euro or sterling cheques

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

euro or sterling cheques

Postby dusty » 21 Aug 2009 11:13

this queation may have cropped up a few times but with the euro being so low is is worth while going for euros that sterling as a grudge paying commision on sterling cheques here and in turkey can anyone help with my demlemlia
thanks dusty x x
dusty

Advertisement

Re: euro or sterling cheques

Postby Sue » 21 Aug 2009 11:58

I have always in the past used sterling travellers cheques and have not been charged commision in the supermarkets. Since last year I have got a nationwide flexi account which gives a better rate than in the resort
Sue

Postby Jula » 21 Aug 2009 15:33

I wouldn't touch Euros personally.

As Sue says most of the supermarkets and small shops over there won't charge you for changing travellers cheques.

I always just take English Money with me i know it's a bit risky but it's the chance i take.
Jula

Postby dotty » 21 Aug 2009 15:56

Wouldn't take Euros because of the rate just now. You won't pay commission if you order through Travelex, plus free delivery to your home address if you spend over £500.
dotty

Postby mazz » 21 Aug 2009 20:06

Definitely sterling cheques - you'll get a better exchange rate.

If you can't get them commission free through your bank, the Post Office only charge 1% (unless that's recently changed of course).

You will not pay commission when cashing cheques in resort if you use a supermarket to change - try the one under the ICR office in the centre. I always use him and you'll get the same amount as you would if you were changing English cash.

Mazz
mazz

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.