Scouse Fitz back in town.

Blogs written by holidaymakers to Turkey. Please add your name and destination to your blog's subject line.

Moderator: blondie

Re: Scouse Fitz back in town.

Postby Sami » 30 Jul 2013 13:23

As always Scouse the blogs make for excellent reading and your way with words has me chuckling at work when I should be..... well, working!
Glad you enjoyed Sidik's, isn't it fantastic there. If you pop in again, say hi to Eddie for me, if you say I said hello chicken he will know. You should try Chef if not done already, such good food and service. :D Say hi to Josh for me in there! LOL :lol:
Which hotel in Surrey was the wedding at that you went to? I live in Surrey so wondered if you were near me at the time.

Anyway, keep em up Scouse coz I can't wait for the next instalment. My next one will come in October. :D
Sami

Advertisement

Postby Mandy Mo » 30 Jul 2013 14:57

Hi Scouse - loving your blogs. they keep me going until we are finally back on 6/7th September. Can't wait :D 8) . Which watering hole is it you run in good old scouse land? my bro in law and his wife live in widness and often get the bus into town for the evening. they might know you. i can tell them about you if you're one of the one's they visit. enjoy the rest of your stay and don't give up the blogging - it keeps us from going insane!!!!! cheers xx :lol:
Mandy Mo

Postby molly malone » 30 Jul 2013 20:05

Thanks Scouse Fitz for your excellent blog, looking forward to the next update. I just knew your money would be waiting for you at the Three Bells, they are great people in there. Please tell Mehmet his Scottish friends say hello. :)
molly malone

Postby ScouseFitz » 30 Jul 2013 20:28

Thanks folks, glad you're enjoying em. Sami, we were in Cobham at Woodlands Park. Lovely weekend. And I'm reliably informed I had a great time!! I'll pass on your greetings to all. Mandy, it's Liverpool One Bridewell, the old police station in Argyle Street, near Liverpool One shops. Molly, you're right, great guys at 3b's. thanks again for your comments. I'll try and keep up the jokes if I can. And hopefully I'll finish it this time!! Cheers.
ScouseFitz

Postby JT » 31 Jul 2013 14:48

Sorry for off topic post but here we go Fitz I found it for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_66wE3ehg
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Sami » 01 Aug 2013 09:35

ScouseFitz wrote:Thanks folks, glad you're enjoying em. Sami, we were in Cobham at Woodlands Park. Lovely weekend. And I'm reliably informed I had a great time!! I'll pass on your greetings to all. Mandy, it's Liverpool One Bridewell, the old police station in Argyle Street, near Liverpool One shops. Molly, you're right, great guys at 3b's. thanks again for your comments. I'll try and keep up the jokes if I can. And hopefully I'll finish it this time!! Cheers.

Ah Cobham, yes that's not far from me at all. Woodlands Park Hotel is gorgeous, I think its classed as Stoke D'Abernon there rather than Cobham, very posh!!! Thanks for passing on my greetings and I'll be back in October. :D
Sami

Advertisement

Postby ScouseFitz » 01 Aug 2013 11:25

Day errrrm, 5?

Woke up to find it a nice sunny day for a change! Seriously, it's hotter than Satan's central heating here, so chilled by the pool for a couple of hours, can't sleep well on the sofa bed either, so had a snooze on the sun bed, caught up with the blog, and then, as promised, I trotted off to hire a Segway. 20 lira for an hour from the excursion place next to Sony's in the old village. I scooted back to Rhodes, to find the youngun desperate for a go on it, so after a quick scoot round outside the apartments, she rode it round to Club Sun Village, to show it off to our friends there. They come with two power settings, (the segways that is, not the friends!) slow and fast, or daughter and dad! My 19 year old was somewhat unimpressed at the sight of her late 40s dad, tootling around the place like a superpowered fool. Always good to embarrass the kids tho, eh? So, youngun finally decided to disembark, leaving Dad to explore the area at the highest possible speeds, ie about 4 mile an hour! I scooted (segwayed?) round to Cafe Rose for a cold one, thirsty work this, and sat under the vines chilling and putting pics of 'The Hog' as its now known on Facebook, much to the bemusement of my friends. Sadly, the hour came to an end, and I returned to base laughing like a big kid at Xmas. It was great fun, and we'll DEFFO be hiring them again before we go home.

