Let the holiday commence

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Let the holiday commence

Postby Sami » 19 May 2018 10:46

Well, good morning everybody. Arrived safe and sound at London Heathrow Terminal 2. Check in process quick and easy with a very helpful gentleman to help me too. Through security, quick and easy and out into the main terminal where I am nicely seated in the Fullers pub having the most divine breakfast. Glass of prosecco and why not! Avocado on toast topped with poached egg, cherry tomatoes and chilli oil. Delicious! Not boarding for quite a while yet so a couple more glasses may be consumed. Arrival time in Dalaman is tonight so will post more then.
Sami

Advertisement

Re: Let the holiday commence

Postby Sami » 21 May 2018 08:41

Firstly I have to say Turkish airlines is one of the best airlines I have flown with. Staff are polite, helpful and very regimental in their routine but all in all excellent. First leg of the journey to Istanbul actually went very fast. Getting from international to domestic was easy and second leg was also over quickly.
Arrival at Dalaman and collected luggage with little drama and then found my way to the ICR desk. As always friendly and sent me to my bus. It was pretty much full but squeezed in at the back. And we wait.
And we wait. People get off to smoke. People get off and get a taxi because they are fed up of waiting. About an hour later than I had anticipated we left. A comfort stop on the way... This was unexpected as we were running so late however I do understand that the driver might need a coffee and the loo. A few drop offs later and I arrive at Sun Village at midnight. To say I'm tired is an understatement. So it's water and bed.
First full day yesterday and the sun decided to hide a lot of the day but it was very warm. When the sun came out it was quite intensive. I even got in the pool so it MUST have been warm!! Well time flew and before I knew it, beer o'clock had arrived. Oh, the first Efes in a long time. Sweet!
I had a few during the afternoon, followed by a couple of vodka and cokes. I had had some eggs on toast in the morning and my whole day cost me 129 lira. Which is not bad considering what I had. Decided to eat at Sidik's and was greeted warmly, like an old friend. I had a glass of red wine and lamb shish kebab, cost me I think 56 lira. Working on a 5.7 exchange. It is really not bad at all.
And so Monday starts. It's breakfast time and a walk into town I think.
Sami

Postby Sami » 21 May 2018 08:59

Forgot to mention, I have the place to myself. Absolutely no one here at Sun Village. Peace and quiet for sure.
Sami

Postby kez&sue » 21 May 2018 21:47

Hi glad you made it there safe and sound looking forward to all your updates, I cannot believe that there's no other guests, people saying it seems busier, have a great time
kez&sue

Postby ScouseFitz » 22 May 2018 12:01

Looking forward to reading the blog, Sami. Hope you have a great time. Like Biddy said, the weather here being so good is making me yearn for a pint in the Bells.
ScouseFitz

Postby Sami » 22 May 2018 17:20

Popped into town along the dry canal yesterday. I was going to take some pictures but have to say it looks baron, nothing of any interest, piles of rubble everywhere. The odd horse in a field. Went to see the always lovely Michelle in the ICR office to chat and book my Turkish bath and boat trip. Chatted for about 2 hours in the end and it was so good to catch up after such a long time. Back to apartment to sunbathe the day away. Its a little cloudy but when the sun comes out its hot! A few beers in the afternoon, very nice. Ate at Lighthouse which was fantastic. Had a traditional Turkish dish which had steak strips and yoghurt, it was delicious. After a bit of searching, I found my dear friend Ozzy. A glass of wine and a catch up. Was great seeing him look so well. Well, sounds like such a subdued evening. Till I get to Scotia Bar. This wasn't in the plan but ended up drinking copious amounts of vodka, up dancing like a loon and taxi home.
Awoke with a start at 10.30 this morning, Turkish bath at 11.30. I tell you, nothing like it to clear a hangover! It was fabulous. Back to the sunbed and lazed around all day. Having a beer now before deciding where to eat tonight, decisions decisions..
Sami

Advertisement

Postby denningj » 22 May 2018 23:52

Hi sami where did you go for turkish bath?
denningj

Postby Sami » 23 May 2018 18:26

Booked it through ICR. Think it was Prestige Hotel. It was amazing. One of the best massages I have ever had.
So last night I ate at Ozzy's restaurant and had the beyti kebab which is minced meat in a wrap but then cut into pieces, covered in like a salsa tomato sauce and served with garlic dip. Chips and rice along side. Was very very nice. Some red wine later and I bimbled off home, only to be seen by Daisy bar manager, which is where I had my vodka episode. I apologised for any bad behaviour. He said there was none, he was worried about me getting home, oops!!
A day spent in the very hot sun today. A longer walk into town around the old village, down to the beach, find the ATM machines and head back for a beer or two. Hmm Sidik's again tonight me thinks.
Sami

Postby Sami » 25 May 2018 17:15

I did eat at Sidik's again and had beef casserole, two glasses of wine and it was still only 59 TL. Amazing prices. Yesterday, I found that I was getting pretty low on funds and contemplated what to do for dinner. Bank of Dad came to the rescue but needed to get down to the cash machines again. To be honest, made me get off my butt and do something. Did the same longer walk into town, stopped off to see Michelle at ICR to find out my pick up time....sorry....what 07.40. Are you kidding me!
Jesus that's an early one. Wish I wasn't going, it's gone too quick.
Stopped off in Light House for a couple of draft Efes. Very cold, very nice indeed. Slowly walked back to chill a little more before changing for dinner. Ate at Light House again having the traditional dish I had previously. It's so delicious. A few vodkas consumed in Daisy bar and saw a fantastic show, a guy doing cocktail making but throwing the bottles all around. It really was very clever.
Today, boat trip. Picked up at 9.00 but ended up being on the bus for an hour before getting to the boat. This was not the drivers fault, it came down to people who obviously had no emergency in getting to their pick up point in time. And not even a sorry once he did find them. The trip itself was lovely as usual, all the usual stops, swimming breaks etc. Lunch was also lovely. And so it comes to my last night. Can't believe it has gone so quick. Early night for me tonight and certainly not so many vodkas!!
Sami

Postby kez&sue » 25 May 2018 19:30

Oh my god I can't believe that your holiday is coming to an end , thank you for the updates , I fly next Thursday I'm just hoping the forecasted rain stays away, have a safe journey home
kez&sue

Postby Sami » 26 May 2018 08:14

Had a bit of rain last night but not much. On my way to the airport and I can't believe it's over so quickly. Looking at coming back i October for my birthday. It's been lovely this week and though very quiet, I've totally relaxed. Once again, lovely to see some familiar faces. Until October, hopefully, bye for now.
Sami

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers