Holiday Insurance Claims

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Holiday Insurance Claims

Postby Raynard » 07 Mar 2014 19:34

My wife and I should have flown from Manchester for our holiday in Icmeler on 23 Sept 2013 but for a week or so before the flight I was getting a lot of pain in my foot and could hardly walk and my doctor advised me not to travel. I informed the travel company and insurance company of my problem. After having an Xray it was found that I had a fractured metatarsal and as this was not a pre-existing medical problem I thought that it wouldn't take too long to get paid out. How wrong I was, it is only today that I received cheque for what I had paid, (less the airport taxes and the ATOL fee and the £50 each excess). My claim, which I thought was straight forward, has therefore taken over 5 months to be processed.

Have I been unfortunate or is this how insurance companies normally treat their clients?
Raynard

Advertisement

Re: Holiday Insurance Claims

Postby Keith » 08 Mar 2014 23:52

That is shocking service Raynard, and like I always say people power is a wonderful thing. perhaps if you dropped the name of the company into the conversation folk might think twice before using such a poor performing company. After all you paid them well before you needed to and like you said your claim was straight forward. Insurance companies what can I say!!, Better not!!. :x :x
Keith

Postby dragon » 05 Apr 2014 17:55

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil. I suppose the longer they can keep your money the more they make.
dragon

Postby daisysun » 06 Apr 2014 20:41

I agree with both of these comments. I had a bad experience with my holiday insurance through my bankwhich should have been straight forward- even the manager in the bank told me it should be a straight forward claim but would have to ring a separate number, did that and was told they wouldn't pay out. They have us trapped between a rock and a hard place as we need the insurance but also know we will probably have to battle to get help or a payout should we be unfortunate enough to need it
daisysun

Postby Raynard » 25 Apr 2014 19:39

Just an update.

After being told by my insurance company that they would not pay me the Airport Tax that had been paid when I made my booking, I emailed the travel company (Jet2holidays) and asked them if they would let me how to get claim back the Airport Tax, and today, after 7 months after telling Jet2holidays that I had to cancel my September holiday due to injury, they have told me that THEY will reimburse the money and pay it into my account. I think they should have told me this last September but it seems that they are not that keen in paying out unless you apply. Very disappointed in their treatment of myself and maybe the rest of customers that have needed to cancel.

My insurance company is Insurance Choice but they use a company called Travelclaimsservice which deal with any claims.

I am still waiting for a decision on a claim I put in last November.

This is not a rant because I have a patience and will make sure that I get what I believe is owed to me.
Raynard

Postby blondie » 25 Apr 2014 20:26

Good for you, I hope you do eventually get it all sorted. Really annoys me the way these companies handle these things - I think they believe that if they keep fobbing people off and making it difficult for them, they will just give up and go away, so I'm glad you're determined to keep on at them. Let us know how you get on...
blondie

Advertisement

Postby Raynard » 25 Apr 2014 20:46

Thanks for that Blondie, there must be so many guys out there that have lost money because these companies do not have any financial integrity when dealing with customers.
Raynard

Postby daisysun » 19 Jun 2014 19:55

blondie wrote:Good for you, I hope you do eventually get it all sorted. Really annoys me the way these companies handle these things - I think they believe that if they keep fobbing people off and making it difficult for them, they will just give up and go away, so I'm glad you're determined to keep on at them. Let us know how you get on...

I really do agree with this. I really think that they think that if they fob people off in the first instance or for long enough then people will just forget it. Really bad isn't it.
I hope everything goes smoothly from here on for you.
daisysun

Postby Raynard » 20 Jun 2014 13:59

I cancelled my 2nd holiday on 30/10/1013 due to my injury, which should have made my claim straight forward but after various letters and emails having to be sent, the insurance company has sent me a cheque that arrived today. Just under 8 months which I think is a little slow in making good my claim.

Insurance Choice have arranged to ring me on Monday as my policy is due for renewal. I feel very inclined to look for other quotes.
Raynard

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.