened, old shoes in a bag and a grin on her face that said "I am not taking these off". Naturally I paid up and left feeling like I had been raped :-D
Did intended an early night but got chatting and it was after midnight again.
Really must try going to bed the same day as I get up sometime.

Tim

Day 6
Woke up and looked out the window, looks like rain, only kidding, not a cloud in the sky!
Light breakfast then off for a walk with Mrs Toon. Called into the ICR office to make enquiries for next year and bumped into JT. He really is struggling to think of new things to take pictures of every day, hence the pictures of Mrs Toon and me yesterday. So if there is something you want to see just ask him.
My afternoon walk today was to The 3 (4) Bells to use their WiFi. Unfortunately, I was just leaving when I realised JT was sat behind me.
Evening meal today was at Buffalo. The Buffalo Special Spicy Kebab was a meat lovers delight, you know how those long peppers are not normally spicy, well this one was very spicy, which I discovered by taking a big bite of it. Talk about steam coming out of your ears! Mrs Toon was very pleased as well and said her lamb casserole was one of the best she had ever had. Sugar said the chef had just started that day. Well on this showing, he has got a good one.
Got back to the hotel and luckily had missed the Hip Hop, Belly Dance and Mr Robotto shows. There's nothing wrong with them, but I've lost count of how many times I've seen them.
Anyway, the usual few vodkas then off to bed.

Tim

Day 7

Not much to report today as we spent most of the day lazing around the hotel and pool. Got a bit of an ear infection so going to need to keep my head out of water for a few days! Mind you, if I keep Mrs Toon on that side I can't hear her :lol:
There seems to be a lot of first time visitors to Icmeler this year and they are all moaning about the length of the airport transfer. I have tried explaining that when we first came it took a lot longer but they are all saying they will not be back because of it. It is their loss. But it's also a shame for the hard working people in the town.
Gave the market a miss this time as I just couldn't imagine walking round there in this heat and I prefer using the shops in town anyway. I will try to get there next week and take a few pictures.
Anyway, off to bed.
Sweet Dreams

Tim

Day 8
Had a lie in and didn't go down for breakfast till 9:30. Yep that is late for me.
Had a nice stroll down the canal and along the front. Feels very hot this morning but temperature gauges are reading same as normal. It's 10pm and I'm sitting at the hotel bar writing this and the air doesn't seem to be moving.
I had intended to walk to the top of the old village today to take some pictures but got half way and had to give up. Staggered to the 3 (4) Bells instead for essential fluid intake!
Evening meal today at the 3 (4) Bells. Bi Bim Bap for me, and I have to admit I left some of the rice. But I could not eat another grain! Mrs Toon said her fillet steak was perfect too and all at a very reasonable price.
So here I am sipping a few vodkas before bed. Big day tomorrow with the Akyaka trip. Me and Mrs Toon are really looking forward to this one. I will make sure to do a full write up tomorrow night and make sure we get plenty of pictures.

Sleep Tight All

Tim

Day 9 It's Akyaka Time!
Had breakfast then nipped to the shop for frozen water for the trip.
Bit of a delay as Mustafa's wife is ill, nothing too serious I hope!
Anyway off we eventually go. 13 between 2 jeeps so plenty of room. Through Marmaris and up into the hills. People have mentioned to me before that the exchange rate in Marmaris was much lower than Icmeler but I hadn't realised how bad it was. In Icmeler the change offices were offering 2.838 while in Marmaris it was 2.715.
We detoured down the old Marmaris / Love road which prompted some 'imaginative' driving trying to avoid the pot holes. Now it may just be my alcohol damaged memory playing tricks, but I'm sure the airport transfer used to go down this route when we first came to Icmeler.
First stop was at the Olive Tree restaurant and shop. This really is a picturesque spot with the stream flowing through it and I couldn't resist having a paddle in it. Their shop sells some really nice stuff if you are looking for an unusual gift or to treat yourself.
A quick stop at the rock tombs then on to Akyaka to join the river cruise. Unfortunately there was not a lot of wildlife to be seen, this may be a result of the number of boats at this time of year. I did see a turtle under water though! Now I am certain there were 5 people on that boat who said they were going to swim in the river. So, I thought, I would be brave (or stupid) and go first to encourage the others. In I jumped and, once my senses had recovered enough, I looked up to see everyone glued to their seats. Mrs Toon was asking me if it was cold and it was a while before I could get my breath back to answer. Please do not let this put you off, it only lasts a few seconds and it's a shame to go there and not do it! Headed back to Akyaka where Mrs Toon got a little upset with the boat driver as he took us out to sea a little, which was very choppy. She does not like boats at all!
Nice lunch in town followed by a dip in the sea, which was very warm and really shallow.
Back to the jeeps then off to Havuzlu Bahce and its amazing pool. This really is a beautiful place where you could spend all day!
Got back to Icmeler around 17:30 and dropped off at our hotel.
I had planned to make this a photo Blog, but my phone was reporting a flat battery early on. I think it may have been due to over heating. I will upload the camera pictures when I get home.
This was a real tan booster but I did burn my knees!
No sooner got back to our room than Mrs Toon said the day had really put her in the mood for a Jeep Safari. So got that to look forward to.
Predictably we had a quiet night in the hotel and Mrs Toon was in bed early, leaving me to top up on a few vodkas before bed.
Good Night All

Tim

Day 10 Good Morning Readers
My knees are stinging a bit this morning after the jeep ride yesterday.
After breakfast went for our usual stroll around town, well my stroll and Mrs Toon's scoot. Called into Sugar's for a nice big cup of tea and a chat. Then into the ICR office to book a Jeep Safari for Wednesday, Mrs Toon is very excited about this!
Had a little lunch at the hotel then, when Mrs Toon went for her siesta, I went for a shave. You really do feel good after this and us men need a bit of pampering now and again.
Called into Havana for a few Efes and to use their WiFi. It really gets hot in the afternoon here. Once I had finished, I tried to sneak past the 3 Bells without being seen, but failed completely and was dragged in for another drink and a chat with Ercan.
Once I got back to the hotel I had a few drinks and a dip in the pool to cool down before a quick shower, changed and and off to Fryer Tucks/Travellers Rest for an early dinner of fish and chips which, I must say, was better than many I have had in the UK.
Following this we took a stroll down the canal to the new stalls and was pleasantly surprised to find them quite busy, which is probably due to the school holidays. Mrs Toon got some nice fridge magnets (4 for 10 lira) and I got a good deal on 2 belts (a much more satisfying shopping experience than the sandals episode).
Back to the hotel for the usual then off to bed to chill.
Nighty Night!

Tim

Day 11
Well, the stinging has gone from my knees. Really need to watch that on the Jeep Safari on Wednesday. Let's face it, no one will see my knees in the UK so don't need a tan there!
Was discussing with Mrs Toon where to go for our post breakfast walk and she is hinting at the new cafe up the hill on the main road to coming into Icmeler. Now you need to remember, it's Mrs Toon on her scooter and me walking. Maybe tomorrow?
Were passing Buffalo later and Mrs Toon decided she fancied an English breakfast (more like lunch) so in we went. Now it's not the greatest, but for 3tl was fine and filled that desire.
There's a lot of people leaving the hotel today. It's surprising how quickly you become attached to people.
We ate at the hotel today to save a bit of money. Nice to know they are consistent and serving Chicken or Chicken again.
Wandered down to the 3 Bells for a couple of drinks and Mrs Toon decided we were eating there tomorrow. No complaints from me!
I had been intending to go to Tandoori Sizzler tomorrow, but I honestly don't think I could do it justice in this heat as my appetite has shrunk. Definitely next year!
I think I'm getting used to the heat, as I woke through the night and tuned the aircon off!
Hopefully a bit more to report tomorrow folks!

Tim

Day 12

That sad time is fast approaching! Just wish I could win the lottery so we could stay here 6 months a year.
Anyway, down to breakfast. I think the best bit of this hotel is that I can sit down and have a nice mug of coffee and an omelette brought to me. I know, I'm easily pleased.
Went for our normal Icmeler safari. Mrs Toon decided she wanted a hat, a bit late but better late than never eh? Decided on a nice one and then encountered a very unpleasant salesman who started getting a bit nasty when I wouldn't meet his price. Was about to walk away when is colleague came out and accepted my offer. That's one shop we won't be going back to in a hurry. Walked around the village and called into the 3 (4) Bells for a cup of tea.
Got Mrs Toon settled for her siesta then back for my afternoon duties and a few beers.
When I went back to the hotel I got chatting and completely lost track of time until Mrs T showed up to see if I had got lost ;-) and to remind me I needed to get changed as we were going out.
Down to the 3 Bells where I had the most amazing T Bone steak. So good I had to go and applaud the kitchen team. Oh and Mrs Toon's house special Kebab was excellent too. Booked a table for our last night on Wednesday. I know this will end in tears!
Over did the vodkas a bit back at the hotel, either that or there was more vodka in them. But went to bed very happy with a bit of a wobble!

Tim
Last edited by toonarmybarmy on 31 Jul 2012 12:09, edited 13 times in total.
toonarmybarmy

Advertisement

Re: Toonarmybarmy Tim Siesta Hotel Icmeler 2012

Postby JT » 21 Jul 2012 13:00

Looking forward to this
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby teac532s » 21 Jul 2012 13:28

Me too. Keep the blog going please , I miss the place.
teac532s

Postby Teeeny2222 » 21 Jul 2012 17:39

Thanks for taking time out to report, can I just ask did you pay for extra leg room on Jet2 or are the normal seats ok. Looking forward to lots more reading. Enjoy your hol.
Teeeny2222

Postby Fanny » 21 Jul 2012 18:07

looking forward to this too :wink:
Fanny

Postby helen2904 » 22 Jul 2012 05:16

Really looking forward for this too.

Helen
helen2904

Advertisement

Postby toonarmybarmy » 22 Jul 2012 12:49

Teeeny2222 wrote:Thanks for taking time out to report, can I just ask did you pay for extra leg room on Jet2 or are the normal seats ok. Looking forward to lots more reading. Enjoy your hol.

These were standard seats. I am am 6ft with dodgy knees and was comfortable for a change.

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby Scotsmiss » 22 Jul 2012 13:07

Hi can you advise if the stories aboutjet2 seats no longer reclining are true? Oreo they only slightly recline?
Scotsmiss

Postby toonarmybarmy » 22 Jul 2012 13:19

Scotsmiss wrote:Hi can you advise if the stories aboutjet2 seats no longer reclining are true? Oreo they only slightly recline?

They do not recline at all. This is part of the reason there is more leg room as there is no mechanism. They are, basically, a moulded plastic seat with nice padding.

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby sunlover loch lomond » 22 Jul 2012 13:49

Please keep them coming. It sure brightens a dull,cold Sunday afternoon. We also flew with Jet2 for the first time this year and were suitably impressed.
sunlover loch lomond

Postby Scotsmiss » 22 Jul 2012 13:54

Ok thanks Toon, good to know.
Scotsmiss

Advertisement

Postby neecy » 22 Jul 2012 17:27

keep it going toon missing icmeler so much its great to hear from someone who is there and enjoying it.
neecy

Postby Keith » 23 Jul 2012 12:12

Hi Tim
Sounds as though you are all having a great time. Wasnt expecting anything different from that really, you like me love the place. We also spent a few good nights in your favourite bar last year. Interested in mobility scooter as Anne and Graeme are coming with us this year. His MS is making it much harder for him to walk about so was talking about hiring a scooter. I had seen on the forum Sugar was hiring them out so would be greatful for any info. We will be out on 17 August for two weeks. Staying at Prestij as usual. Cheers mate, oh and dont drink all the EFES!! :D
Last edited by Keith on 23 Jul 2012 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Keith

Postby Teeeny2222 » 23 Jul 2012 14:05

Thanks Tim for the info on the Jet2 seats, love reading your blogs sounds like a good time is being had by all. Look forward to reading more of the next few days activities, enjoy your Hols. :D
Teeeny2222

Postby toonarmybarmy » 23 Jul 2012 19:33

Keith wrote:Hi Tim
Sounds as though you are all having a great time. Wasnt expecting anything different from that really, you like me love the place. We also spent a few good nights in your favourite bar last year. Interested in mobility scooter as Anne and Graeme are coming with us this year. His MS is making it much harder for him to walk about so was talking about hiring a scooter. I had seen on the forum Sugar was hiring them out so would be greatful for any info. We will be out on 17 August for two weeks. Staying at Prestij as usual. Cheers mate, oh and dont drink all the EFES!! :D

Hi Keith you did mention Graeme's problem but still sad to hear! Anyway, If you search "Buffalo Bar Icmeler" on Facebook you can pre book there, which is a good idea. It's £10 a day if you book for 7 days or more and £100 deposit. If you want any more specific information sent me an email.

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby toonarmybarmy » 23 Jul 2012 19:34

Keith wrote:Hi Tim

Hi Keith you did mention Graeme's problem but still sad to hear! Anyway, If you search "Buffalo Bar Icmeler" on Facebook you can pre book there, which is a good idea. It's £10 a day if you book for 7 days or more and £100 deposit. If you want any more specific information sent me an email.

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Advertisement

Postby dragon » 23 Jul 2012 21:39

Hi Keith
I had problems with my scooter a couple of weeks ago and hired a scooter from Sugar for a week whilst mine was sorted. My OH just went along and hired the scooter, as you already know there is a £100 deposit and for 7 days it is £10 a a day, for less than 7 days the charge is £12 a day. If both of the scooters are already hired out you still have the option of http://www.marmarisrentals.co.uk/portab ... cooter.php and their scooters are 200 lira for 7 days.
dragon

Postby toonarmybarmy » 24 Jul 2012 07:11

dragon wrote:Hi Keith
I had problems with my scooter a couple of weeks ago and hired a scooter from Sugar for a week whilst mine was sorted. My OH just went along and hired the scooter, as you already know there is a £100 deposit and for 7 days it is £10 a a day, for less than 7 days the charge is £12 a day. If both of the scooters are already hired out you still have the option of http://www.marmarisrentals.co.uk/portab ... cooter.php and their scooters are 200 lira for 7 days.

Sugar told me he had 6 scooters and the deposit with Marmaris Rentals is half the price of the scooter!

Tim
toonarmybarmy

Postby Keith » 24 Jul 2012 11:27

Thanks dragon for the info. I would rather give a bit of business to folk in Icmeler as we are staying in the town, and we have been into the Buffalo bar on many occasions. But i have copied the address for the Marmaris place just in case.
Keith

Postby Keith » 24 Jul 2012 13:05

Are the boys with you this year Tim ?
Keith

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers