For all you holiday chat and to keep in touch with each other.
GOSSIP or slating of bars or workers in them is strictly forbidden
Advertising of travel agencies forbidden.
Advertising of Icmeler businesses forbidden.
Post a reply

06 Nov 2008 08:07

Pauline, I am also working over Xmas and New Year, but I am trying to get 1st January off for an Annual Leave day. Fingers crossed.

06 Nov 2008 08:57

I will keep my fingers crossed for us both as i have requested New Years Eve off :D

Pauline :D

06 Nov 2008 09:10

I have tried for New Years Eve too, but if the worst comes to the worst and I have to work it, at least I will be home by 7pm, plenty of time for me to bring in a Scottish Hogmanay :lol:

something different

07 Nov 2008 14:55

Hi all
There are two things I look forward to every year one is Icmeler of cause
secondly our trip to London for the march past,we have done this for several years now and I feel so proud standing among the Chelsea pensioners the Ghurkas and many more.The atmosphere is fantastic all nationalities and when Big Ben strikes for the two minutes silence believe me it is silent.
I am a member of COFEPOW,Children oF the Far East Prisoners of War
and we have raised money for a building dedicated to these men at The National Arboretum in Derbyshire, the Arboretum is a beautiful place.
My husband never new his father( they never saw one another)but through the internet and army records he has details of where his Dad served he also knows where he is buried and someone from COFEPOW went out to Sandakan and kindly took a picture of his grave.He was also able to get copies of his Dad's medals which he will wear with immense pride on Sunday

Do hope I haven't bored you it's something different to read about
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

07 Nov 2008 16:05

That's a very lovely and touching story, Wimpy. It's nice that he now at least has something with a connection to his father.

thanks

07 Nov 2008 16:19

Thank you Blondie
My Mick knew nothing about his father's family but I have been doing his family tree and now he feels that he has some history.
Regards Wyn

07 Nov 2008 17:47

Wimpy, My husband is of Irish descent and never knew his grandparents (he is the youngest of a very large family) who came from Galway to England when they were just married.

He searched for his family tree and finally found a second cousin in Co Wicklow who had been researching and was quite an expert.

To cut a long story short he said that he had found out that my husband, Joe had 2 uncles who had died in WW1 and were only 19 & 21 years old I think and they were not on our local cenotaph because the authorities said that they were not born locally as the family was from Ireland..

Well my husband looked up in the records and 1901 census and found that they were born in our village after all. We finally, after approx 90 years of being unrecognised had their names engraved on the cenotaph. Every Remembrance Sunday we now go to the service in the town hall square and it is very moving, there are so many people there now it is increasing every year.

Not only old soldiers from WW1 & 2 but young men who have been injured in the Falklands and Iraq march proudly.

We are so happy that at last 2 young lads who paid the ultimate price have finally been recognised

07 Nov 2008 18:09

Hi Skilly,
When the march is over we always make our to the Garden of Rememberance(Westminster Abbey) I will put two crosses there for you also
do you know what regiment they where in(that's if you don't mind)and pm me with their names and I'll take a photo of them(again that's if you want to)
I always put a cross on for someone in the USA.
Regards Wyn

07 Nov 2008 18:26

Skilly
Forgot to say we leave early in the morning so will take the chance and put crosses on for you if not heard from you .Hope that's ok
Regards Wyn

07 Nov 2008 18:36

Thanks Wimpy I have PM'd you, cheers :D

08 Nov 2008 17:37

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:26 pm Post subject: John Prescott - Class System and Me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone watching this programme?
Some fascinating stuff is being revealed.

Prescott was asking this chav estate girl what her class was and she responded "middle class", to which John replied: " I would have said your were working class"................and she says "No I am not working class!! I can't be I've never worked!!!!!!!!"

sandybeach

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies can one of the moderators move to the non-Icmeler thread.
Cheers

09 Nov 2008 12:34

http://shanemcdonald.com/laughs/l-thought-test.html

Bit of fun on Sunday afternoon.
Also browse the site for other pieces of humour.

Gene

09 Nov 2008 12:38

:D Very funny :D Gene mind you some of my results weren't what I would have expected. Though some were spot on.

Lynda

10 Nov 2008 16:28

Just been reading this thread, very interesting to hear what everyone else is doing. I have finished my Christmas shopping, the only drawback to that is I keep seeing more things I know the grandkids would like so keep on adding to the pile. Am now half way through the christmas cards, a job I really hate! Once Christmas is over the only thing then is to count the weeks till May when it is back to Icmeler, although next year will be a lot more exciting as by the time we come back we will be Great Grandparents for the first time, can't wait. Biggest problem I have with that is Grandad does not want to know what it is (I know!!!!) so how can I buy things in the right colour without him finding out. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

10 Nov 2008 19:49

Lock him in a cupboard and don't let him out until the pirate boat trip next May

11 Nov 2008 10:06

Dont think he appreciated that!

11 Nov 2008 18:59

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 02:58 pm Post subject: barry manilow

Just thought I would let you all know I am off to see Barry Manilow 6 dec and 8 dec and can't wait, i have been a fan for 30 years and just wanted to share that with you, I even had a barry tattoo done in icmeler in july.

Colette
Admin

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 03:07 pm Post subject:

hiya

As we are trying to keep all the Non Icmeler posts together please continue on this link

http://www.icmeleronline.com/forum/view ... &start=100

Thanks

Col

ICR Admin.

admin
Site Admin

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 06:57 pm Post subject:

We are going to see him at the Las Vegas Hilton on the 21st November so I will tell him to keep a look out for you in Manchester Elayne.

I will be the one wearing the purple feather boa and Sharon will have the pink one.

I bet Gene wishes he was going he could have got away with murder in Las Vegas.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

admin
Site Admin

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 06:58 pm Post subject:

Moving this to the winter chat thread in case Gene would like to comment

bazza

11 Nov 2008 19:15

oh my god admin you are barry fans, where you been hiding, i did vegas a few years back it is fantastic you will love it. my tatoo is off an 80's album, i scanned it into my pc and printed it off and took it to icmeler in july and have it on top of my right leg, i love it sooooo much, i can go to bed every night with bazza now.

11 Nov 2008 20:15

Seen Barry a few times in Vegas now and we are old hands at it.

Also going to see the Jersey Boys at the Pallazo but thats about it as nothing much changed as in shows since last year.

Oh will probably do the Rat Pack again.

11 Nov 2008 20:16

we are old hands at it.

yep :lol: :lol:
Post a reply