Had some lunch, more pool action, and went off to change some money, and just by chance stumbled across a place called The Three Somethingorother! Nice place. Quick pint then back to change.

We decided that we'd try as many new places for food as we could this year, so tonight's choice is Hanedan, Icmeler's No 1, according to Trip Advisor. Now, like every chef and pub and restaurant owner, I have mixed feelings about TA, but hey, number 1 is number 1, so off we head. Bumped into a lovely couple from the apartments there, Sheila and Mike. Sheila is biddy on the forum. They seemed to be enjoying their food, so we were looking forward to this. And boy, it was fantastic, absolutely lovely. Two courses of traditional Turkish treats. Mezzes, flat bread, dips, barbecued liver with a small spice mix to sprinkle over yourself, followed by Adanna kebabs all round, extra garlic yoghurt dip to offset the chilli for the youngun. We loved it, and again, we'll be back. We were served by Ahmed, who does the all time funniest Scouse accent I've heard since the days of Brookside. Absolutely hilarious, it had me literally in tears. He claimed he's never been to Liverpool. I didn't believe him then, and I don't believe him now. What a funny guy. Icmeler's very own Harry Enfield Scouser!! EH! EH!! CALM DOWN!! CALM DOWN!! Brilliant.

(I've just read this back, let me just explain.....the spice mix is not to sprinkle over yourself!! That would be ridiculous!!) But I'm sure you get the gist!!!

Return to base, quick nightcap courtesy of a certain Mr Daniel, and to sleep the sleep of a man who's far too hot and slightly uncomfortable. More of this Yadda Yadda rubbish on the morrow.
ScouseFitz

Postby shelly » 01 Aug 2013 13:57

scouse about the boys toys (the segway ) you have said its for a hr, can you take it much any where ie along the beach path to mamaris , as we have never made it there yet on foot ? those bars get in the way ..
shelly

Postby ScouseFitz » 01 Aug 2013 14:33

Day 6. Already?

Well, woke up this morning with bite marks all over me. I look like I've been tackled by Luis Suarez! So as well as my burnt back now shedding skin like a snake in a hurry, my body now resembles a dot to dot map of Europe!! Ah well, reach for the lemon antiseptic/cologne/paint stripper/brake fluid, and we're ready for a good haggling sesh up at the market. Had a fresh fruit salad for brekkie, then we grab four bottles of water from the freezer and we're off.

We arrive at the market and its immediately clear. Icmeler is lots quieter this year. We already thought so, but the market confirms it. Where as usual we're all packed in like tinned sardines, this year there's room to move. It's sad really, I feel for the people trying to make the best of their business, and the people who simply can't afford to come on holiday this year. I feel lucky that we managed to get here at all. theres been much scrimping and saving to get here, but Im glad we're here, and we're determined to make the most of it. Austerity measures. It's tough everywhere I guess.

We stroll around in search of Fred Perry shirts, some lemon pepper and a large jar of local Orange honey. The weaponry stall still seems to be doin a roaring trade. This years special? Buy one get one free on knuckle dusters. Jeez! Why? God knows. As usual, sadly, it's Brits at the front of the queue. Well, I wish them well getting through customs. Fred Perry man makes a good attempt at a rip off, swapping large shirts for small while I'm not looking. Sadly for him, I'm wise to his tricks. Got three for £20. Bargain, eh? Now, I don't wanna speak out of turn here, and I really wouldn't wanna get anyone in trouble, but I've got a sneaking suspicion they're not genuine!! Don't tell anyone I said though!

We head home, for once bracelet-free, but armed with everything else on the shopping list, dump the shopping in the room, and head for a nice cooling dip, followed by yet another cracking lunch. The menu here features all the usual gubbins, but it's fresh, reasonably priced, and very tasty. Lovely. And as ever at Rhodes, great service. Couple of beers to follow, a swim or three, and it's time for a shave, cos my chin seems to be sprouting wire wool. I head off to the barbers near that Three Bells place you may remember be mentioning, ahem, and have another great pampering. First words out of my mouth when I arrive? "NO THREADING, THANKS!!"

After a brief sojourn into the local hostelry, where I'm happy to discover they sell cold beer, it's back home to ask the girls where they wanna eat tonight. "THREE BELLS" they unanimously shout! Haha! Result!! So it's back to 'the office' for a Korean treat or two. I had the Sweet and Sour Chicken. Beautiful. Can't remember what the Korean name is, but it was really good. Again.

We head home, after a quick call home to mum in law, who's been to check on our house (2years ago when we were here at Moonlight, we had a massive flood at home, £25,000+ worth of damage and a full year to rebuild, so we always worry when we're away, even though we ALWAYS turn the water off as we leave!!). All's good with 'Dis-Graceland', so we amble back to Rhodes for a game of pool or two, a quick nightcap or three and hopefully a good kip.

Another great day, with my great family. Only one week to go, then it's back to seven days a week for me. Ah well. I'll make the most of it, rest assured.

So it's goodnight from me, and it's good night from him. Goodnight.
ScouseFitz

Postby ScouseFitz » 01 Aug 2013 14:37

Shelly, you can pretty much take it anywhere. I've seen them on the main roads, on the pathway, and on the back streets. I'd recommend if you're goin all the way to Marmaris, you book em for a couple of hours, and tell them where you're going, so that you can be sure the batteries well charged. Like I say tho, great fun. Enjoy.
ScouseFitz

Postby bobbysgirl » 01 Aug 2013 21:03

Another great blog Fitz with such Liverpuddlian humour. Glad you enjoyed the Segway - a sight for sore eyes I bet!! Do you have shares in the 3 Bells or are you just their best customer during the season!! :lol: Keep enjoying your hols and look forward to the next installment :D
bobbysgirl

Advertisement

Postby Sami » 02 Aug 2013 11:54

Meant to say also Scouse, are you on the top floor to the right so you are right close to the mosque? If so, that was my room the other week. How uncanny! :lol:
Sami

Postby ScouseFitz » 03 Aug 2013 08:36

Day 7. Halfway.

I woke up at 4am, with terrible cramps in one leg (which even as I write this, two days later is still sore) that I can't seem to shake. I lay there til 7 trying to ease it, then I decide the only way to get rid is to walk it off. So at 8am, I leave the apartments and head off for a stroll. I bumped into our friend Dave, who's at Club Sun Village, and we decide a quick coffee is on the cards. So, after half an hour in Dave's company, where he tells me stories of his belly dancing antics at the previous nightsTurkish night, I head off to...well...that's the thing....I don't know where I'm heading off to...I just know that wherever it is, that's where Im heading. The leg starts to feel slightly more like it actually belongs to me, and slightly less like its made of steel, so I convince myself the walk is doing me good. I wind my way through the streets and down towards the beach. Icmeler is waking up, the shops are still closed, but the bars and cafes are just yawning and sretching into the sunlight. There's a few people hosing things down. In Icmeler, no matter what time of day, there's ALWAYS someone hosing something down!!! God help em, if they ever introduced a hosepipe ban!!

I stop by the ICR office to speak to JT on Skype. He tells me that my penance for not doing my blog on a daily basis, is to drink a whole pint of his home brew ginger beer! Well, I'm quite fond of my liver, AND the lining of my stomach, so I decline his suggestion in typical Scouse manner! (Im sure you can imagine it, so I won't type it here!!). I ask him who's co-ordinating the bus pick up for the boat trip on Sunday, and his answer? "You are!!" Oh...erm...ok, well that wasn't quite the answer I was expecting!! And here's me thinking I'm on holiday!! So, Michelle gives me the details of who to pick up, and where from, and I head off, liver intact. Ish.

It's lovely and cool, tho I'm told there's a scorcher of a day ahead. I pop into a supermarket down near the beach to pick up some breakfast-a bottle of water and a banana, and decide on a destination. Marmaris. On foot.

I've never walked the path to Marmaris. In fact, I've never even been to Marmaris. To be honest, I don't know why, but I've never even thought of going to Marmaris. But me and Metal Mickeys leg have made up our minds. And Marmaris it is. So I walk down to the beach, which is quiet and empty, except for a few of our Eastern European budgie smuggling comrades. I have visions of these 30 stone men saying to their wives, as they put their Speedos on " Do I look ok in these, love?" And their wives saying, "Dar Dimitiri, you look Fantastiski!!" (As you can guess, I dont speak Russian) Take it from me, Dimitri, don't listen to your wife, she's either lying, or she's been at the Smirnoff again. You look ridiculous. The sight of these gentlemen, oiling themselves up for the day is not a pretty one either. It's putting me off my banana!!

I head off on the coastal path. It's lovely. There's some sections which are shaded with trees, and there's some more open sections, which are perfect for a quick dip, or to get some good pictures. I reckon a Segway would be perfect way of doing the journey too. The path is spotless, cos each hotel and bar along the way has someone cleaning their section. I pass some lovely looking hotels along there. Lovely looking, but I could never stay there. They just seem a little disconnected. They're neither icmeler nor marmaris, and without a long walk, there's nowhere to go, other than the sea. I bump into a man selling grapes he's probably robbed from someone's garden. Doesn't speak much English, but he's determined to get some of my money. And I mean determined. Without further ado, he loads a bag full of grapes and flashes me ten fingers. "No money" I reply. So he starts frisking me!!! Checking my pockets! He pats my pockets and says "money" , "no, cigarettes" I reply. So, anyway I give him a fag, and then demand fruit from him! Tables turned. Seems fair to me. I get what by his reckoning is 7lr worth of grapes and cherries. He gets one ciggie. You can buy a pack for 6.50lr, so I reckon I won. To be honest, I'd have gone easier on him if he wasn't wearing a Man Utd shirt. On I walk, chomping on my fruit, I pass the Dolphin Park, which juts out into the sea just outside Marmaris, I pass some lovely looking beach areas, some lizards, including one that's dangling from a cat's mouth! Finally I reach the end of the bay at Marmaris. WARNING: Segway riders! This is as far as you can go, from here on in, there's no wheeled vehicles allowed on the path. By now, the heat is stifling, so I stroll on in search of the boat taxi home. I pass some nice looking hotels where the signs and menus are all in various Scandinavian lingo. One of the seemingly thousands of security men on the beach (why so many?), shows me to the taxi, and I clamber aboard with a Swedish couple and their baby daughter, who's called, of all things, Charleen!!! They must watch reruns of Neighbours in Sweden or something. They've probably got a dog back home called Bouncer! It's a lovely 25 min tootle with a refreshing breeze back to Icmeler. 10 lira. Bargain. I use the last of my phones battery taking some beautiful pics, clamber off in Icmeler, and first head to 'you know where' for a coffee, arriving back at Rhodes just 4hrs after I left. I'm exhausted by this point, so spend the rest of the day by the pool, and in the 'bar area' recovering!! It was a lovely walk, though.

Tandoori Sizzler. We've never been, and I've heard so much about it, so decide to try it. We arrive. The place is heaving, but I'm confused. It seems that everyone is waiting for their food. Some of them not so patiently. There's a slightly chaotic feel to the place. The waiters, dressed in a wide variety of shirts advertising various different restaurants, scurry and hurry about like they'd get sacked if they stand still. Considering there doesn't seem to be much coming out of the kitchen, it's strange, to say the least. Our order is taken, from a menu that contains NO PRICES, (that always gets me suspicious) drinks arrive, and before you can say "where's my starter", the starters arrive. From here everything speeds up. No sooner are we done with the starters, the mains arrive! I order the crispy chicken with pancakes and plum sauce, which arrives as some not very crispy chicken in the sauce. I ask for the pancakes, and I'm told they're chopped up in the sauce with the chicken!! Eh? Why? They bring me some extra pancakes. It was a very average meal, but filled me up, so I dont complain. MrsSF orders the Chicken Biryani, which to be fair, was one of the nicest we've ever tasted. Lovely. There's none of the table side banter you get in most other places. It seems like the customer's role in the deal, is to arrive, order, eat, pay, and leave. From arriving to leaving takes just 54 minutes!! (4 people, 2 courses, and 2 drinks) It takes longer to eat a McDonalds! Not a great experience, just about ok. Sorry Tandoori Sizzler. 5/10. Disappointing, but it got worse when I use the Gents. Sorry, but it's a pretty grim state of affairs, it looked for all the world like I'd walked into a flea circus, I got bored counting the flies when I got to 26!!! In my book, that many flies just means that someone's not cleaning in there. Not good. Not good at all.
Had a quick wander round the bars, watching the same waiters doing the same dances, in the same elaborate array of wacky hairstyles, to the same songs (or should that read song-Country Roads), and head back to the sanctity and sanity of the old village for a nightcap, a game of pool with the youngun, and a sleep.

My leg still hurts.
ScouseFitz

Postby dragon » 03 Aug 2013 10:33

Excellent blog again this year.

We returned from the Rhodes a couple of weeks ago and it is a great place to stay. Bought some lemon pepper as recommended in your blog last year and have just cooked it on chicken, lovely. Also bought sumac but haven't tried that yet. Look forward every day to reading your blog :)
dragon

Postby MARKCAV » 03 Aug 2013 10:40

Such a good walk he did it twice and in very similar fashion both times. Thanks for updates and enjoy the rest of your hols.
MARKCAV

Postby sylvia » 03 Aug 2013 13:32

Great blog thanks for taking the time ,hope your legs better and you enjoy the rest of your hols, i can't wait to read your next blog. :D :D
sylvia

Advertisement

Postby bobbysgirl » 03 Aug 2013 16:06

Just had my daily 'fix' with Fitz reading today's blog. Sorry about the cramp - you need to have a glass of tonic water; drink a bit before turning in for the night and keep the glass to hand during the night as the Quinnine in it cures cramp. It was a safari for you on your walk to Marmaris; glad you enjoyed the experience. Thanks once again thanks for sharing your holiday with us. :D :D
bobbysgirl

Postby ScouseFitz » 05 Aug 2013 10:50

Day 8.

Well, today was Aqua Dream day in the Fitz household. We'd heard that you're not allowed to take your own food or drink with you, so we got up early and stocked up on fresh fruit and eggs, toast and coffee, then headed down for our 9.30 pick up, which bizarrely for Turkey, actually arrived on time!!!!! After picking up a few others we're off, and with every breath, the youngun is getting more excited. Arrived at the top of the hill in Marmaris, to stunning views of the bay. Beautiful views. We joined the queue for 'security', where we were 'processed', bags were checked for food and drink, mug shots taken, fingerprints scanned, and biometric scans of eyeballs taken before we were branded like cows at the market, and finally allowed in. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little here, they just checked our bags, but it did feel like everyone was a suspect!!

In we go, and found ourselves some sunbeds in a great spot overlooking the bay, and directly under the stupidest, maddest, most lunatic 'ride' in the park!! It's called the Kamizake. Now, as a 46 year old with Vertigo, there's no way on earth you'll find me having a go on anything that's named after an ancient Japanese suicide ritual!! No way! So, after a quick mooch round looking at the slides, me and youngun start the fun off. And I mean fun, it's great here. 12 slides in total, all different types and speeds. We had a ball. It was brilliant, and lived up to every expectation of the 12 year old and this 46 year old. We avoided the Kamikaze. I don't want to die.

We lounged around for a spell, before eventually, and predictably, the bar beckoned. Inevitably, it's by no means cheap. A 33cl bottle of Efes was 8lira, compared to an average 7lira for a 50cl bottle in the bars in town. Now I get the whole 'security/suspicion' thing. More slide action followed, and then they turned the slides off for half an hour, so they could switch the 'wave pool' on. Wave pool? Seriously, I can get a bigger 'wave' going by stirring my coffee or just getting a bath!! It's hardly even noticeable. Anyway, the slides come back on, and off we go for more fun. At this point, the dj starts telling us we're about to have a CRRRRRAAAAAZZEEE FOOOOAAAAMMMM PAAARRRTTTTYYYY. We wait in eager anticipation of this incredibly thrilling event. He tells us every two minutes, as he counts down. This is surely going to be the highlight of the day. Finally, the moment arrives. There was foam. Lots of it in fact, but that's about as 'crazy' as it gets. All the kids run over to stand under what is effectively, gallons of shower gel. Photos are taken, a man with a hose washes everyone down, the machine gets switched off, and the 'party', if that's what they call it, is over quicker than you can say "CRRRRRAAAAAZZEEE FOOOOAAAAMMMM PAAARRRTTTTYYYY"!!

Lunch was a couple of pizzas, some water, and a draught beer (cheaper and larger than the Efes, doesn't take me long to suss this stuff out!), in the on site cafe. The cafe's lovely, under shade and jutting out from the top of the hill, with those great views over the bay. I could sit here all day. Lovely, and the pizza was good too. Then it's off back to the slides. Everywhere you here, there are photographers taking your picture, which presumably are available to buy at the bargain knockdown price of £250,000 a pop or something. We posed but had little or no intention of buying them. We lazed around for a spell, had fun in the pools, more rides, and whiled the last couple of hours away having fun.

We neared the end of the day, and we started getting or stuff together for the shuttle back to the apartments. At this point, I stupidly, foolishly mentioned to the youngun, that 'we' hadn't tried the Kamikaze!! I should've kept my stupid Scouse gob shut, cos within minutes I find myself at the top of the stairs to this 'fun' ride, quivering like a jellyfish, and with the trembling lip of someone who regrets doing something extremely stupid, before he's even done it!!! Mother and eldest position themselves with cameras and phones at the ready. I choke back the tears. Finally it's our turn to die. We take our seats on the two seat rubber ring. The 'life'guard tells me I must sit at the front. Cheers, mate. Thanks for that! He can smell my fear. He's loving this. I already don't like him. He pushes us off, and we go flying down, at what seems like 100mph, vertically. I scream like a baby, youngun laughs her head off, and we go hurtling to our demise at the bottom. Okay. Let me just say this. It was absolutely brilliant. And if it weren't for the fact that we were heading for our bus, I'd have stayed on it for hours. Fantastic. It almost cured the vertigo, it was that much fun. Videos were filmed by mum and eldest, and I can't wait to see them on a pc, cos my scream is hilarious, and rapidly turns into riotous laughter! Marvellous. And the real highlight of the day!! We should've gone on that ride first I guess.
We head downstairs to retrieve the balance on our cards. They use a card system for payment. You load money onto the card, and use it for food or drink. Tip: DON'T use a credit/debit card to load the payment card, as you won't get the balance back at the end of the day. While I get the cash back, I notice a beautiful pic of our daughters on the wall, and Mrs SF is dispatched to investigate. It was 10 lira for a large print, and the girl who took it gave us another five different pics for just another 10 lira, so we got 6 great photos for about £7, an absolute bargain. We had a great day there, only £20 each from ICR.

Back to HQ for a beer, swim and to get ready for dinner. Something Turkish is tonights theme, and we've heard lots of great stuff about Nefis Pide, it's local, we're tired, so we stroll round there,starving. Wow is the word. Beautiful. I had the Red Lentil and Mint soup which comes with a wedge of lemon. It was beautiful, and I'll be putting it on my menu as soon as I get home. There were mezzes, cheeses, plates of fresh spinach and rocket with lemon, chicken shish kebab, mince and cheese pides, Adanna kebabs, all washed down with four bottles of water, and it came to 70lira. Nice. Very, very, nice. And recommended.

As Nefis is alcohol free, a pint was in order, so I'll leave it you to guess where we went next!! Then it was back home for a game of pool with my own Hustler, and a good night's sleep.

Another great day.
ScouseFitz

Postby bobbysgirl » 05 Aug 2013 13:17

Well another great blog of your adventure to the Aqua Park. Glad you overcame your fear and enjoyed the Kamikaze. It sounded great fun for all. Thanks for the info :D :D
bobbysgirl

Postby chrada » 05 Aug 2013 20:56

Love reading your blogs, you really should have a career change and write short stories.
chrada

• Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs by Real Holidaymakers